Soon to be kitten owner ^.^

pai-thagoras

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok! New member and soon to be new to the cat owning family. I apologise in advance for the long post, but I have so many questions and excitement about this, I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t want to miss anything that could be important for the kitty.

My pet experience previously has been dogs, with a variety of hamsters and birds while growing up and living with parents. I still (mostly) live with my parents and have a dog (currently aged 13, a collie and lab cross-breed) but my boyfriend and his flatmates have agreed to get a kitten after my sister's boyfriend's cat had kittens and they need homes, since they wanted them to go to people they knew.

So, since I am living more and more with my boyfriend while I complete my last year of university I will be taking part in the whole kitten experience
I am excited as I have only ever known kittens owned by friends and relatives, my boyfriend however has lived with numerous cats out in Northumberland in his parentsâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] home, which backs onto extensive woods and rural areas for the cats to really stretch their legs and enjoy themselves. He is the only one in the house with cat experience, but not particularly with kittens, since all his cats are rescued animals, only one being a kitten when he was a child, so he didn't really have much experience raising it.

Izzy, the mother is a Birman breed cat and this is her second successful litter (she lost her first pregnancy). With her previous litter of two crossbreed kittens (a girl, that Izzyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s owner kept and named Mia and a boy who was given to a family friend) and this litter she has had four kittens, two boys and two girls which are three weeks old at the moment.

This is the mother, Izzy and the litter of four (Izzy has decided this cupboard is currently the best spot for the kittens):

Here is one of the little kitties, one of the boys:

This is Mia, the two month old daughter of Izzy from her previous litter:

Now that all the cuteness is out the way, I want to say how excited I am about the cat and to ask a few questions that I think will be best answered by other owners. The kittens are currently three weeks old, and will be 7 weeks old before we can bring one home so I have a few more weeks to learn about kitty care. I have already ordered some books by the RSPCA on cat care and specifically kitten care, but I have a few questions at the moment:

1. I know that when you bring the new kitten home it should be in a room with food, its bed and litter tray, but should this be in the room where the litter tray or food is to be permanently, or is easy to move the litter box as long as you keep taking kitty to the box to remind it and when you catch them scratching at a spot or preparing for a tinkle.

2. In the same vein, where is ideal for a litter box? I was thinking the best place to allow the cat privacy and quiet would be the bathroom, but this is on the second floor and has moments where someone may be in the shower, etc. and kitty can't get in. Any ideas and suggestions on ideal spots?

3. I was wondering which brands of cat food and kitten food is most recommended. I know there are lots of good brands out, and I just wondered if there were any particular brand recommended by the more experienced owners, or is it a matter of personal choice and taste (mostly the kittenâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s than my own
)

4. Again on the topic of feeding kitty, I was curious about which is better, dry or wet and meaty foods? I have read conflicting articles on the internet so far with my research where some sites recommend a mixture of foods (and flavours to keep kitty from getting to picky when their older) while others recommend solely dry for their teeth and encourage a proper intake of fresh water with such a diet or solely meat foods as dry can cause liver or kidney problems. I was looking into feeding a mixture of the two, but again, any extra information or tips on diet would be great.

5. House kitty or outside kitty? I am reluctant to allow kitty outside since we live in an area close to a shopping high street and I would probably be up all night if the cat was out (but I suppose this would be natural…). Our next door neighbours are an older couple and have four cats who are allowed out, and regularly come and get their tummy tickled when I hang out washing or go to the garage (more often than not they will sit on the wall and watch into the window so I can come out for a quick play), but I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t think I could share in this confidence about the area being kitty safe. I have been told by the owner of the mother that she does not go far when she is out, and a previous cat she has kept from the same mother (now 2 months) has a similar habit of only going a short distance from home when out.

I will post more pictures of the kittens after my next visit and keep you posted on kitty, and thank you all in advance for reading and any advice you can offer
:

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pai-thagoras

Ok! New member and soon to be new to the cat owning family. I apologise in advance for the long post, but I have so many questions and excitement about this, I don’t want to miss anything that could be important for the kitty.

