Guess what??? Ziggy (patched tabby) kitten is a boy!

nicochick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Had to take one of Pixie's kittens - Ziggy the patched tabby to the vets at the weekend because of a weepy eye and the vet said he is a boy! I really thought, like others on here that he would be a girl, but the vet seemed pretty certain! Has anyone known before of patched tabbies being a boy? By the way we got antibiotics from the vet as he was also sneezing quite a lot and shorly I'm going to pick up some eye drops as his eye is still weepy and looks very sore. I hope he gets better soon.

Besides that all the kittens are doing very well, they are 4 weeks old today and 3 out of 4 are eating kitten food and using the litter tray, just little Jasper to go - should I be worried that he's not showing any interest in the food yet? I've tried putting it around and in his mouth a bit, like I did with the others, but he's totally uninterested! Will post some new piccies soon!

Just a reminder of Ziggy;

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be extremely rare if Zig is a boy cause its the same deal as a male tortie or male calico. 99.9% are female. Its possible, but I think Zig's a girl. Sometimes vets can be fooled. I'd wait another month and see what she/he looks like.

My little rex female looked a LOT like a boy from the time she was born! Found out he was female when getting the first shots at 8 weeks old. But she really did look like she had balls

If they are nursing fine, don't push the food on them for another week or two - most of my kittens were not ready to eat solids till a good 5-6 weeks old before they would try.

pai-thagoras

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am new to the cat world myself and didn't realise that certain colourings within breeds could be so dominated by a gender!

He is going to be a very handsome boy though, he is gorgeous! And I hope his eye clears up soon

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH! I LOVE that one leg is one color & the other leg is another color... that is one ADORABLE KITTY

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pai-thagoras

I am new to the cat world myself and didn't realise that certain colourings within breeds could be so dominated by a gender!

He is going to be a very handsome boy though, he is gorgeous! And I hope his eye clears up soon
It's not within a breed... The reason Calicos are predominantly female is because to be a calico you need two X chromosomes because the coding for black and orange coat colors is on the X chromosome. The only way normally to have both black and orange (calico) patches is to have two X chromosomes. Males can usually only be orange OR black because they only have one X chromosome. Male calicos generally are male cats with an extra X chromosome (XXY males).

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There was an adult Torbie/Patched Tabby Male here at the Humane Society. Definately a male!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They do occur but are pretty rare. I'd still wait a month or two and see if he/she really has some balls back there

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to add that Ziggy's coloring is gorgeous! His face is so bright it almost looks like it's been painted!
So cute...

hdizzy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a cool story! I would have assumed that it was a female just by the coloring. Very cool and sooo pretty. Very unique as well. Thanks for sharing!