New Cat, and litter box problem...

rain(bow)

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently adopted a new, adult cat, and while she is litter trained she makes a total mess when she covers up her waste after using the box. How can I stop this? She has thrown ALOT of litter out of the box, and because I live in small quarters it really is not a good thing, as I cannot put the litter box in a basement or such place.
I took the time to buy a better quality box, one that is deep with no cover and I just would love to get a hold of this problem before it gets out of hand.

THANKS

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You should be proud of your little girl for being so clean and tidy at making sure she covers up everything

The only thing i can suggest is getting a hooded litterbox because they do help when it comes to letter getting thrown about

mikex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rain(bow)

I recently adopted a new, adult cat, and while she is litter trained she makes a total mess when she covers up her waste after using the box. How can I stop this? She has thrown ALOT of litter out of the box, and because I live in small quarters it really is not a good thing, as I cannot put the litter box in a basement or such place.
I took the time to buy a better quality box, one that is deep with no cover and I just would love to get a hold of this problem before it gets out of hand.

THANKS
Welcome to my world...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rain(bow)

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am glad she uses the box, you are very right. I guess this is something that I am just going to have to dela with, huh?

Also, I adopted this kitty, who was abandoned they think, and when I first got her she went right into hiding, but did come around quickly; less than a day later. I have only had her a few days, and when I saw her throwing the litter all over I said, "No" and she freked out and ran away under my ned again.
Do you all think that she will come around again, as nothing happened, but maybe cause I told her "NO" she thinks I would harm her. I don't want her to regress again.

THANKS AGAIN

mikex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rain(bow)

I am glad she uses the box, you are very right. I guess this is something that I am just going to have to dela with, huh?

Also, I adopted this kitty, who was abandoned they think, and when I first got her she went right into hiding, but did come around quickly; less than a day later. I have only had her a few days, and when I saw her throwing the litter all over I said, "No" and she freked out and ran away under my ned again.
Do you all think that she will come around again, as nothing happened, but maybe cause I told her "NO" she thinks I would harm her. I don't want her to regress again.

THANKS AGAIN
Yea, she will come around but she was doing the right thing, so you shouldn't scold her, she won't understand.

A covered box will help, but I don't like them because they will contain all the odors and be smelly for the cat, and are more trouble to clean daily. Good luck!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mikex

A covered box will help, but I don't like them because they will contain all the odors and be smelly for the cat, and are more trouble to clean daily. Good luck!
If the box is scouped twice a day like mine is there shouldn't be a problem with it smelling, i don't have that problem anyway?, plus i use a deodorising powder as well.

rain(bow)

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Definately! I scoop twice a day, too. There should be no smelly issues, but just do not want her to stop using the box, now that she seems upset when I said "NO" to her throwing the litter around. GEEZE! I worry too much. LOL.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you don't want to use a covered litter box, how about a rubber-maid box. They are really inexpensive.

Something like this. I have a few cats that like to dig to the middle of the earth and with the sides being so high they can dig all they want now.

I don't use the lids anymore.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Elliott is my "Litter Flinger".
When we first brought him indoors, he'd dig and dig and dig throwing almost all of the litter out of the box before he'd use it.

I bought him a covered box and that sort of solved the problem, he couldn't fling it out the sides any more, but he was still flinging it out the front of the box

I decided that the girls needed new litter boxes so when I replaced them I bought Sterlite ( sort of a generic Rubbermaid ) totes instead of standard litter boxes.
The girls loved them, and so did Elliott.
Him and Annabelle now use the same box (nobody is allowed to use Gracie's
) and since the sides are higher the flingly still goes on, but it stays in the box.

rain(bow)

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
THANK YOU Rosiemac, Snoscrap5, Mike and Gracie.
I went out today and bought the coverend box, so we shalls ee how it works. I am going to go broke buying boxes soon.
I wish I had seen the rubbermaid post before running out and setting up my new box.
Looks great.

My little girl is now back to hiding and scared though, because I sais "NO' to her. I guess she will come around.

rain(bow)

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My little Mandi LOVES her new lidded box, and I do too. It is SO clean, and there has been NO mess AT ALL! I thank all of you so much for your advise.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, try playing with her and spending some time getting her to associate positive things with interacting with you. Play with her in the same room but not next to the litter box, so she associates positive things with the area as well. If there's not enough room, then get her favorite treats, and after she uses the litter box, praise her and tell her good girl.

You may also want to put a second litter box somewhere else, as she may have a negative association with the current one, and that may lead to her not using it.

If you invest in a storage container, rubbermaid is good, or what I found is Sterilite .. which has smoother sides on the box. I got a really big one, with really tall sides, and we don't have the problem with our little diggers throwing the litter out of the box (and at least one of ours digs for the other side of the world).

Is she avoiding you, or just the litter box?

catsread

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a good idea. I have 3 cats, 3 litter boxes, and all the cats like to build a hill before they go and then start throwing litter on top of that when they are finished. Needless to say, a ton of litter goes over the sides. My solution was to just keep a broom and dustpan beside each box, and sweep it up several times a day. I actually have some of those high sided totes in the basement and will definitely be giving them a try.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other posters are right -- she IS doing the right thing and you should be proud of her. Personally, I scoop more than twice daily -- quite a bit more, in fact, to try to keep the boxes clean (how would you feel if you could only flush the toilet you use twice a day? Think of how a cat feels!) and to contain tracking, I have those little dustpans with brushes that one can buy at 99c stores or "pet" supply stores, in every room where there's a box (9 cats here!). It's easy to clean up! I also have a product called "catpaper" which you can order through Plain Brown Tabby Toys & Treats (see their ad on this website -- they are an excellent source of toys, treats, and other good things for cats!) http://www.catniptoys.com , which I put under the boxes and change when necessary, plus a little rubber paw-shaped litter mat (buy at "pet" supply stores) in front of one box to help contain tracking. And I have several covered boxes but do not notice any smell issue; they have charcoal filter pads in the tops, and by cleaning them frequently, we don't have a problem. I have those, some very tall boxes, and some shallower ones for the older cats. You can buy nice plastic storage chests from large department stores, cut a door in the front, and use these with or without their lids for extra-large litterboxes. A lot of TCS members seem to use them and like them!