My pet experience previously has been dogs, with a variety of hamsters and birds while growing up and living with parents. I still (mostly) live with my parents and have a dog (currently aged 13, a collie and lab cross-breed) but my boyfriend and his flatmates have agreed to get a kitten after my sister's boyfriend's cat had kittens and they need homes, since they wanted them to go to people they knew.

So, since I am living more and more with my boyfriend while I complete my last year of university I will be taking part in the whole kitten experience
I am excited as I have only ever known kittens owned by friends and relatives, my boyfriend however has lived with numerous cats out in Northumberland in his parents’ home, which backs onto extensive woods and rural areas for the cats to really stretch their legs and enjoy themselves. He is the only one in the house with cat experience, but not particularly with kittens, since all his cats are rescued animals, only one being a kitten when he was a child, so he didn't really have much experience raising it.

Izzy, the mother is a Birman breed cat and this is her second successful litter (she lost her first pregnancy). With her previous litter of two crossbreed kittens (a girl, that Izzy’s owner kept and named Mia and a boy who was given to a family friend) and this litter she has had four kittens, two boys and two girls which are three weeks old at the moment.

This is the mother, Izzy and the litter of four (Izzy has decided this cupboard is currently the best spot for the kittens):

Here is one of the little kitties, one of the boys:

This is Mia, the two month old daughter of Izzy from her previous litter:

first of welcome to the site
but is that kitten really only 2 months old ? if so she had another litter very very close to her last which isnt very healthy.
Now that all the cuteness is out the way, I want to say how excited I am about the cat and to ask a few questions that I think will be best answered by other owners. The kittens are currently three weeks old, and will be 7 weeks old before we can bring one home so I have a few more weeks to learn about kitty care.
if there is any way the kittens can stay with mum and siblings untill their at least 10-12 weeks old? they are barely weened at only 7 weeks old, and they still need to learn so much from mum and sblings to be a well adjusted cat.
I have already ordered some books by the RSPCA on cat care and specifically kitten care, but I have a few questions at the moment:

1. I know that when you bring the new kitten home it should be in a room with food, its bed and litter tray, but should this be in the room where the litter tray or food is to be permanently, or is easy to move the litter box as long as you keep taking kitty to the box to remind it and when you catch them scratching at a spot or preparing for a tinkle.
this is correct.

2. In the same vein, where is ideal for a litter box? I was thinking the best place to allow the cat privacy and quiet would be the bathroom, but this is on the second floor and has moments where someone may be in the shower, etc. and kitty can't get in. Any ideas and suggestions on ideal spots?
any spot will be fine as long as they always have access or you may find mishaps, rule of thumb always kep to litter trays.

3. I was wondering which brands of cat food and kitten food is most recommended. I know there are lots of good brands out, and I just wondered if there were any particular brand recommended by the more experienced owners, or is it a matter of personal choice and taste (mostly the kitten’s than my own
)
i feed mine with royal canin, but there will be others along soon to give you some more good brands.

4. Again on the topic of feeding kitty, I was curious about which is better, dry or wet and meaty foods? I have read conflicting articles on the internet so far with my research where some sites recommend a mixture of foods (and flavours to keep kitty from getting to picky when their older) while others recommend solely dry for their teeth and encourage a proper intake of fresh water with such a diet or solely meat foods as dry can cause liver or kidney problems. I was looking into feeding a mixture of the two, but again, any extra information or tips on diet would be great.
i always feed 2 meals of wet per day and there is always dry food left down with freash water.

