Frodo and his icky tail

redhairedgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Frodo, God bless him, doesn't really like to groom himself. He's a big boy (big boned, not pudgy) so maybe it's a contortionist issue. His tail is just unreal. It's just so dirty and brown, pretty much the entire length of it. The skin is really oily. My husband tried brushing it the other day and a big clump of hair came off! I looked at the link for hair and skin problems but wished it had pictures so I could compare. Any ideas? He's been on the same IAMS forever but lately it's just so gross.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YOU NEED KITTYWIPES. Get 'em at your "pet" supply store (Petco, PetsMart or local one) and use 'em to groom him. He probably won't like you interfering, but be kind and soft with him and in time, he may get the message and start grooming himself again! GOOD LUCK! (If you don't want to buy KittyWipes, you can always just use a tissue moistened in warm water; do not use harsh soaps as he can lick the residue and get sick from it!)

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now his tail needs to be washed in Dawn dish detergent to cut the oil/grease. Then after he's dried, try sprinkling some cornstarch baby powder and work it in the tail. You may have to wash his tail every so often.

Wipes won't do too much if his tail is that dirty!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

redhairedgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Right now his tail needs to be washed in Dawn dish detergent to cut the oil/grease. Then after he's dried, try sprinkling some cornstarch baby powder and work it in the tail. You may have to wash his tail every so often.

Wipes won't do too much if his tail is that dirty!
Those are both good ideas. I think we've got some wipes so I'll try that first. So do you think there's anything health-related wrong with Frodo if his hair is falling out on his tail as well?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends. The oils and dirt could cause the loss of fur. After Spooky was retired from showing, I confess I didn't keep up with the normal washing (he was a white cat) and his tail got dirty. When I cleaned it up, he did lose some of the fur on there cause of the oils.

If that's the only place he's losing fur, its probably cause of the dirt/oil. If you see any red spots, etc. then have a vet look at him.

Can you post a picture of his tail now?