One of my cat's may have peed on my bed...

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Just wanted to go to bed when I saw my two cats were already in the bedroom. They had slept next to me in the living room and suddenly both gotten up. So I came to the bedroom. Singa was on the bed sniffing at the blanket (I thought she wanted to sleep there which is odd because she rarely does it) and Soleil was next to the bed watching her.
So I get ready for bed and slip udnerneath the covers. After a couple of minutes I turned to the other side and notice that the blanket is wet.
So I checked and there is a wet spot the size of a large pizza on the blanekt.
I sniffed it but could barely make out a slight smell - more like wet old blanket smell. since there was no waterglass around (which they have knocked over my bed before) I am still quite sure that one of the two relieved herself.
I took off the cover and I also cannot see a stain. It really seems like a plain water stain.
But Soleil jumped on the bed, sniffed it AND tried to "cover up" - using her paw to dig around it... (like in the litter box).
So my question: Can it be that it is color and scentless????
And how will I know which of the two did it? I need to check if she is feeling unwell right???

Pls help! Really appreciate any comment!
Thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe I must say that Singa is close to 2.5 yrs old and sterilized and Soleil approx 9 months and now the first time in heat (no worries getting her done soon, but she developed so slowly that I wasn't too sure if I coudl go ahead at the 'normal' age of 6 months)...
Thanks!

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, one of your cats peed on your bed. No doubt about it. The sniffing gives it away. Often peeing on beds, pillows, laundry and other soft spots is the first sign of a urinary tract infection or urinary tract crystals. The cat looks for some other place to pee because it's uncomfortable. Do you have a pretty good suspicion about which one did it? The cat that did it should go to the vet for a urinalysis. If you don't know which, I'd suspect the older one as more likely. I suppose you could also confine them in two seperate rooms each with their own litterbox and find out which one doesn't want to pee in the box. The one that did the sniffing and scratching isn't necessarily the one who peed. Sometimes other cats will "clean up" after another cat has used the litterbox. In my experience, it's the guilty cat that usually ignores the wet spot.

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh man! I wish you would have told me it was something else.....

so why is it scentless and doesn't seem to yellow?
and can a cat with UTI still pee so much?? If I have aUTI it is just small amounts with a lot of pain.

I would say it's the younger one as she once has peed on a towel when she was a baby. Singa has never used anything but the litterbox (except the sink once)
Best I'll get them both checked...

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know if your younger kitty is spayed (it sounds like she isn't yet, but she's going to be once she's out of heat?), but I wanted to say that right before Molly was spayed, she started peeing on my parents bed all the time. It wouldn't be one particular spot; she'd pee by the pillows one day, then down by the feet the next, then somewhere in the middle, then a corner, and so on and so forth. This little kitty never ever peed anywhere other than a litterbox (poopy accidents didn't count, since she had bowel issues and understandably might not have made it to the box in time), except one time when she peed on a towel that I'd laid out in the bathtub (I was feeding my dog in the tub, to get him used to the bathroom, and I put down towels to keep his toesies from getting shocked with the cold tile). But once she got spayed, the peeing stopped, and she hasn't done it ever again. Now, if a puddle of pee shows up on the bed, it's because Willow was there and she smelled a hint of old pre-spayed Molly-pee and felt the need to mark it herself (she's spayed too, btw). I don't remember if Molly's pee had a scent, though mom would complain about how she smelled pee all night and didn't discover the source until the following morning. But a week ago or so, Willow peed on our leather recliner, and she peed, and peed, and peed (so a huge puddle collected underneath). I couldn't detect a smell, though I didn't shove my face next to it. I just wiped up the leather, sprayed a neutralizer, and dried it. I didn't get down to the cracks of the back of the seat, though, and if you sit on that chair, you can't smell anything at all. Turns out Willow had an infection; the vet found some blood in her urine. Don't know if infections make for scentless pee, but there you go.

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just came back from the vet. He says that he is assuming it was Soleil as she is currently in heat. She got a Q-tip satisfaction
and a hormone shot to get out of heat in order to procede with the spaying. Appointment is made for 12th Oct.
He also said that a spayed cat's pee doesn't smell.
But that would mean it was Singa and not Soleil... anyways.. no UTI detected in both cats so all fine and I just need to monitor I guess.

Got an enzyme remover and will try to get rid of all markings... hope it works.

thanks

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's a pretty safe assumption that it was your girl in heat who did the deed. Peeing is one of the ways they advertise their "availability".

cr33py

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I gave a cat to one family. After a few months they returned her to me because she was peeing and doing the other stuff on the bed. When I take her back home she behave perfectly and didn't do any not appropriate stuff. I gave her when she was 2 months old and get her back when she was 7 months. She is not sprayed and now she is year and half old and I don't have any problems with her.

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought I had problems when Friday night I was waken by Juno hacking on my bed. I grabbed the small flashlight I keep on the nightstand, but didn't see anything. Well, in the AM I saw two yucky hairballs on the quilt. At least they were easily removed and the quilt is washable.

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Soleil peed for the third time on out bed. It's yucky and stinky and always a different spot on the quilt so I don't think she is doing it because she thinks is a toilet....
i'm getting her sterilized on Friday and I CAN'T WAIT!!!

She is really costing my last nerve. If she doesn't stop after she is spayed I really don't see how I can keep her!
sorry to say this, but she is like the devil's cat. she does nothing right...

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So now that you know it's Soleil, have you had her checked for a UTI? Perhaps they could do it when you bring her in to be spayed. Getting a urine sample by "cysto" is easy and gives results almost immediately. You might want to ask your vet about it.

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

So now that you know it's Soleil, have you had her checked for a UTI? Perhaps they could do it when you bring her in to be spayed. Getting a urine sample by "cysto" is easy and gives results almost immediately. You might want to ask your vet about it.
I had both cats checked for UTI after the first incident. But the vet ruled it out and said it was probably because Soleil is in heat. And she really only uses the bed when she has access to it - she doesn't pee anywhere else.

Do you think Feliway will help for now???

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Today, while I was at work, I kept my bedroom door closed. When we just came back we noticed a very intensive smell of pee.

Soleil has happiliy peed on one of my huge floor pillows. bit by bit, spot by spot. It's so bad that I had to throw it!

What can I do??? I got 4 more days to wait!!

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a room you can confine her in that has hard surface floors and nothing for her to pee on? Put her in there with two litterboxes, food, water, cat bed, and toys.

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

Do you have a room you can confine her in that has hard surface floors and nothing for her to pee on? Put her in there with two litterboxes, food, water, cat bed, and toys.
Why does she need 2 litterboxes? Is she picky about pooping and peeing in 2 different boxes? She never was before....

dauntingfire

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Generally it's good to have multiple litter boxes. (and clean them every day)

But no worries. She's not trying to be mean to you by peeing on your things.
She's just found a spot where she wants to 'advertise' and doesn't realize it's a bad thing. (Punishment after the fact never works with cats, it'll just make them afraid of you)

With kitties it's generally good to spay them before they go into heat.
They really don't know any better! They're just doing what nature intended and I don't think nature had comforters and quilts on it's mind when designing a cat...

Hang in there, it's just a few more days.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vera, cats can change their minds. And you'd be surprised how many cats like to pee in one box and poop in another.

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have confined both of them to the kitchen, as I only have 2 boxes I decided to put both cats in there with the 2 boxes.

Now they are looking at me through the glass door with big bambi eyes...

I really feel sorry for Singa coz it's not her fault that Soleil is such a trouble maker at the moment...

sigh...