Baths

nar1122

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know that cats clean themselves, but is it necessary to give them a bath every once in a while??

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they are greasy or dirty you might give them a bath, but they don't really need one too often. Riley actually just had a bath today because he has some cleanliness issues with the long hair on his backside and sometimes gets a bit icky there

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't hurt. I think its good to condition any cat to giving a bath just in case you need to do it for many reasons.

I show cats, so all my cats/kittens get introduced to bathing on a regular basis. Ling is not shown, but she will get a bath a few times a year just because

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nar1122

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay. Im sure my cat will eventually need baths, so I guess I should get him introduced now, while he's still pretty young.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by nar1122

Okay. Im sure my cat will eventually need baths, so I guess I should get him introduced now, while he's still pretty young.
That's not a bad idea. Jamie is eight, and has had to be bathed on two occasions. He got into a bag of charcoal as a kitten, and in July he bit a vet tech and her blood got all over him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nar1122

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LOL

I just want him to get used to the baths, so that if anything ever happens (like did to you) then, I can easily bathe him without being clawed to death.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would think it would take frequent, regular bathing to get a cat "used to" getting baths. One here and there is not going to help with that.

My cat doesn't go outside, and has the silkiest fur. I can smell zero odor on him so I just don't think a bath is necessary.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nar1122

It's a good idea to get him aquainted with a bath now if you plan on bathing him at some point. If he's short hair, he may never need one but if he's long hair, more then likely he will at some point. Either way it's probably a good idea to test the waters now!

az<3me

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my cat tought ME how to make bathing FAST and FURIOUS lollll if it lasts more that 3 minutes it will turn to wet fight
i do it once in a month, cuz he runs over the house, plays in all corners, "collects" dust from all secret places
not that i dont clean my house but u kno, there are always couple of dusty places that cat will visit in regular basis, just to make sure that everything is explored lol

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, but rexes only take 3-5 mins for washing anyway. Spooky was so good - he'd stand in the tub and not try to jump out when being washed.

Now Charlie has followed in his footsteps. Was so good last nite - just sat there when shampooing and rinsing and stayed when I told him to stay.

az<3me

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
when it takes longer than usual, he starts making that funny mosquito-like sound

Once i had a dream: i saw Givi with puffy tail
If he was a longhaired cat, floors in our house would have stayed cleen all the time LOL