What age can a kitten be neutered?

3angels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was just curious what is the right age for a kitten to be neutured?
I want to make sure it is done at the right age and I don't wait to long but I also don't want the kitten to be too young. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some vets will do it at 2 lbs or 8 weeks old. But IMO I'd wait till about 3 months old at the youngest. Charlie was done at 3 1/2 months old - about 2 weeks before we got him

tigerlord

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vet said 6 months, especially female, as removing important reproductive organs before that causes a hormonal imbalance which could prevent or obstruct growth.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Male and female kittens can mate and get pregnant as young as 4 months old - so waiting longer you take the chance of a female getting pregnant and 4-6 months old is NOT wise to be pregnant!

tigerlord

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unless you have male/female at home, Id wait until 6 months old before letting any of your cats out, and endure any heat periods until they are of age.

I'm in human medschool and not veterenary medschool, but as it is with women who get an hysterectomy, it DOES cause a hormonal imbalance, and I'd be prepared to bet premature menopause at 4 months old is as bad as a pregnancy at 4 months old.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat breeders in Oz get their kittens done at about 10 weeks so they can go to their new homes at 12 weeks. I waited until Blossom was 5 months, cats I've had previously I've always had done at 6 months.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had kittens done at 12 weeks, Demetri was done by his breeder at 10 weeks. At the animal shelter we do them at 8 weeks, never had any trouble.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2lbs (1kg) or 3 months for me
, but I have been known to wait a bit longer on the girls to see how they turn out at 6 months before spaying.

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We do it as soon as they reach 2 lbs for girls. The rescue does it with boys as small as 1lbs 10 oz.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerLord

Unless you have male/female at home, Id wait until 6 months old before letting any of your cats out, and endure any heat periods until they are of age.

I'm in human medschool and not veterenary medschool, but as it is with women who get an hysterectomy, it DOES cause a hormonal imbalance, and I'd be prepared to bet premature menopause at 4 months old is as bad as a pregnancy at 4 months old.
But we are talking about cats, not people. i think things are a little different.

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet recommended 5-6 months. I have a boy and a girl cat living together so they had their surgery at approx. 5 months.

flutterby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet won't do it until they're 6 months old.. But Petrie is fairly large for being as young as he is (already 5lbs @ 3-3 1/2 months) so I'm going to see if they won't do it a month early..

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We neuter and spay at 2 pounds. A study shows that kittens who get spayed and neutered early are more loving and easily adapt to changing situations. I will find the study and post it so you can read it for yourself. Having taken litter of kittens in to be spayed at 6 months and finding the females are pregnant already from their brothers, I now get my rescues done when they reach 2 pounds in weight.

http://www.cfa.org/articles/health/early-neuter.html