sick kitten!

swinger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hey guys, our 3 month old kitten shalom is at the vet's right now for observation.. when my girlfriend woke u p this morning, shalom was wrapped up in a donut and was pretty weak. she would walk like she was drunk and her feet were wobbly. she pooped in the litterbox but could barely stand, she even steeped on her poop trying to get out. she was too weak to dig. then when we got to the vet, she was acting pretty normal although still visibly wobbly like her back legs were asleep. but she was interacting with the other cats but couldn't jump or run. she tried to stand up on the cage but her legs gave in. i hope she'll be okay and i know its not too serious coz the vet said she was acting normal. has anyone ever had this sort of thing happen to their cats?

hermione_drumme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, but those were small foster kittens (only about 8 weeks old) after the first dose of dewormer. They recovered soon afterwards, but it definitely scared us!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swinger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she's up and fine already! she doesn't have drunk feet anymore and seems very energetic and happy! the vet just gave us science a/d and we switched her to wet food. must've been her poor diet that made her weak. but we'll just keep feeding her right and hopefully she'll continue to be a happy cat (and hopefully fatter)! thanks for the vibes guys!

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear your sweet baby is better, BUT what do you mean she was wrapped up in a donut???? A DONUT? Like Dunkin' DOnuts or a donut pillow or she herself was in the shape of a donut?

swinger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by menasmom

I'm so glad to hear your sweet baby is better, BUT what do you mean she was wrapped up in a donut???? A DONUT? Like Dunkin' DOnuts or a donut pillow or she herself was in the shape of a donut?
haha sorry for that!
she was curled up in a "donut-like" position. i think she was cold from the A/c being on full blast. we're glad she's all better! the doc said she would be fine as long as we stick to her new diet. here's a pic of little shalom with her golden paw!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is that a flea collar around her neck? If so, please remove it, it could be the source of your problem. Flea collars are highly toxic especially to young kittens.

swinger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Is that a flea collar around her neck? If so, please remove it, it could be the source of your problem. Flea collars are highly toxic especially to young kittens.
its just a normal collar. whats the difference between a normal collar and a flea collar? are they the same thing?

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A flea collar contains medication to repel or kill fleas. Commonly available over the counter brands are known to be toxic. If you need flea medication only use brands such as Advantage, Frontline or Revolution purchased from your vet.

Shalom is a beautiful kitten.
I hope she continues to do well. Small kittens need lots of food so don't skimp on the amount you give her.

swinger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jean44

A flea collar contains medication to repel or kill fleas. Commonly available over the counter brands are known to be toxic. If you need flea medication only use brands such as Advantage, Frontline or Revolution purchased from your vet.

Shalom is a beautiful kitten.
I hope she continues to do well. Small kittens need lots of food so don't skimp on the amount you give her.
thanks for the info! in that case, no, its not a flea collar
we wont be skimping on the food from now on. i'll be monitoring her diet even if she lives with her mom (my girlfriend).

stripeytiger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by menasmom

I have to admit I wondered that too

Glad your beautiful kitten is much better. It sounded like an awful thing to happen to a kitten. I've just looked up what hills a/d is as I didn't know, and I see that its for cats recovering From Serious Illness, Accidents and Surgery. Can I ask had Shalom just been spayed? Or did the vet explain what had been wrong with her?

swinger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
nope she hasn't been spayed yet. when my girlfriend got her she would feed her what the other cats were being fed (fish and rice). the vet said it was from all the carbs she was eating, hypoglaecemia i think. she was probably weak from the lack of fat and protein. (its hard to see how fat she is from all the fluff!) anyway, she's now on a wet food diet with iams as her dry food for treats and in between wet food feedings. she's better now, jumping and running around without her drunk feet.
for awhile there i thought she had "wobbly kitten disease" which is a nervous system disorder that is incurable. i goggled it last night and was really worried that she might have it. but it looks as if shes fine now since she was able to recover so fast.

stripeytiger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yup, wee kittens do need a good diet for their development so that they grow up into strong healthy cats and there is lots of advice on here, notably by the admirable Sharky
Glad she's doing better