Ebay Rant!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I am so angry! On Ebay, I had 100% positive feedback; I pride myself on paying promptly, being courteous and fair with feedback. Well, I bought 2 pashmina scarves a few weeks ago; the seller specified "combined shipping for similar items." Well, when I went to check out on PayPal, it said, "No combined shipping on this item." I emailed the seller, questioning this; didn't get a reply by the next day, so went ahead and paid; ironically, to avoid bad feedback. The scarves arrived, wrapped in used plastic shopping bags folded over and taped (I had paid more for shipping than the items!). Everything was ok otherwise, but I did leave him 2 neutrals, mentioning the shipping and wrapping conerns. I think I was polite! When I get on eBay today, the jerk has left me 2 negatives!

If someone could take the time to look at the feedback I left, I'd appreciate it. I thought I was being polite, but yet honest, and don't know why I deserve the feedback. I had 499 positives, no neutrals, nor negatives up to this point, and it's really upsetting me. Actually, I was going to give him 2 negatives, but thought that was harsh--the scarves were as advertised, after all.

My ID is zouaves; the seller who left feeback for me is the last 2 at the top of my feedback (sportcentre....).

Thanks!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH says you should reply to his feedbacks and defend yourself!

We were just checking it - seems this jerk (polite) gives a NEGATIVE to anyone who gives him a neutral or negative. Look at the amount of neutrals/negatives that he has over the last 12 months.

This is one person I would never deal with. He's not justified in giving a negative on neutrals IMO.

DH says "he's a power seller that's a jack....a....s"

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never tried it before, but have you thought about trying the eBay dispute console? You might be able to get them removed because of the combined shipping issue.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

DH says you should reply to his feedbacks and defend yourself!
This is a good idea, I had a similar thing happen to me as well. Just because I gave a neutral feedback. It won't take away the negative but at least it gives your side of the situation.

My reply was, I paid promptly and followed your instructions. What's negative about that.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just looked at your neutral feedback and his negative feedback. He can't even spell correctly. I checked his site and it does say combined shipping for multiple domestic purchases. You should go to his site and get a screen shot of that (in case he tries to take it down) and then contact eBay with a dispute. I've seen other people who have something in their comments that say "Both parties have agreed to have this feedback struck from the record" or some such thing.....so it is possible to get it removed. And, he is not honoring his combined shipping policy, which is stated on his site, so I would think he's in the wrong.

Dispute Resolution Overview
http://pages.ebay.com/services/buyan...STRK:MESRL:016

Feedback Abuse, Withdrawal and Removal (read all the drop downs)
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...ithdrawal.html

Feedback Forum: Mutual Feedback Withdrawal
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MFWRequest

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just pulled up your scarf - it clearly says under Shipping:

"All orders packaged nicely and shipped off within 48 hrs.
Combined shipping is available for multiple purchases for domestic and international bidders as well.
Take $1 off shipping cost for each"

So he's lying then - cause he states on your scarf that you can have combined shipping. How can he change it?

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This guy obviously doesn't know the meaning of neutral. Yeesh, it's not bad, it's not great but it doesn't hurt your score, right? I'd talk to eBay about this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thanks, everyone! I appreciate your replies. I wanted someone else to double-check my comments. I thought perhaps I had been rude unintentionally to the seller.

I also came to all of same conclusions you did--he seems to leave retaliatory feedback. Now, he wants to have the feedback mutally withdrawn (after I sent him an email saying how annoyed I was, and also spelling out what happened).

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate your replies. I wanted someone else to double-check my comments. I thought perhaps I had been rude unintentionally to the seller.

I also came to all of same conclusions you did--he seems to leave retaliatory feedback. Now, he wants to have the feedback mutally withdrawn (after I sent him an email saying how annoyed I was, and also spelling out what happened).
Only if he refunds you the double shipping charge.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holy Mister!!! Go to his feedback page and click on "Feedback Left For Others". He leaves a lot of negatives!!! He's also had like 57 mutually withdrawn feedbacks. I'm SO sorry that you're having to deal with this low life. I'd love a Pashmina, but I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole!

Contact eBay....I'm pretty sure they will side with you once you explain the deliberately misleading shipping statement on his site.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh...that's why I check the feedbacks before ordering the items, personally. since selling on eBay has become so easy, anyone can do it.

Definitely dispute the feedback!

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Ugh...that's why I check the feedbacks before ordering the items, personally. since selling on eBay has become so easy, anyone can do it.
Same here. I wouldn't buy something from someone like that.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by StacyD1987

Same here. I wouldn't buy something from someone like that.
Me, too, usually. However, I used to never buy from anyone who had even 1 negative or even a neutral; but, after reading between the lines on a lot of feedback over the years, I've relaxed my policy a bit. You sometimes see where the seller tried to do everything well in a transaction, but the buyer was a flake, and left dishonest bad feedback. My DH had this happen to him twice when selling recently; one buyer claimed DH never sent the package; oh yes he did, because I helped him send it at the post office! He got slammed with a negative, even though DH had proof of it being sent; the guy didn't want to hear that (and later, admitted it arrived the day after the feedback was left). This jerk kept filling up DH's inbox with threatening emails for about 3 days (after I think about 3-4 days, he started emailing--as DH told him, "You didn't pay for Priority, and give it a chance to get there.").

The seller I'm complaining about didn't have disproportionately negative feedback at the time; and, before I had my problem with him, the feedback he left seemed like it could be genuine. Now, I see that, when someone has a genuine complaint, he retaliates by slamming them. I love it when all he can say is, "Poor communication." (and HE'S guilty of that in my case). When someone says, "Bought scarf 6/5; it's 8/5; still haven't got.", you can bet they communicated often with this seller! I know I'd be emailing, wanting to know where my scarf is!

