Female cat with crystals...

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I just found out today that my 14 yr. old cat showed crystals in her urine, I just took her for her annual visit yesterday. The vet told me to feed Misty a lower magnesium diet and mentioned Science Diet Hairball Senior. I am now feeding her Purina One Senior but the vet said the magnesium was not listed on it so didn't know how much was in there. The canned food I'm feeding her now is ok but it is the dry the vet is interested in. Do you know of any other dry foods I could try that is low in magnesium in case Misty doesn't like the SD. Thanks.

jencat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Purina ProPlan makes a urinary health formula. Not sure what the magnesium value is but they probably list it on their website.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jencat

Purina ProPlan makes a urinary health formula. Not sure what the magnesium value is but they probably list it on their website.
Thank you, I will check. I have been looking but I will also call Purina after the weekend and ask also.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which kind of crystals? Struvite crystals are caused by a urine pH that's too high and oxylate crystals are caused by a urine pH that's too low. Recent studies have led researchers to believe that the amount of magnesium in the diet is not a significant factor in the formation of struvite crystals. The cat needs to be on a diet that lowers the urine pH. There are prescription diets that do that. I doubt a senior diet would be a good diet for struvite crystals as those diets are usually higher in carbohydrates, and it's carbohydrates that cause the urine pH to be too high.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

Which kind of crystals? Struvite crystals are caused by a urine pH that's too high and oxylate crystals are caused by a urine pH that's too low. Recent studies have led researchers to believe that the amount of magnesium in the diet is not a significant factor in the formation of struvite crystals. The cat needs to be on a diet that lowers the urine pH. There are prescription diets that do that. I doubt a senior diet would be a good diet for struvite crystals as those diets are usually higher in carbohydrates, and it's carbohydrates that cause the urine pH to be too high.
Actually MANY senior diets are good for struvite... WHY?? cause the calcium , phos and mag are all NORMALLY lower in a senior since older cats don t need as much as younger one..

Nutro Max adult is UTI friendly as is the senior only the senior doesnt state it

I would SUGGEST wet food .... and no dry

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The prescription foods are the only ones that have been clinically proven to remediate both types of crystals. This vet is recommending a food that hasn't been shown to do that. I don't doubt all that about senior foods is true. But I question a therapy that hasn't been proven to be effective. And recent studies have shown that mineral content of the food is of less importance than the food's ability to reduce urine pH. That's according to my vet, who I've found to be reasonably up to date on veterinary protocols. IMO the vet should have prescribed one of the wet prescription foods, not a "hairball senior" food.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

The prescription foods are the only ones that have been clinically proven to remediate both types of crystals. This vet is recommending a food that hasn't been shown to do that. I don't doubt all that about senior foods is true. But I question a therapy that hasn't been proven to be effective. And recent studies have shown that mineral content of the food is of less importance than the food's ability to reduce urine pH. That's according to my vet, who I've found to be reasonably up to date on veterinary protocols. IMO the vet should have prescribed one of the wet prescription foods, not a "hairball senior" food.
Very true... I have vets here saying ... OH any premium will work.. this is for issues from UTI ( which in cases could be) to liver or kidney conditions...

Yes and only 2 RX s have been validated to "fix" both crystals