TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Post your favorite pumpkin recipes!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Post your favorite pumpkin recipes!!!!

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
I know it's a little early, but i LOVE harvest time and i'm dying to make something with fresh pumpkin in it!!!!!! I don't have any recipes aside from my pumpkin fluff dip. I'd love to try out some yummy pumpkin soup recipes or other stuff!!!! Feel free to share any recipes!
post #2 of 18
I have this recipe posted on Recipezaar, I love it!

Crock Pot Pumpkin Pie Pudding Recipe #43842

4-6 servings

1 (15 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin (you can use fresh pumpkin)
1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup Bisquick
2 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons butter or margarine (melted)
2 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
2 teaspoons vanilla
whipped topping (optional)

1. In a large bowl mix together the first eight ingredients.
2. Transfer to crock pot coated with Pam.
3. Cover and cook on low 6-7 hours.
4. Serve in bowls with whip cream, if desired.
post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger1206 View Post
I have this recipe posted on Recipezaar, I love it!

Crock Pot Pumpkin Pie Pudding Recipe #43842

4-6 servings

1 (15 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin (you can use fresh pumpkin)
1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup Bisquick
2 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons butter or margarine (melted)
2 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
2 teaspoons vanilla
whipped topping (optional)

1. In a large bowl mix together the first eight ingredients.
2. Transfer to crock pot coated with Pam.
3. Cover and cook on low 6-7 hours.
4. Serve in bowls with whip cream, if desired.

ohhh thankyou! that sounds really yummy!
post #4 of 18
Wish I could help, but pumpkin is not something that I'm very found of. I have had it in a soup once which wasn't bad. What I tend to not like is that it's so frequently paired with things like nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon. None of which are really high up on my list of likable spices.
post #5 of 18
Have you ever made pumpkin pie from scratch? I mean where you actually cook the pumpkin and remove the pulp for the filling? They are a lot of work but IMO much better than canned pumpkin. The last time we did that we also grew the pumpkins in our garden, so it was really from scratch!

This recipe is awesome.

Kahlua Marbled Pumpkin Cheesecake

¾ cup gingersnap crumbs
¾ cup graham cracker crumbs
¼ cup powdered sugar
¼ cup melted unsalted butter
2 8-oz pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 1-pound can pumpkin
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. ground ginger
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
½ cup Kahlua


Heat over to 350 degrees. In bowl, combine gingersnap and graham cracker crumbs with powdered sugar and butter. Toss to combine. Press evenly onto bottom of 8 inch springform pan. Bake 5 minutes. Cool.

In mixer bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Gradually add granulated sugar and beat until light. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Transfer 1 cup mixture to separate bowl and blend in pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and Kahlua. Pour half of pumpkin mixture into prepared crust. Top with half of cream cheese mixture. Repeat layers using remaining pumpkin and cream cheese mixtures. Using table knife, cut through layers with uplifting motion in four to five places
to create marbled effect. Place on baking sheet and
bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Without opening oven
door, let cake stand in turned-off oven 1 hour.
Remove from oven and cool, then chill.
Remove from pan.
post #6 of 18
I am so sorry...my best pumpkin recipe is for a pie, and not fresh pumpkin. I'm mentioning this anyway because after years of being "eh" about pumpkin pie, it is now one of my favorites...all thanks to a recipe by Paula Dean

Let me know if you want the recipe, and I'll pm it to you.
post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post
Wish I could help, but pumpkin is not something that I'm very found of. I have had it in a soup once which wasn't bad. What I tend to not like is that it's so frequently paired with things like nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon. None of which are really high up on my list of likable spices.
I bet you could pair pumpkin with other spices that you love and figure out some yummy recipes that way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofmany View Post
Have you ever made pumpkin pie from scratch? I mean where you actually cook the pumpkin and remove the pulp for the filling? They are a lot of work but IMO much better than canned pumpkin. The last time we did that we also grew the pumpkins in our garden, so it was really from scratch!

This recipe is awesome.

Kahlua Marbled Pumpkin Cheesecake

¾ cup gingersnap crumbs
¾ cup graham cracker crumbs
¼ cup powdered sugar
¼ cup melted unsalted butter
2 8-oz pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 1-pound can pumpkin
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. ground ginger
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
½ cup Kahlua


Heat over to 350 degrees. In bowl, combine gingersnap and graham cracker crumbs with powdered sugar and butter. Toss to combine. Press evenly onto bottom of 8 inch springform pan. Bake 5 minutes. Cool.