I do plan on stating my case with eBay, telling them how he misrepresents the combined shipping; doesn't seem to understand how to leave feedback, leaves retalitatory feedback, etc. I know some of you may think arguing over saving a dollar per item for shipping sounds petty, but it's the principle: if you advertise combined shipping, you should give it; also, the main thing that annoyed me with this is that beacuse of the discrepancy while trying to pay him, I had to email him to get it clarified. It's a pain when this happens (I find it sometimes happens with PayPal with honest sellers; sometimes PayPal won't let you recalculate your total). You have to delay payment until the seller responds, then you risk getting bad feedback for delaying the payment, or at the very least, keep playing email tag with the seller.

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The same kind of thing happened to me.

Last year I ordered a DVD for my mom. It was a Buy Me Now item. I bought and paid right then.

I got an email from them about week later saying my DVD had been shipped and they supplied a tracking number. I checked the tracking number and it said that shipper had electronically bought the postage on that date. I checked every couple days and it always said the same thing.

I sent them an email asking if my item had actually been shipped. I told them the tracking number was legit but it does not seem to have actually been shipped.

A week later they sent back a generic email stating that some items can take upto 21 days to ship. It did state that in their action highlights but since I had a tracking number why was the item no shipped. I mean you would not buy the postage and let it sit around. I could see this in some cases like if you only went to the post office once a week but it had been over two weeks.

I continued to check the tracking number every couple days. The tracking number never stated anything different but I did get my DVD about two weeks later.

I left them negative email because I felt they were misleading and it took over a month which was way past their 21 day shipping statements.

They left me a negative and called me a liar and that is was shipped in a couple days.

They then contacted ebay and tried to get me to drop the negative. I not only did not drop the negative but responded to my negative that the item was not shipped when they said it was and to stop trying to contact me to get me to drop the negative.

This person was a power seller and after digging deeper into their negative feedbacks I saw they left negative for any buyer that left them negative and all negatives left for them were all about delayed shipping issues.

I took the negative hit because I felt my message needed to be out there. If is saves one person from not buying from them then it was worth it.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The sad thing is negatives on a person with only a few points - I really feel sorry for the one that only has 2 - one positive, one negative - the negative from that jerk!

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AsecretK

I took the negative hit because I felt my message needed to be out there. If is saves one person from not buying from them then it was worth it.
Sounds like a negative war...

I say, you should always contact the seller before paying anything. You should see how quick he is with responding to people and if it takes him years to reply it means you should forget about it.

I bought this way comics books, got them within less than 1 week, in a great condition and I can only say it was worth contacting the seller before I made any decision whatsoever.

FYI

rone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

I do plan on stating my case with eBay, telling them how he misrepresents the combined shipping; doesn't seem to understand how to leave feedback, leaves retalitatory feedback, etc.
I don't think he misrepresents the combined shipping. Paypal is not smart enough to re-calculate shipping. When buying multiple items in order to take advance of combined shipping, what I do is manually change the total when paying in Paypal & then immediately send an email to the seller detailing what was paid (with item #), how much, & S/H (include why short paid).

There are sellers in eBay who played dumb- we were newbies on eBay & a couple of times paid full S/H even the seller states combined shipping. The sellers never offer to refund the add'l S/H until we email again 'suggesting' they owe us $$.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rone

I don't think he misrepresents the combined shipping. Paypal is not smart enough to re-calculate shipping. When buying multiple items in order to take advance of combined shipping, what I do is manually change the total when paying in Paypal & then immediately send an email to the seller detailing what was paid (with item #), how much, & S/H (include why short paid).

There are sellers in eBay who played dumb- we were newbies on eBay & a couple of times paid full S/H even the seller states combined shipping. The sellers never offer to refund the add'l S/H until we email again 'suggesting' they owe us $$.
I tried that. It said, "Cannot combine shipping on this item." It didn't work, hence my emails to the seller about the combined shipping. He DOES say he combines shipping on "similar items". He should state up front in his auctions what the stipulations about combined shipping are. To me, he misrepresented the shipping.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by AsecretK

The same kind of thing happened to me.

Last year I ordered a DVD for my mom. It was a Buy Me Now item. I bought and paid right then.

I got an email from them about week later saying my DVD had been shipped and they supplied a tracking number. I checked the tracking number and it said that shipper had electronically bought the postage on that date. I checked every couple days and it always said the same thing.

I sent them an email asking if my item had actually been shipped. I told them the tracking number was legit but it does not seem to have actually been shipped.

A week later they sent back a generic email stating that some items can take upto 21 days to ship. It did state that in their action highlights but since I had a tracking number why was the item no shipped. I mean you would not buy the postage and let it sit around. I could see this in some cases like if you only went to the post office once a week but it had been over two weeks.

I continued to check the tracking number every couple days. The tracking number never stated anything different but I did get my DVD about two weeks later.

I left them negative email because I felt they were misleading and it took over a month which was way past their 21 day shipping statements.

They left me a negative and called me a liar and that is was shipped in a couple days.

They then contacted ebay and tried to get me to drop the negative. I not only did not drop the negative but responded to my negative that the item was not shipped when they said it was and to stop trying to contact me to get me to drop the negative.

This person was a power seller and after digging deeper into their negative feedbacks I saw they left negative for any buyer that left them negative and all negatives left for them were all about delayed shipping issues.

I was thinking the same thing about the feedback withdrawal. But, I just can't stand seeing that 99.6% positive near my name! It really does irk me--I've been using eBay constantly since 3/99, and am so used to having great feedback.