I'm FUMING!! (Long, sorry)

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't even know if this is the right section to put this into but I'm so annoyed..........

My next door neighbours (who have never been very friendly) recently got two kittens. They are about 12 weeks old judging by the size of them.We let Harry out the back when we're around and he never wanders far and since the kittens came he goes into their back yard and vice-versa. They play with each other.

This morning I got up early. Both kittens came into my yard and cried a lot. They kept trying to get into my house. I noticed my neighbours' car was gone. I eventually gave in and gave them some leftovers that Harry wouldn't eat. They have stayed in my yard all day and still no sign of the neighbours. Someone did call round to feed them at one stage but just once the whole day. I fed them again about 2 hours ago because they sat at the patio door crying constantly and I felt sorry for them. I was against feeding them as I don't want to encourage them but they were so pitiful. They devoured the food.

I cannot believe that these neighbours have obviously gone away for the weekend and left 2 kitties so young outside for so long. I'm really angry and I would take them inside except a) Harry would get annoyed and b) they are not my cats. But clearly these are people who have got cats without thinking about the responsibility. I am going to speak to them when they eventually return and just suggest that if they want to go away again, maybe they would ask me to feed their cats as I am only next door. Anything than witness what I witnessed this weekend.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At 12 weeks they shouldn't be on their own outside fullstop!

If they've gone away like that i would be in touch with the RSPCA i'm afraid.

Where are they sleeping at night?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

At 12 weeks they shouldn't be on their own outside fullstop!

If they've gone away like that i would be in touch with the RSPCA i'm afraid.

Where are they sleeping at night?
I agree that they shouldn't be out alone but I know for a fact that the ISPCA won't touch them unless there are signs of mistreatment or starvation. The stray cat problem is out of control in this country so any home is better than no home I'm afraid. They don't even seem to have proper shelter; they have bedding but no cover. Luckily it hasn't rained in days but I have left our shed open for them tonight just in case.

I get angrier every time I think about it!!

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention; the walls are fairly thin and we heard a big argument one night between the guy and the girl living there. It seemed to be over the fact that the girl wanted the cats in the house and they guy was refusing to let them in. Again, why bother getting cats if you are going to behave like this?!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well it sounds like he got his way

It's getting chilly at night now so are you not able to put them in a spare room?

I'm looking at my kitten Jack who's 4 months old now and he's still small, so theres no way i could let a kitten of their age be outside like that, their babies and they need warmth

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gosh when Gizmo was that age I didn't even like leaving him in the HOUSE by himself. People can be so stupid and irresponsible.

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have an open plan downstairs which is Harry's territory and I only have one spare bedroom which is a guest room. There is no way my SO would let me keep 2 cats in there!! The real issue is, if I did take them in, I could get in a lot of trouble with my neighbours and I really don't want a fight. I want the kitties safe first and foremost but taking them into my house would be crossing the line until I at least talk to them about how they care for their cats. If they aren't willing to look after them properly then I would at least look after them temporarily until good homes are found.

lioness

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is sad for the kittens!

I am glad u are at least feeding them and providing somewhere for them to go at night (ur shed). I hope all goes well when u have a "chat" with your neighbors.

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just went out again and they were sitting right outside the door. I put dry food, water and bedding in the shed. It is mild tonight here thank God but I am sooooooo going to have words with these people.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People like that should not have pets!
It makes me furious when I read stories like this...

Thankfully, they have a neighbor like you who cares, and the poor babies will not go hungry. Unfortunately, they probably know you ARE a warm & caring person, and will most likely take advantage of your good nature. People like that usually do..

If they won't listen to "reason" when you talk to them, and if you can't keep them yourself, maybe you can find a good home for them. Is there a no-kill animal shelter in your area to take them to if no one else will take them??
Your neighbors obviously don't deserve to have them!

Good luck!

KittKatt

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take the kittens inside and let the neighbours think that they ran off. I wouldn't give them back. I would then look to rehome them to someone who actually wants cats and will keep them inside and look after them like they are supposed to be.