In mixer bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Gradually add granulated sugar and beat until light. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Transfer 1 cup mixture to separate bowl and blend in pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and Kahlua. Pour half of pumpkin mixture into prepared crust. Top with half of cream cheese mixture. Repeat layers using remaining pumpkin and cream cheese mixtures. Using table knife, cut through layers with uplifting motion in four to five places
to create marbled effect. Place on baking sheet and
bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Without opening oven
door, let cake stand in turned-off oven 1 hour.
Remove from oven and cool, then chill.
Remove from pan.
Nope! I've never made a pie from fresh pumpkin before- so i would LOVE to give it a try (as soon as i figure out the proper way to carve one while i'm at it from what i understand you carve the top off and then pull out the "innards" - clean off the pumpkin seeds and save them to roast (anyone know the proper way to do that???) and then you slice the pumpkin right? Do you peel the outside off and just use the "skin"? Does that make sense?) Thankyou for sharing that recipe- it sounds AMAZING!!! I am a cheesecake freak so i will definitely be trying this one!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix View Post
I am so sorry...my best pumpkin recipe is for a pie, and not fresh pumpkin. I'm mentioning this anyway because after years of being "eh" about pumpkin pie, it is now one of my favorites...all thanks to a recipe by Paula Dean

Let me know if you want the recipe, and I'll pm it to you.
I would love to try out that recipe! I am a huge Paula Dean fan!
post #8 of 18
I'm burning a Pumpkin Spice Yankee Candle...that's as close as I'll get.
post #9 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by clixpix View Post
I'm burning a Pumpkin Spice Yankee Candle...that's as close as I'll get.
awww darling it's ok- i'm not the best in the kitchen there is- but i just enjoy cooking/trying new stuff! Hehe i'll make you a deal- you share your candle and when i cook some of these yummy recipes i'll share some with you!

(by the way- i LOVE pumpkin spice candles! those and gingerbread ones are my absolute favorite i stock up during autumn/winter for the whole year)
post #10 of 18
What a coincidence this thread is! I'm currently baking this recipe:
http://www.recipezaar.com/14187

"Melt in your mouth pumpkin bread"

It smells amazing!!!! I'll have to post how it turns out. I love pumpkin!
post #11 of 18
I don't have any recipes, but if there's an Au Bon Pain near you; they hve the most amazing pumpkin soup! Mmm! I moved, so there aren't any around any more. I really miss that soup.

There's a family recipe I have for the best pumpkin pie EVER. It's on the Libby's canned pumpkin label (apparently since 1950). But it's "been in the family" since my great-grandmother. It really is the best, though! We usually use pumpkin spice instead of all the individual spices.

Tricia
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR View Post
awww darling it's ok- i'm not the best in the kitchen there is- but i just enjoy cooking/trying new stuff! Hehe i'll make you a deal- you share your candle and when i cook some of these yummy recipes i'll share some with you!

(by the way- i LOVE pumpkin spice candles! those and gingerbread ones are my absolute favorite i stock up during autumn/winter for the whole year)
Deal!
post #13 of 18
Here's a nice pumpkin Bundt cake I invented almost thirty years ago. It's not from scratch or anything, but it's quick and easy and egg-free, and I love it:

* 1 box Duncan Hines yellow cake mix
* 1 can Libby's pumpkin pie filling
* 3 large bricks of Philadelphia plain cream cheese
* Fresh oranges
* Sugar (or Splenda)
* Milk
* Confectioner's sugar
* Crisco
* Pecan halves (optional)

Let the cream cheese come to room temperature, then stir it in a bowl until smooth. Add about a tablespoon of sugar or Splenda and some fresh-squeezed orange juice, and stir again. If the consistency stays thick and creamcheesey, you can probably get by with adding a little more orange juice -- but don't let it get too thin. Taste it to be sure you're happy with the level of sweetness (I like it a little tangy, myself). Stir again until smooth, cover, and refrigerate.

In a large bowl, stir together the cake mix and the canned pie filling. When all the mix has been incorporated, you may need to add a little milk to achieve a thick cake-batter consistency. (Do not add any of the things the cake mix package calls for -- they are being replaced by the pumpkin pie filling and milk.)

Coat the Bundt pan with Crisco and if you like, place some pecan halves neatly in the bottom, upside down, so they'll be pretty on top of the cake when it comes out.

