Vibes for fishy!!!

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ugggh I hate myself, I was cleaning up and accidentally knocked my siamese fighter fish vase on the ground and he fell out!! i got him back in right away but i don't know if he'll live or not, he's swimming around now but still......
Poor little steve.

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's swimming around fine I wouldn't worry abnout him. I have one too and he can't be hurt by anything (literally anything)!
They're really hardy creatures.

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He should be fine if he's swimming, but keep an eye on him . Infections could manifest after a few days because his slime coat has been disturbed. Put a towel over his tank to reduce stress and keep him calm. Good luck with little Steve

annericebowl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree. He should be fine. Keep us updated.

I also have a "Siamese Fighting Fish" (Betta splendens). He was in a 5 gallon filtered aquarium in my kitchen, but I had to move him to a 2.5 gallon, which is also in my kitchen.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a pink betta the would jump out of the hole in the top of the 1.5 gallon aquarium he was in. Almost every morning I would find him on the kitchen counter. I would toss him back in the tank and he would be fine. He finally stopped doing it after awhile. I am surprised he never got eaten by a cat.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
add some aquarium salt ... add extra slime coat stuff and you should be fine ...

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would also suggust doing several partial water changes over the next few days, as fresh water will help him fight off any infections. If he does start getting red/puffy areas on his fins or tail, you can check out mardel's line of fish meds...maroxy is their anti-fungal med and maracyn I and II (II is usually a better bet) are good antibiotics.

I wouldn't suggust adding salt because some fish don't take well to a sudden change in salinity (and some fish, i.e. loaches are extremely sensitive to it). A.P. bettafix is also supposedly good stuff: http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...fixremedy114oz But I haven't used it. Do NOT use AP Melafix on bettas, they are sensitive to the tea tree oil in it.

You might also want to include an airstone in his bowl, although they can breath from the surface, water movement IMO is always a good thing.

HTH,
Art (can you tell that I used to mod on an aquaria forum? )

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well he seems fine! No swelling, no slime (yet) his eyes are ok and he is still playing with kitty everytime she goes to drink out of his tank! So I think he'll be ok. Keeping an eye on him though and I've done little bits of water changes!

Thanks guys, Cat people are way to helpful!

annericebowl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by artgecko

I wouldn't suggust adding salt because some fish don't take well to a sudden change in salinity (and some fish, i.e. loaches are extremely sensitive to it). A.P. bettafix is also supposedly good stuff: http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...fixremedy114oz But I haven't used it. Do NOT use AP Melafix on bettas, they are sensitive to the tea tree oil in it.

HTH,
Art (can you tell that I used to mod on an aquaria forum? )
Some fish are sensitive because they are scaleless. You could add aquarium salt disolved in a seperate container to let it disolve, and then add it a little over a period of time. Melafix has been known to permanently damage the finnage of bettas.

I am a mod on 3 different fish forums.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's great! The water changes should help reduce the chance of him developing an infection. Keep us posted!

AnneRice-which forums? I was a mod on fishgeeks up until recently (unfortunately a sloooow internet connection forced me to resign. Also, fyi, corydoras cats are extremely sensitive and they do have scales, so really depends on the particular species, but yes, all scaleless fish are more sensitive to any type of meds and salt.

Art

annericebowl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by artgecko

That's great! The water changes should help reduce the chance of him developing an infection. Keep us posted!

AnneRice-which forums? I was a mod on fishgeeks up until recently (unfortunately a sloooow internet connection forced me to resign. Also, fyi, corydoras cats are extremely sensitive and they do have scales, so really depends on the particular species, but yes, all scaleless fish are more sensitive to any type of meds and salt.

Art
I am a mod on www.topicaltropicalfishforum.forumu.org (local forum), www.uniquebettas.com, and www.fishfreakscichlids.com (run by a local cichlid guy; I mod the betta section). I was alaos a mod on a betta breeding forum last year, but it has since closed. I am also a member of the Omaha Marine Society. As far as I know, I am the only member without a marine tank. lol That was sold due to divorce. lol Any who...I am also a member of a whole lotta fish, shrimp, marine, planted tank, and rat forums. Where ever you see "AnneRiceBowl", that's me.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
off topic... Not a MOD for fish just a hobbiest who listens
... I dont salt any tank with a pleco or a cory thou two of my mentors do but temp and tank size are BIG considerations///

How is the fishy

k.j.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Keep his water clean. How big of a vase is he in? Under one gallons are unacceptable. Melafix and Bettafix had the same ingredients; only, melafix is far stronger, so you just have to add less of a dose, but I don't really like using either.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by K.J.

Keep his water clean. How big of a vase is he in? Under one gallons are unacceptable. Melafix and Bettafix had the same ingredients; only, melafix is far stronger, so you just have to add less of a dose, but I don't really like using either.
NO they arent one is anti bacterial and the other is anti fungal
Melafix is antibacterial via tea tree oil .... Pimafix is antifungal from a leaf

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

NO they arent one is anti bacterial and the other is anti fungal
Melafix is antibacterial via tea tree oil .... Pimafix is antifungal from a leaf
No, K.J. was right; MelaFix and -BettaFix- are the same. You must have thought they said "PimaFix", when really, they said "BettaFix". And I wouldn't use either Mela- or BettaFix, either. The tea tree oil in both products have been said to coat the gills of bettas and make it harder for them to breathe.

Hi, AnneRiceBowl. *waves* I'm from UB, too.

And I agree with everyone else; as long as he seems fine, with no infection, and as long as he gets good, regular water changes, he should be fine.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katzyn

No, K.J. was right; MelaFix and -BettaFix- are the same. You must have thought they said "PimaFix", when really, they said "BettaFix". And I wouldn't use either Mela- or BettaFix, either. The tea tree oil in both products have been said to coat the gills of bettas and make it harder for them to breathe.

Hi, AnneRiceBowl. *waves* I'm from UB, too.

And I agree with everyone else; as long as he seems fine, with no infection, and as long as he gets good, regular water changes, he should be fine.
OPPPSSS but for those who dont know

Ingrediants
pimafix pimenta racenosa
http://www.killerplants.com/plant-of...k/20070122.asp

ie bay leaf

melafix meleluca ( ie tea tree oil)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melaleuca

VERY different plants

OPPP
Yes betta is the same as mela ...

Bettafix I have only seen online ...lol.. not in my area ...

I have used melafix but someone told me to half dose the directions long ago

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AnneRiceBowl

LOL Hey Kat!! Followin' me, ehhhhhh?
Heh, no, no, my dear; I think it is -you- who is following -meeeeee-....=D

I was here first, so, XP

Yeah, the BettaFix is just a smaller dose of the MelaFix. =/ But a lot of people of the betta forum that Anne and I go to don't like using it, because they have seen nasty side effects of it, such as gill defects, which sometimes lead to death. My own recently deceased betta suffered from the BettaFix I once used. You know how bettas have gill beards that come out when they flare at each other (or themselves in a mirror =P)? Well, my betta's beard wouldn't come out completely. Half of it remained folded in under his gills, while the other half came out normally. Made him look halarious, and not threatening at all.
He eventually somewhat recovered, but his gill beard was neevr returned to normal after I used that stuff.