Eeks, not a toy mouse!

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was running around, getting ready for work on Friday. I made a quick trip through the living room and started picking up the cat toys off the floor. There was a real-fur mouse on the floor and as I got ready to pick it up, I noticed the tail was NOT one of the flat leather ones, it was round and pointed.
It was a real mouse. I thought maybe he was playing dead, but he wasn't.

I think he was probably scared to death, there were no marks on him. The three cats deny any involvement and seem to be trying to implicate the dog in this. I'm not buying it, I'm just not sure who of the three was responsible.

Poor little mouse, I hope any friends and family of his got the message about three cats in the house.

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awww, poor little thing, I have a soft spot for mousies. The first time Quill caught a mouse he had chased it, a pregnant female, upstairs from the basement and the mouse was dashing along the wall and Quill was just nosing her very, very gently and trying not to hurt her, it was so funny! He's not a mouser
I scooped her up without any chasing and released her outside and I hope her babies are out there somewhere, not in the house!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would have a heart attack!
I'm afraid of mice and rats. If one were in here, I think I'd have to sic Jin on it...I'd be too afraid to try to catch it!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
EEKK ... lol ... here it would be a toss up cat or dog

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Been there, done that!!
You know they caught it and left it for you to play with, right???

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the same thing happen once in our Mojave house. Down here in the big, bad city, I don't think a mouse would dare get anywhere near here (we do have racoons, squirrels, and opossums outside, though!).

Like your maneki-neko, btw!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lived out in a small farming town when I was living in Michigan and we had a lot of field mice that would get into the house. I found out that one of my cats caught a mouse after trying to slip a sneaker on with bare feet. Fortunately, I felt something in my shoe before I got it on all of the way and stood up. There was a half a mouse in there!

That's how I found out that Shadow and Midnight were mousers, and they were good at it too, if not a bit sadistic. If I was home and saw them with a catch I would put it back outside, if I didn't get to intervene they would end up "playing" with their catch before killing it.

I don't know if Charlotte or Everest are mousers, I'm guessing they would be since they will tear the apartment apart trying to catch a fly or a moth.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rhonda, be sure to watch the cats to make sure that they are not ill. A friend's cat caught his first mouse a while ago, and a week later he got VERY sick. None of her other 4 got sick, just Happy Boy. And the only thing that had been different was that he had caught that mouse. (A full round of antibiotics and he got better, but she sure was scared for him for a while!)

Most likely they will all be fine, just be on the safe side.

pookieboy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not afraid of mousies, they're really cute actually. Once my Lucy caught a mouse & then let it go in the house. I had a VERY small live trap that I had bought to catch a chipmonk the kits had brought in the house previously. I put a piece of cheese in it and within minutes that mousie was caught in that trap! I lifted it up and darn if it didn't like [Disney's] Feival in there! I then proceded to hand feed it Rice Krispies. After he had his fill I released him back into the 'wild'. Made me feel good that I had saved his life!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Rhonda, be sure to watch the cats to make sure that they are not ill. A friend's cat caught his first mouse a while ago, and a week later he got VERY sick. None of her other 4 got sick, just Happy Boy. And the only thing that had been different was that he had caught that mouse. (A full round of antibiotics and he got better, but she sure was scared for him for a while!)

Most likely they will all be fine, just be on the safe side.
Thanks for the warning, I didn't think about that. The cat (whichever one it was) did not eat it, there was no blood or marks, so I'm hoping that will be in their favor. I'll keep a watch for any signs of illness.