In need of cat carrier recomendations

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey folks,

My two kittens are now topping 5,1/2 pounds each, so I'm in the market for two new cat carriers. I had recently bought a "deluxe" two door cat carrier at petsmart for our adopted 3 year old (14lb) cat and was happy with it, until the rubber handle piece started seperating and exposing the small metal handle inside (now the rubber is completely gone and I've had to make a ghetto-handle out of bandaging material and black electrical tape). . .

So, I'd like your opinions and suggustions on which brands / models of carriers to get. I'd like to get something that isn't extremely expensive ($20 or less would be great) and would prefer two-doors, but one door is doable. I'd also like a carrier that is big enough for at least a 10lb adult cat. So please, let me know what you're using and what you'd reccomend.

Thanks for your time and advice!
Art

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a soft-sided carrier and a hard one - the hard one I got at Petsmart for about $25. Its a Petmate Kennel cab - should hold a cat about 10-15 lbs. Charlie's about 10 lbs now and its fine for him.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Oliver has a soft sided bag (haha, looks like a glorified gym bag to me)... the one end zippers open and so does the top... has short handles and a shoulder strap... has a leash clip inside and a storage pocket on the back... I got it at Petsmart, not sure how much it was, but definitely not astrinomical as I don't have tons of money either... Oliver's 15 pounds and it works great for him... I fold up a blanket to put inside and I leave it out and open and he often goes in to take naps... he's even gotten to "packing himself" when he knows we're going somewhere

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a PetsMate hard plastic one and a collapsable soft sided one.

The zipper on the soft side one has a glitch - one area that just won't zip anymore. Zoey managed to hook her paw in it and open the crate on our recent car trip.
She doesn't mind traveling in it. I leave it set up all of the time and she even sleeps in it during the cold months.

My son's dog chewed the plastic door lock on the PetsMate carrier. He called the company and ordered a replacement door. It was very reasonable and the company shipped it out that day.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Petsmart has a good soft side selection for low $$ but if you catch the end of season you get a bargin.. I got one for Zoey for 5 $

I have 3 hard sided , five soft sided

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, check on craigslist in your area for a used carrier. If you pick one up that way, be sure to clorex it out and let it dry very well before using it

I know I've seen them listed on our craigslist from time to time.

mechanicalman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just ordered the same Petmate "Deluxe" carrier from PetSmart's website. I read the reviews, so I knew the handle was going to be garbage before buying it. I thought it would be easy to either wrap the handle or replace it with a better handle. I'm sure I'll find something that works. And I won't be using the carrier very often.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your replies!

mechanicalman- just be ready for it to start coming off immediately...You wouldn't think that a "deluxe" carrier would have such a crappy handle.

I hadn't thought about soft-sided carriers, but that might end up being my best option, since I'm low on space and $$. The kittens aren't overly destructive when we're in the car, so I think the carrier would survive, plus they'd be able to see each other better. (honestly, I think one of them suffers from seperation anxiety whenever I, or the other kitten (and especially both of us) goes out of the room).

I'll look into all of the types you mentioned.

Thanks again!
Art

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The soft sided one I got Oliver has held up great... before I figured out what "works" for us on car rides, he would turn into the spawn of the devil and bite and claw at the carrier... never broke it or anything (and some of this happened before I started using the soft paws or when some had fallen off)... so I'm pretty sure the soft ones would survive the kittens

One thing I thought of... are you planning any airline travel with these cats, ever? If you are, I'd save up some dough and invest in the airline approved kind (usually stated on the packaging) just because it'd make no sense to have to buy new crates if you end up flying... just a thought!

mechanicalman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you're happy with a hard case, then I think you should just replace the handle on the carrier you already have. What about finding or making a small webbing strap with swivel clips? That's what I'm going to use--the kind of thing that is used as a detachable shoulder strap on luggage, but one that is small enough to be used as a handle. I've already got one that should work.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies!
Buzby- No, no airline travel in the foreseeable future.

MechanicalMan- Unfortunately, I have three cats (large adult who I bought the "deluxe" carrier for) and the two kittens (who have been using a carboard pet box while they were small).

Thanks again!
Art

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have also been shopping for a third carrier. I have one of those Deluxe 2-door carriers - great concept, but I cannot understand WHY they don't do something about those handles. Mine is still in perfect condition, but the handle is so thin that my hand gets quite uncomfortable carrying it when there's a 10lb cat inside. My other carrier is an ooooold Kennel Cab carrier that has the best handle I've seen, and is much sturdier than the carriers I've seen at Petco, etc. I'm starting to think my best bet might be to shop garage sales if I want quality!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NinaCaliente

I have also been shopping for a third carrier. I have one of those Deluxe 2-door carriers - great concept, but I cannot understand WHY they don't do something about those handles. Mine is still in perfect condition, but the handle is so thin that my hand gets quite uncomfortable carrying it when there's a 10lb cat inside. My other carrier is an ooooold Kennel Cab carrier that has the best handle I've seen, and is much sturdier than the carriers I've seen at Petco, etc. I'm starting to think my best bet might be to shop garage sales if I want quality!
That's one of the reasons I like the soft carrier... it's much easier to tote a 15 pound cat around with the shoulder strap than the short handles haha

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks again for your replies!

I know, you'd think a "deluxe" carrier would have a deluxe handle.

I have to go to walmart today, so I'll look for soft-sided carriers and hard-sided ones there to see what selection they have. A friend of mine got a soft-sided carrier there for $12 and it's held up very well for her (even if her cat HATES it). We got a couple of pet/kennel cab carriers years ago for our two cats (had to have been 16+ years ago) and unfortunately, we gave them to my brother/sister-in law for their cats..they are still working great with all handles, doors, etc. still attached and functioning. I guess they just "don't make them like they used to" which is an all too common problem now.

Art

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nikita in her carrier. It's a hard plastic crate. Only one door but it's sturdy and it has held up well. (She's on a harness and leash there and I always take her outside in the carrier rather than directly through the door)

I leave it out in my apartment all the time and it's her favourite sleeping spot for when she wants to be alone.

I don't remember how much it was when I bought it but it wasn't that much. She's a 12 pound cat and still fits in it (it was huge for her when she was a kitten)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have 2 of the double-door variety and I understand about the handles. But, what do you expect when the rubber piece is slit down the bottom to just fit over the handle?!?
Both of my handles are still intact, and I've had one carrier for almost 10 years. I've been looking into getting one of those soft handle things that velcros together that you use to carry your plastic grocery bags in. (It's made of that soft elastic-type foam stuff.) If it was too wide, I could easily cut it down to fit the size of the handle.

mechanicalman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

I've been looking into getting one of those soft handle things that velcros together that you use to carry your plastic grocery bags in. (It's made of that soft elastic-type foam stuff.) If it was too wide, I could easily cut it down to fit the size of the handle.
Yeah, there are similar things sold as wraps for luggage handles. There are a lot of things that could be done to wrap or replace the handle, so it shouldn't be a problem.