5. House kitty or outside kitty? I am reluctant to allow kitty outside since we live in an area close to a shopping high street and I would probably be up all night if the cat was out (but I suppose this would be natural…). Our next door neighbours are an older couple and have four cats who are allowed out, and regularly come and get their tummy tickled when I hang out washing or go to the garage (more often than not they will sit on the wall and watch into the window so I can come out for a quick play), but I don’t think I could share in this confidence about the area being kitty safe. I have been told by the owner of the mother that she does not go far when she is out, and a previous cat she has kept from the same mother (now 2 months) has a similar habit of only going a short distance from home when out. first of all a kitten can go into heat as young as 3-4 months, im sorry if she is already spayed, but imo 2 months old is far far far to young to be letting them outside.

I will post more pictures of the kittens after my next visit and keep you posted on kitty, and thank you all in advance for reading and any advice you can offer
:
first of all welcome to the site.
second of all why is your sister allowing her cat to breed over and over again??
a 2 month old kitten is far to young to be allowed out doors.
with letting cats out it is purly your choice, so what ever you feel is best, but if you live by main roads then it may be best if you get a cat enclosoure.
litter boxs its easier to keep 2 so if she can not get to one there is always another.
about when you first bring them home you sound like you know what your doing there.
please please please try and let the kittens stay with mum and siblings untill there 10-12 weeks old, they are barely weened at 7 weeks old, and still need to learn so much from mum and siblings to be a well adjusted cat. and please spay/neuter your kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pai-thagoras

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry, should have explained

Izzy lives with my sister's boyfriend, so it belongs to his mum. This litter was thought to be from another Birman breed cat which they were trying to breed Izzy with, but when they were born and clearly black, it was obvious that the other Birman was not the father. I think when the kittens were not born pure breds the original owners she had in mind did not want them, the owner of the originally thought Birman father being one of them had turned them down outright. I think this is the last litter Izzy may be having, at least for a while, after having two litters in such a short time to let her get back to her full healthy and beautiful self.

I would like to add though, although the kittens were unwanted because of the lack of pure breeding, I will be taking one of the girls, a friend of my boyfriend will be taking the other girl to live with his other kitty and my cousin will be taking the two boys. So all the kitties have very welcome homes now

pai-thagoras

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aha! Will quickly reply to your comments you added there

I think Izzy is two months, she may be older, I will check her age and confirm this.

And I may have gotten my dates mixed up, as the cats were born 24th August and I saw them on for the first time on Sat 8th September (which was when the pictures were taken) and only a few days after their eyes were open, so I think that is about 2 weeks old. I was told it would be about 5 weeks before we could bring the kitten home, so that would make them about 7 weeks? If it is better for the kittens to be with mum longer though, I will try and meet up with Izzy's owner and talk to her about this

And never thought of 2 litter boxes, will have to think of another place to put one!

Oh! And the cat will definately be spayed/neutered. I am currently looking into the vets in the area to get advice and an idea on costs when it comes to kitties vacinations and operation.

Actually, looking at the age of the newborns, Mia must be older that 2 months, so really have must have made a mistake and will definately check that up.

Thank you for the tips tasha :3

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

To get the kitten adjusted I would leave it all in the same room and keep the kitten in that room, too. If later you want the food and litter in separate rooms, just show the kitty, she/he will know.

If you have 2 floors, I would put a box on each floor. And where you put them is up to you. My cats really do not need their privacy. I wish they did, but they dont

3. I was wondering which brands of cat food and kitten food is most recommended. I know there are lots of good brands out, and I just wondered if there were any particular brand recommended by the more experienced owners, or is it a matter of personal choice and taste (mostly the kittenâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s than my own
)

I would suggest wet over dry. Im not sure about the brands you have available there, so you can start a thread here http://thecatsite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4 in the Health and Nutrition forum to ask, if you dont find the answer here.

Again I suggest wet, but you can also read in the above link from some experts around here, what they suggest. A fresh water fountain always encourages cats to drink water. It is really a myth with dry food and teeth. Cats do not chew their food enough to have any benefit.

