Is there away to train my cat to stay off of my bed while I'm gone?

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have to leave my bedroom door open so she can eat and use her box away from the other kittens, but I really don't want her on my bed since she's past had a problem peeing on it. I know there are deterents like double sided tape on placemats and upside down runners with spikes...but I still want her to sleep in my bed at night so if I do this during the day will it confuse her when I let her sleep with me at night?

Advice appreciated! Thanks!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you toss a sheet of plastic over it while you're away? Other then that you'll just have to move her stuff out of the room and closed her out of it while you're not home.

Go through some of the other threads in this section for more information and tips to help with the peeing problem. And of course rule out any medical problems first.

- rolls of plastic can be bought from any hardware store, or you could even use a vinyl tablecloth.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can always put lots of stuff on top of it to keep her off. Laundry baskets come to mind put around the edges of the bed.

Stephanie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Could you toss a sheet of plastic over it while you're away? Other then that you'll just have to move her stuff out of the room and closed her out of it while you're not home.

Go through some of the other threads in this section for more information and tips to help with the peeing problem. And of course rule out any medical problems first.

- rolls of plastic can be bought from any hardware store, or you could even use a vinyl tablecloth.
Oh yea, she's been to the vet, she doesn't have anything. It was probably stress because we brought some kittens in. Right now I have flattened cardboard boxes on, but I'm just paranoid that this a temporary solution because I don't want to have to keep undoing and redoing my bed...but I guess she will never really be trained to just stay off of my bed if I'm not there unless I ban her from that room, which isn't possible. Oh well, I'll just have to trust her after awhile and take off the boxes and hope she doesn't pee.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with strange_wings. Plastic is best. Besides protecting your bed, plastic isn't a favorite thing to lie down on for cats because of that "crunchy" sound it makes. Besides, you can just roll it up once you don't need it and store it in a corner until next time.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

You can always put lots of stuff on top of it to keep her off. Laundry baskets come to mind put around the edges of the bed.

Stephanie
I can't fathom anything my cats would think is cooler!
Friday loves laundry baskets! He really likes to be carried around the house in them.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

I can't fathom anything my cats would think is cooler!
Friday loves laundry baskets! He really likes to be carried around the house in them.
I was going to say that too..Trout loves obstacles..it gives her more fun things to jump on

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I must have weird cats. Neither of them like laundry baskets!!
Mainly, I think, put things up that discourage them from jumping up onto the bed. I have to do this with my dresser occasionally when Hannah forgets she's not the centerpiece for it! I also used to do this on the counters in the kitchen. I'd line up empty plastic containers like mayonaise jars and water pitchers so she wouldn't think there was room up there for her. Sometimes, it worked!

Stephanie