Failing that I would still take them in and not tell the neighbour, and then take them to a no kill cat shelter and tell them you found them roaming around on a highway (make one up at is way across town from where your neighour lives).

I'm not above animal knapping if it's in the best interest of the animal, and I've done it with cats and dogs and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I don't consider it "stealing'. I consider it rescuing something that has no voice for itself to speak up or defend itself against ignorant "owners".

Originally Posted by Catnip

I don't even know if this is the right section to put this into but I'm so annoyed..........

My next door neighbours (who have never been very friendly) recently got two kittens. They are about 12 weeks old judging by the size of them.We let Harry out the back when we're around and he never wanders far and since the kittens came he goes into their back yard and vice-versa. They play with each other.

This morning I got up early. Both kittens came into my yard and cried a lot. They kept trying to get into my house. I noticed my neighbours' car was gone. I eventually gave in and gave them some leftovers that Harry wouldn't eat. They have stayed in my yard all day and still no sign of the neighbours. Someone did call round to feed them at one stage but just once the whole day. I fed them again about 2 hours ago because they sat at the patio door crying constantly and I felt sorry for them. I was against feeding them as I don't want to encourage them but they were so pitiful. They devoured the food.

I cannot believe that these neighbours have obviously gone away for the weekend and left 2 kitties so young outside for so long. I'm really angry and I would take them inside except a) Harry would get annoyed and b) they are not my cats. But clearly these are people who have got cats without thinking about the responsibility. I am going to speak to them when they eventually return and just suggest that if they want to go away again, maybe they would ask me to feed their cats as I am only next door. Anything than witness what I witnessed this weekend.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think someone needs to seriously talk to the owners to make sure that they honestly want to keep them. If not, then would you be able to find homes for them?

kerry'n'ben

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
people can be so stupid and irresponsible
a kitten or cat is a life long commitment NOT a passing fancy!
I would never even contemplate doing that
how do they expect these little fur babes to survive?

mrs.harris

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Those poor little babies!
Thank goodness for people like you that are willing to help out animals! Have you taken a look to see if maybe they did leave food out for the kittens? Since they are outside maybe ants got in it or something?? I went away for the weekend and left Layla ( inside only) a big ole' bowl of food, and a bunch of water and even some treats, and when I got back she was fine, she still had plenty of food and water. I really hope this was just ignorance on their part and not just plain evilness.

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mrs.Harris

Those poor little babies!
Thank goodness for people like you that are willing to help out animals! Have you taken a look to see if maybe they did leave food out for the kittens? Since they are outside maybe ants got in it or something?? I went away for the weekend and left Layla ( inside only) a big ole' bowl of food, and a bunch of water and even some treats, and when I got back she was fine, she still had plenty of food and water. I really hope this was just ignorance on their part and not just plain evilness.
There is food out for them but wet food only lasts so long. One of them vomited this morning and I noticed him coughing yesterday. I had a feel of his stomach and it feels normal but a trip to the vet is needed. I do think it's ignorance as so many people in this country have the attitude 'it's only a cat; they can look after themselves'.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If their still not around and this kittens coughing and vomiting is there no way you could take it to see the vet?.

I couldn't care less what trouble i could get in, if this animal is sick then surely they can understand that your only looking out for it's welfare?!

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

If their still not around and this kittens coughing and vomiting is there no way you could take it to see the vet?.

I couldn't care less what trouble i could get in, if this animal is sick then surely they can understand that your only looking out for it's welfare?!
I finally saw a car there. I called round and the guy said he arrived back late last night and was looking for the cats. He is aware that one of them is sick and has made an appointment with the vet for tomorrow. I got him to take the cats into the house and to make sure they have proper shelter. He was very nice about it and a bit embarrassed I think; if I see anything else untoward there will be no second chances! Straight onto the ISPCA.

missourigrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, poor kitties. Jack is about 3 months old and there's no way he'd be left outside like that (he's indoor only anyway). Thank goodness for someone like you who has a big heart and willing to feed the poor babies. Some people just shouldn't have animals, and I never understand why those people have them. I think it's a good idea that you are going to talk to them and let them know that you will feed them when they are gone.