5. House kitty or outside kitty? I am reluctant to allow kitty outside since we live in an area close to a shopping high street and I would probably be up all night if the cat was out (but I suppose this would be natural…). Our next door neighbours are an older couple and have four cats who are allowed out, and regularly come and get their tummy tickled when I hang out washing or go to the garage (more often than not they will sit on the wall and watch into the window so I can come out for a quick play), but I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t think I could share in this confidence about the area being kitty safe. I have been told by the owner of the mother that she does not go far when she is out, and a previous cat she has kept from the same mother (now 2 months) has a similar habit of only going a short distance from home when out.

I would say inside ... but again this is just an opinion. I had a cat that was an inside/outside cat that came up missing that I have a lot of guilt from. So the 5 I have now are inside only. You will find varying opinions here. BUT with any busy street around, its certainly a chance you are taking.

Welcome to the site! I hope you find all the info you are looking for. You are doing the right thing to educate yourself and good luck and congratulations with your new addition.

pai-thagoras

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Pami, I am going to search through the forum you have linked now

And your cats are all gorgeous! I am sorry to hear about one of your cats going missing, but I have to admit, that is the reason I would hate to let them out and lose them, I would feel so guilty
I am glad your 5 cats are all healthy and happy

thanks again for the helpful comments and link!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, the ideal time to adopt any kitten is 10-12 weeks old. Taking them sooner and away from mom/siblings can cause some behavior/social problems. The longer they stay and learn so much more then just using a litter pan or eating solid foods; will have a more beneficial effect.

Second, you put them in one room with food/water and litter pan for the first week or two so they can get used to things and not be so overwhelmed. Again, if they are 12 weeks or so, they can handle the change a lot better.

Supervise their exploring for awhile and when you are not home, confine them to one room for their safety. Young kittens are like babies - would you leave a toddler alone in the entire house and expect them to be ok?

We bought Charlie home at 4 months old - he was a very confident kitten and within 2 weeks had the run of the house except the basement. That took another month before he could be trusted not to get himself in trouble.

Since you are not in the US, can't help you out with foods, but plenty of fellow UKers are on here

As far as indoors/outdoors, here in the US we are more pro indoor cat owners. If you let your kitty outside I recommend training to a harness/leash or building a safe cat enclosure in your back yard.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello & welcome to the forum. In Australia cat breeders won't let their kittens go to new homes until they are 12 weeks old & spayed/neutered. My son found Blossom at 3 weeks old so I didn't get her done until 5 mths. I was told by one of the vets that when female cats come on heat the 1st time [around 6 mths] they virtually stay on heat until they're mated so you wouldn't want to put up with their yowling.
Up until Blossom all my cats have been indoor/outdoor. 17 yrs ago my beautiful persian, Smokee, was killed on the road outside my house. Having got Blossom so young, for her safety & to keep her healthy she stays inside. She has lots of toys & a cat tree to scratch on. In my state it's law to microchip cats & have them inside from sunset to sunrise to protect the local wildlife.
We don't use out bath so her litter tray is in the bath. Don't use a clay, clumping litter as a young kitten may eat it & it would set like concrete in the gut.
I feed her a mix of wet & dry food. I read an article, I think by a professor/vet who recommends only feeding wet food. I sometimes give Blossom raw chicken/chicken bones & any meat I give to my dogs & she loves it. Chewing on bones & tearing off the flesh is good for her teeth. For dry food I'd look for a brand that has meat as the 1st ingredient.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey

I'm living in Scotland so I'm used to how things are in the UK.

First of all congrats on your new kitten-to-be

Secondly it is highly recommended that kittens stay with their mother until they are 12 weeks old. They will have finished getting their shots then and have gotten lots of extra socialisation which is really needed. I.e in particular it helps them learn to control their bites and claws when playing. Humans have thinner skin and hurt easier than other cats so the kitten will have to learn again how not to hurt you but it's MUCH easier if they have already gone through that before with their siblings.

