Wii or Xbox 360?

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Forgetting about cost and availability...

Which would you get and why?

I can read reviews until my eyeballs fall out, but I'd rather hear from people I actually know. My husband is going to get one or the other (I'm actually surprised I've held him off this long). He's an avid PC gamer, which is why (I think) the Xbox didn't get used a whole lot - most of the games he would be interested in were released for PC and the graphics and gameplay are better in his estimation.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Wii is a lot of fun, the bowling games and tennis etc. are surprisingly realistic and there is something magical about using the Wii controller. Anyway really look at the games that are out and pick the one with the more games you want to play.

A fantastic console isn't worth much if it doesn't have the games you want to play.

However if you are dedicated PC gamers the Wii might be more variety since it has functionality you can't get through a computer.

alcool9999

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would say if you husband likes action games then the xbox 360 has loads but if he wants interactive then wii is your thing.

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've played the Wii and thought it was loads of fun especially if there are a few of you. I haven't played the X-Box but that's my 2 cents worth

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on what you want. The Wii is a lot of fun for everyone. You can get tennis, bowling, boxing, and golf right out of the box. Also, if you connect it to the internet you can download classic games. Another point is that even if you don't play video games this is a fun system. My 67 year old father picked up a Wii-mote and had a blast.

Now, the X-Box 360 is fun if your husband likes games like Halo (a first person shooter), Gears of War (adventure), and Bio-Shock (making a very good go at game of the year). You can also go online with it but you have to pay for it. I'm not too sure what you can and can't down load with this system.

EDIT: If you get a Wii let me know. I can send my Mii over and play on your system.

EDIT 2: If he's a PC gammer then you'll want Wii. Most of the games for X-Box 360 come out on PC anyway, and they have better game play and graphics. The Wii will be a fun system for everyone in your house. Trust me.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I chose a Wii because I like nintendo's games better than xbox/ps3. I also liked the wiimote idea. The wii is a LOT of fun, but then again I don't like those first person shooter games.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i keep hearing the Wii is a lot of fun, hmm i have one,but never taken it out ofthe box yet
lol .

as for xbox, i would not buy one, i already deal with microsoft stuff to much at work .

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I wouldn't buy ANY because we already have BOTH

Xbox 360 we waited in line overnight for 16 hours(NEVER again-I am SUCH a good girlfriend
)I think it is more of a man's game and only 2 people can play.

The Wii is INCREDIBLE! We have friends over and have party nights
I know we are such dorks! I think that if you want more interactive than definately pick this up

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have the xbox 360 and the boys enjoy it but they end up going out and getting the same game on PC. They say the graphics are better, the controls are what they are use to. IMO I don't understand why they wanted the xbox if they were just going to go out and by the PC version game anyway.

I would have much rather had the Wii. I at least could have played it.
If your husband is really into PC games he may not like the Wii unless he is looking to try something new and different.

BTW Heather my boys LOVED Bioshock!!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

We have the xbox 360 and the boys enjoy it but they end up going out and getting the same game on PC. They say the graphics are better, the controls are what they are use to. IMO I don't understand why they wanted the xbox if they were just going to go out and by the PC version game anyway.

I would have much rather had the Wii. I at least could have played it.
If your husband is really into PC games he may not like the Wii unless he is looking to try something new and different.

BTW Heather my boys LOVED Bioshock!!
That is the one game that is making us think we should get a 360. I want to play it so bad my hands shake.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

That is the one game that is making us think we should get a 360. I want to play it so bad my hands shake.
Chris is 17 and just loved that game. Played as the good guy and then as the bad guy both endings were VERY different.

I don't think there was anything he didn't like about the game. I watched him play a couple of times and enjoyed the few puzzles he needed to do. I don't get into the shoot em up, I prefer puzzles and mysteries.

Otherwise it was a very fun game to watch and play. It really had an awesome story line and plot.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Wii and I love it. It's so fun and it will last a whole lot longer than Xbox 360. Out of the 3 new consoles (xbox 360, wii, PS3) they wii has the best ventilation system and will not overheat and die on you. The 360 on the other hand is known to overheat 2 or 3 times a year. When that happens you have to send it back to microsoft and you are without a console for a couple weeks. The only good thing is when you get it back from microsoft, they send a free controller with it. Other than that, the only thing that 360 beats wii at is power and graphics but the wii is still the coolest system (temperature wise) and it offers a completely revolutionary style of game play.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we have both, the WII is a great laugh, but the novelty wears off after a while.

the xbox 360 me and my DH love, yes you have to pay for it to be online, i pay £40 a year for it.
you can have msn on it, video chats, speakaphone chats, depending on the game you can have more then 2 players, one we had you could have up to 4 players, providing you have 4 controlers.

you can download all games most are free playeable demos, but for a small price like a few quid you can open the full game up.

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

I have a Wii and I love it. It's so fun and it will last a whole lot longer than Xbox 360. Out of the 3 new consoles (xbox 360, wii, PS3) they wii has the best ventilation system and will not overheat and die on you. The 360 on the other hand is known to overheat 2 or 3 times a year. When that happens you have to send it back to microsoft and you are without a console for a couple weeks. The only good thing is when you get it back from microsoft, they send a free controller with it. Other than that, the only thing that 360 beats wii at is power and graphics but the wii is still the coolest system (temperature wise) and it offers a completely revolutionary style of game play.
We have never, in 3 years of having it, has our Xbox 360 overheated

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have the 360 and was told about the overheating thing so I spent the extra 20 bucks for a fan. My DH is in love with the 360 and the Call of Duty line. Me, I'm a Halo nut and Bioshock rules!

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ChrissyR

We have the 360 and was told about the overheating thing so I spent the extra 20 bucks for a fan. My DH is in love with the 360 and the Call of Duty line. Me, I'm a Halo nut and Bioshock rules!
Maybe that's why I haven't heard about it....we bought the fan too! Silly me

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I haven't been able to play Xbox 360... but I did play wii and it was pretty good. I play the surgery game.. don't recall what the name of it is.

I did see the PS3 graphics and they're looking awesome.

I have very little experience with xbox 360.