Here we go again-Ophelia Rose & her aggression

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ophelia's been attacking again lately. The only cat she's ever truly gotten along with, Dory, is her victim. She's also going after PJ & Punky. I do admit, there have been "kitty family" changes going on, which could be part of it, but not all. Her aggression started to escalate before the kitty family changes really started.

She hasn't had a problem with Lily(who she never meets face to face) until a month ago, when she got really worked up over seeing her feet under the door. This was before any kitty family changes went on. That was my first sign.

She's now shut in my bedroom while Dory, PJ & Punky are loose in the basement as she's gone after all 3 multiple times today.

She's on Buspar, the highest dose, 1 1/2 tabs 2x a day. I tried to find some Rescue Remedy yesterday, but I'll have to order it online I think.

What else can I try? Euthanizing her, placing her elsewhere, & moving her outdoors are not viable options.

A firm "nah" doesn't work because she's deaf. I'm just hoping someone has another suggestion I haven't tried, or can suggest any "off the wall" things to try.

Keeping her in my bedroom is a long-term option. She's lived in there for months before....I just rotate so she gets "out" time loose in the basement without the other kitties or with the other kitties under my supervision.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Nat .. Im sure that is so stressful. Tino is my warrior kitty, but hes with his Mom and littermates so it doesnt get terribly bad.

I do have some Feliway plugged in from the recent move. Him and Ducky have had a lot of issues, but have seemed to work them out.

Tino does not like change and he does not like anyone to be rowdy around him. So I make sure he has his space away from the rest that when they are playing chase and having wrestling matches he can get away from them.

Just a few days ago Kiko and Ducky were playing like 2 rowdy little boys and Tino got up, from taking a nap, went to both of them and gave them the stare down look of "You have 1 second to calm down" .. they all know his mood so they calmed down immediately.

Just do what you know to do for her to help her find her peace again. If she needs alone time, give it to her. If she loves laying in the sun, let her do it. Something probably changed around her and she just needs to find her peace again.

You know she can be calm and you know she can be tolerant, but not when things around fussy around her. Good Luck.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a possibility of changing the Buspar to another antidepressent and cycling them? Like the way you're suppposed to change dogs' proteins every so often?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Is there a possibility of changing the Buspar to another antidepressent and cycling them? Like the way you're suppposed to change dogs' proteins every so often?
I dunno. Gotta talk to the vet. I'm still on the fence with the Feliway, if it will work with the Buspar....it didn't last time I tried, but it might be worth a try again?

Amitriptyline didn't work. Vet isn't buding on Prozac(I'd have to use it for like 6 months to get any effect, so it wouldn't work so well).

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I dunno. Gotta talk to the vet. I'm still on the fence with the Feliway, if it will work with the Buspar....it didn't last time I tried, but it might be worth a try again?

Amitriptyline didn't work. Vet isn't buding on Prozac(I'd have to use it for like 6 months to get any effect, so it wouldn't work so well).
Have you tried rescue remedy or something similar along with the Buspar? I keep trying to think of disciipline measures, but they all only work with hearing cats, darn it!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Have you tried rescue remedy or something similar along with the Buspar? I keep trying to think of disciipline measures, but they all only work with hearing cats, darn it!
I haven't had success in finding Rescue Remedy & I'm avoiding ordering it to pay shipping on a lil bottle. I guess I'm gonna have to break down & order it already!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know you have a long history with this so this might be a lame idea: have you doused all of them in vanilla extract? Deaf cats seem to have extra powerful scent glands.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, don't anybody flame me here, I'm just trying to help...but...

since you can't make noise to deter her, what about a squirt bottle that you aim ONLY at her nether regions. I KNOW we don't like using water on a cat because of the ears, but I'm trying to think outside the box here.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

OK, don't anybody flame me here, I'm just trying to help...but...

since you can't make noise to deter her, what about a squirt bottle that you aim ONLY at her nether regions. I KNOW we don't like using water on a cat because of the ears, but I'm trying to think outside the box here.
I've tried that too, as a last resort. She doesn't understand what's going on & attacks me.

I really wish there was a simple solution here. I've tried vanilla extract....but I'll try it again. Put it on top of their heads & at the base of their tails, right?

I do throw things in her general direction. Beanie babies work well as they cannot hurt her but startle her enough to deter her. The thing that gets me is PJ & Punky do not grasp she hates them, they go right up to her after she attacks them....one time she'll attack, another she'll be fine?

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ask about Paxil. I'm a big fan now. It keeps Puppy in his "normal" mode and seems to have no side effects on him. The vet was worried about a loss of appetite, but it's been fine so far. He's been on it for 2 months now. We saw effects within 12 hours, but it really took 3 weeks for his system to settle to normal. During the 3 weeks, he was really lazy and sleepy. Now he sleeps a normal amount, meows ONLY when it's dinnertime and when we come home, and plays nice with Bunny.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fafeena is going to the vet tomorrow, I will ask about Paxil & other drug options. See what the vet has for suggestions. I'm hoping he's got some, but I'm afraid I've run him out of ideas.