If you need ammunition to convince the owner of the mum cat to let the kittens stay longer you can bring up that the GCCF (main cat registering body for purebred cats in the UK) essentially requires all its registered breeders to keep kittens until week 12-13 when they have finished getting their shots.

Food, if you want to feed dry food Royal Canin is very good. Quite a few people here feed that to their cats and it's a good food. I buy it from Nikita's vet here in Edinburgh but it shouldn't be too hard to get hold of.

In addition to that I would feed some wet food as well, Sheba is pretty good and easily available.

I think one feeding of wet in the evening (just before you eat yourself) and then dry food for the rest is pretty good. One plus of dry food is that if you end up with a very active cat you can make cat toys that involve the cat getting dried food out of the toy and then feed all of their dry food through that to help keep them busy. (I have an insanely active cat and have had to do that)

I am somewhat concerned by the mother cat being bred this much. It sounds quite a lot like the owners are unwitting backyard breeders. The kittens will be lovely no matter what since all cats are brilliant but imo cats should only be bred on purpose as a part of an organised breeding program specifically to improve a breed. That means only registered cats of show quality who preferably have been shown at cat shows and done well there. All the kittens should then be registered as well and sold with contracts where the breeder will accept back all the kittens if the new owner can't keep them for some reason. I.e staying responsible for the kittens for their entire lives if something doesn't work out.

The cat overpopulation problem isn't quite as bad in the UK as it is in the States but it's still pretty bad and lots of unwanted kittens get killed every year so it makes sense not to add to the mass of kittens really.

As for inside/outside. If you are worried about a street nearby you should probably keep the cat inside. You should keep the kitten inside for the first few months anyway since they are still too young to go out.

If you do let your cat out please by quite strict about never letting the cat outside at night. The foxes lurk around then and so do feral cats or other bossy hostile cats. This is in addition to drunk humans that might be around as well.

You can make that a habit by always feeding the cat in the evening after they've come back in and then never letting it out after that until the next morning.

Having said that if you do keep your cat indoors you can easily get them used to a harness and leash (I know it sounds rather weird but it works really well for most cats). I do that. I live in the middle of Edinburgh with big streets nearby so I just take Nikita out on a harness and leash. I got her used to the harness when she was a kitten and now since she has never gone outside without the harness on she associates it with outdoors and stands completely still while I put it on her etc. since she likes going outside.

If you do that definately get a cat carrier and always take the cat outside in a cat carrier even if you live on the ground floor. Then they learn that the way out goes through the cat carrier not through the door and the odds are smaller about them becoming door darters.

stripeytiger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello

Congrats on your soon-to-be new kitten, i'm sure you'll have loads of fun! Good advice so far, i'm not sure that I have much to add! I have two kittens (and two big cats).
1. For the first week or so keep the kitten in a room with her food, scratch post and litter tray until she settles in. Keep the litter tray in the room that the kitten is to based in. A second tray is a good idea as some kittens (like ours
) prefer to wee and poo in different trays.
2. Where to put the litter tray? Wherever is most convenient for you... but don't move it around as the cat will get confused about where to go. In my experience cats have no problems using trays wherever they are situated, private or not, just make sure you use the same brand of litter she's learnt to use with Izzy's owner and that its kept clean.
3 and 4. You will need to keep the kitten on the same food as Izzy's owner until she's settled in and then if you want to introduce any new food mix it in gradually to avoid an upset tum. I feed a wet and a dry as thats what my vet recommended. From personal experience my big cats (aged 8 and 10) are healthy on a mainly dry with a bit of wet diet. But i'm not an expert so can't advise. Providing fresh water is important whatever you decide.
5. Either indoor or outdoor ? Both have benefits and drawbacks. If your garden is not enclosed, and as you have a busy street nearby then inside might be safer. Also there is a danger of them fighting the cats next door if they are outside at the same time (but you could ask the owner about letting her cats out at different times as yours if this happens?) Here's useful info on this link about keeping your cat indoors http://www.fabcats.org/behaviour/cat...home/info.html
Like Siggav says you must keep cats in overnight. Mine also rarely go further than the back garden, I think neutering stops cats from roaming long distances.

pai-thagoras

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the advice and hints here :3 I have been working out which room will be best for the kittens when they arrive and I think the bedroom would be best for size and it is the room I hope for them to sleep in the future (but I guess the cat will make their mind up about that once they are exposed to the rest of the house
)

I am going to look into the links you have all posted and get my notebook out again and add to my kitten notes, hehe! Still need to find a god spot for the second litter tray on the ground floor too.

