Wonderful News

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wonderful news! I am getting monies for my 20 feral kitties spaying from a wonderful group. Basically they will re-imburse me for the monies spent on my other 3 ferals - which ONLY for spay/neuter cost me 318 dollars. That's at market rate....

So, with 318 dollars I can get 6 cats done at cut rate deals. I have to trap and travel further, which makes this MUCH MUCH harder (45min ride in the truck...) and catch in batches (also very hard to do, LOL.) BUT... I can
get it done.

I have 4 certificates ready already - and one LOVELY surprise. I trapped one cat in a plastic carrier - she got in it, so I closed the door on her. Apparantly the top catch didnt latch totally. Anyway in her distress and panic she
spent 3 hours in the basement 7-10 pm, clawing at it. And she ESCAPED!

Into my basement. I was stunned and upset. I had her ready to go get spayed.... but now the good news - she has TAMED! In 3 days!!

I am now able to pet her, hold her and she purrs for me.
She likes to hide under the sofa, but has stayed out while I moved around the room... she likes my BF and has come out and let him look at her.

His comment was that she was friendlier than some TAME cats he knew!! I have hopes she'll come round to being a house cat and friendly with people in the house....

Unfortunately since she cannot be spayed as a feral / low cost till Friday 21st at my local vets she will be VERY tame by then if things keep going THIS way, I am going to keep. So I am back to 4 cats.
I estimate she's 4 months to 6 months just shy of her first heat. She's a rare and beautiful SILVER smoke tabby, with a spotted coat and belly.

I suspect her Mama is the same kitty as birthed my lovely Grey Goose - the male kitten I rescued in Jan/Feb from the feral colony. (Because he too was a friendly cat, I thought worth taking him...and he's been a love. A smoke cat that looks Siamese... totally the most beautiful boy...)

So the good news is one less cat to breed at the colony. 1 down, 19 to go! Traps and trapping assistance are being lined up as fast as I can manage. It rained this Friday and I worked this weekend, so it wasn't a good trapping weekend. I will be trying for next weekend instead...

Please send me vibes, and if you live near me and have trapping experience, PM and let me know if you are willing to help set up traps and bait on a weekend day. I will sit and babysit, but I would LOVE experienced help to get me started with mass trapping...

Also, I have 4 converted bee boxes to be made into shelters - they will shelter upto 4 mid sized cats comfortably. They will be put togheter, filled with straw/hay and put on little platforms to keep off the ground. My ferals
will have "options" for shelter this winter!

So happy this is coming together. Please send me good trapping vibes, and prayers to get this colony successfully under control!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what an undertaking! thank you so much for caring about these cats!! your Grey Goose sounds gorgeous- would love to see a pic of him!

Tons of trapping vibes coming your way, and that is so great you're getting help

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bless for your efforts to help these cats. You're doing an awesome job!
Your new addition sounds absolutely gorgeous!

Sending lots of trapping vibes your way!

houseofcats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That IS wonderful news! Thanks for caring for these babies! Would love to see a picture of her.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by opilot

Wonderful news! I am getting monies for my 20 feral kitties spaying from a wonderful group. Basically they will re-imburse me for the monies spent on my other 3 ferals - which ONLY for spay/neuter cost me 318 dollars. That's at market rate....

So, with 318 dollars I can get 6 cats done at cut rate deals. I have to trap and travel further, which makes this MUCH MUCH harder (45min ride in the truck...) and catch in batches (also very hard to do, LOL.) BUT... I can
get it done.

I have 4 certificates ready already - and one LOVELY surprise. I trapped one cat in a plastic carrier - she got in it, so I closed the door on her. Apparantly the top catch didnt latch totally. Anyway in her distress and panic she
spent 3 hours in the basement 7-10 pm, clawing at it. And she ESCAPED!

Into my basement. I was stunned and upset. I had her ready to go get spayed.... but now the good news - she has TAMED! In 3 days!!

I am now able to pet her, hold her and she purrs for me.
She likes to hide under the sofa, but has stayed out while I moved around the room... she likes my BF and has come out and let him look at her.

His comment was that she was friendlier than some TAME cats he knew!! I have hopes she'll come round to being a house cat and friendly with people in the house....

Unfortunately since she cannot be spayed as a feral / low cost till Friday 21st at my local vets she will be VERY tame by then if things keep going THIS way, I am going to keep. So I am back to 4 cats.
I estimate she's 4 months to 6 months just shy of her first heat. She's a rare and beautiful SILVER smoke tabby, with a spotted coat and belly.

I suspect her Mama is the same kitty as birthed my lovely Grey Goose - the male kitten I rescued in Jan/Feb from the feral colony. (Because he too was a friendly cat, I thought worth taking him...and he's been a love. A smoke cat that looks Siamese... totally the most beautiful boy...)

So the good news is one less cat to breed at the colony. 1 down, 19 to go! Traps and trapping assistance are being lined up as fast as I can manage. It rained this Friday and I worked this weekend, so it wasn't a good trapping weekend. I will be trying for next weekend instead...

Please send me vibes, and if you live near me and have trapping experience, PM and let me know if you are willing to help set up traps and bait on a weekend day. I will sit and babysit, but I would LOVE experienced help to get me started with mass trapping...

Also, I have 4 converted bee boxes to be made into shelters - they will shelter upto 4 mid sized cats comfortably. They will be put togheter, filled with straw/hay and put on little platforms to keep off the ground. My ferals
will have "options" for shelter this winter!

So happy this is coming together. Please send me good trapping vibes, and prayers to get this colony successfully under control!
Opilot....my recommendation is to contact Alley Cat Allies..they can connect you to some experienced trappers from the Feral Friends Network.

http://www.mcatdc.org/virginia.html

Katie

dauntingfire

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What wonderful news! <3
I am so glad to hear everything is going well with your trap-release program.
I am helping my father-in-law with one now (we're just getting started) and it is such a huge undertaking.

Thank you so much for your efforts!

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with your efforts to trap all these cats and kittens! What a wonderful thing you are doing. I do wish that I still lived in the DC area, but since I don't, I am going to send you lots and prayers and vibes... Please keep us posted on how things are going! You have certainly come to the right place for help, support and advice!

calicoblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm new here at TCS and am in the process of learning how to better care for and gain the trust of a feral/stray Tomcat that is hanging around...I was very moved by your story and success and wanted to let you know how much hope and inspiration you have given me!

Blessings to you and your efforts!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
calico blue - good luck. YOu are surely doing god's work.
preventing so much suffering is not a bad thing IMHO. And making the cats healthier too..

If you need help or support - I can try and give it from over here, LOL.
Not much I know, but its always that way. Those of us w/ the giant
hearts are always the ones least likely to be able to afford our generousity - but what can you do? You can't step away from all that suffering or close your eyes to do...

One small step at a time, education, commitment and building organizations to help people do the right thing, TNR and be responsible about finding
homes for pets, not dumping them GRRRRR.

Hugs and keep me posted on your progress...