Again though thank you all for the quick and really helpful replies :3 I feel a bit better getting some answers, since these sort of things aren't really covered in some of the books and information sites I have looked at so far.

pai-thagoras

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
lol sorry Pami, I am hoping to visit the kittens again this week. But I will see if my sister can snatch up some cute up to date pictures she can send me to post asap

pai-thagoras

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually, I have a quick new question!

I read that it is nice to have a soft toy or fuzzy friend for the kitten when they first leave their mother, but I was concerned what sort of material I should look for in a toy? Incase kitty wants to nibble on this fuzzy friend I wouldn't want any bad tummies

I was going to make a toy myself, similar to his mum with a fuzzy tail and some ears, but since she is Birman then I would be looking at longer fur, is faux fur from a regular haberdashery ok for kittens? Or should I look into buying a specifically cat toy from a store, and regular stuffing would be ok? I don't mind buying the toy or course, but I love to sew, and a special kitty toy is such a cute idea

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine like those toys that are long like a pillow/snake to grab and curl up with.

But I've never given any of my kittens anything special to curl up with other then a nice soft blanket in a little cat bed.

BTW will this be an "only kitty" ? If so, would you consider adopting a litter mate so they would not miss siblings so much?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great question ..although I dont have an answer .... 4 of my cats I had when they were born, but they were with their Mother (and still are) I have always been very cautious with mine, not having anything around that they could potentially swallow ...... even now, so maybe someone who is not so neurotic about their cats can help you

I did want to post this kitten proofing your home for you
http://www.felinexpress.com/kitten-c...tten-proof.asp

pai-thagoras

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I think the kitty may have a litter mate for a short while, as my boyfriend's friend lives in edinburgh atm and won't be able to pick his kitten up immediately, so she may have a pal for a while. But my boyfriend (And his house mates) really don't want more than one cat, at least for now. Especially since me and my boyfriend are the only ones with pet experience with larger animals like cats and dogs, it may take the guys longer to adjust than the kitten
I do have some of my old baby blankets my mum has offered for the kitty and I suppose any of my soft toys can become kitty victims if necessary (but I hope not, I might be 23, but I love my snuggly toys
)

And thanks Pami! I was going to start a search for one of these as I have been pretty much surveying the house and checking everything for likely spots of feline infiltration! I got a friend who'se mum works for a pharmaceutical company to get me all the cleaning products I would possibly need to get the house nice and clean and make sure the place is as dust free as I can make it. I've already had one visit to the DIY store for some stronger magnetic door latches for the boiler cupboard incase the cat can work it open (I had to do a similar thing with my dog at home when he worked out how door handles worked
) and some polyfiller for a few holes kitties could poke at. But the guide will be great! The house also has some open fireplaces I am going to block up, just to be sure the cat doesn't turn chimney sweep on me when no one is looking

My boyfriend is laughing at me saying I am enjoying all this research and kitty preperation way to much

stripeytiger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh Golden Kitty you just beat me to it! Great minds etc. I was going to suggest a Beanie Baby too!

I read somewhere that single kittens settle in better with a soft toy so I used one of my beanie baby cats (
still have soft toys too). He snuggled up to it and was so cute!
(Then I got another kitten for him to snuggle up but thats another story
)

As well as Beanie Babies the Russ range does nice soft toy cats too, you can probably find them in a card shop or somewhere like that in Newcastle?