Gently pour about half of the cake batter into the pan (so as not to disturb the pecan placement). Smooth it with a spoon, making a little bit of a valley all the way around.

Carefully place the cream cheese mixture in the "valley" spoonful by spoonful, so it doesn't sink in too much. Don't let it touch the sides of the pan.

Pour in the rest of the cake batter, covering the cream cheese mixture completely.

Bake in a preheated oven at around 375F until it's done -- which will probably be a little sooner than the time indicated for Bundt cake on the package. When the edges crisp up and start to pull away from the sides, you're probably there.

Let it cool for five minutes or so, then place your cake plate upside down over it, hold the whole thing together with a towel, and turn it over quickly. If the pan doesn't lift off easily, place the whole thing back in the still-warm oven for thirty seconds or so. That will warm the pan again and make it easy to lift off.

Once the cake is cool, dust it with confectioner's sugar and serve. Refrigerate any leftovers (so the cream cheese inside will stay good).

This is really luscious, and perfect for fall. One year for a party, I left off the pecans and instead made a white sugar glaze to drip over the whole cake, and then I placed those little maple-sugar autumn-leaf-shaped candies all around the top! Oh my goodness...
post #14 of 18
I looooove pumpkin! I susbribe to the Reiman family of magazines, Light & Tasty, Simple & Delicious, etc etc, not that I cook or anything, but anyhoo, in this month's Light & Tasty there are a few good sounding pumpkin recipes, including this pumpkin cake that sounds A-MAZING! I don't have the link on my home computer, but its at work, so I'll post it on Monday
post #15 of 18
My mom makes really good pumpkin soup. I have the recipe somewhere... I'll find it when I get home and post it if anyone's interested.
post #16 of 18
I'm interested, Marie!

Tricia
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR View Post
from what i understand you carve the top off and then pull out the "innards" - clean off the pumpkin seeds and save them to roast (anyone know the proper way to do that???) and then you slice the pumpkin right? Do you peel the outside off and just use the "skin"? Does that make sense?)
Per Joy of Cooking (the recipe that I use):

To make the pumpkin for the pie filling: Cut the pumpkin shell in half crosswise. Remove seeds and strings. Place it in a pan, shell side up and bake it in a 325 degree oven for 1 hour or more, depending on the size, until it is tender and begins to fall apart. Scrape the pulp from the shell and put it in a ricer, strainer or blender.

Pumpkin seeds:

Separate the seeds from the strings and rinse thoroughly in a colander, then allow them to dry for a bit. Line a 9 or 10 inch pie pan with 2 paper towels. Place the seeds on top of the paper towels and sprinkle some oil over the top (about 1 tablespoon) then salt per your taste. Cover the seeds with 2 more paper towels.

Microwave for 2 minutes. Carefully peel back the paper towels from the top, stir the seeds thoroughly. Replace the paper towels on top and microwave for 2 more minutes. Repeat this process until the seeds are crisp to your liking. Depending on how many seeds you have, this takes anywhere from 6-10 minutes total microwave time. You can tell that they are getting close when more and more of them stick to the paper towels between stirs. I usually just scrape the seeds that are stuck to the paper off with the spoon. They store well in tupperware.
post #18 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie-p View Post
My mom makes really good pumpkin soup. I have the recipe somewhere... I'll find it when I get home and post it if anyone's interested.
I would love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia View Post
Here's a nice pumpkin Bundt cake I invented almost thirty years ago. It's not from scratch or anything, but it's quick and easy and egg-free, and I love it:

* 1 box Duncan Hines yellow cake mix
* 1 can Libby's pumpkin pie filling
* 3 large bricks of Philadelphia plain cream cheese
* Fresh oranges
* Sugar (or Splenda)
* Milk
* Confectioner's sugar
* Crisco
* Pecan halves (optional)

Let the cream cheese come to room temperature, then stir it in a bowl until smooth. Add about a tablespoon of sugar or Splenda and some fresh-squeezed orange juice, and stir again. If the consistency stays thick and creamcheesey, you can probably get by with adding a little more orange juice -- but don't let it get too thin. Taste it to be sure you're happy with the level of sweetness (I like it a little tangy, myself). Stir again until smooth, cover, and refrigerate.

In a large bowl, stir together the cake mix and the canned pie filling. When all the mix has been incorporated, you may need to add a little milk to achieve a thick cake-batter consistency. (Do not add any of the things the cake mix package calls for -- they are being replaced by the pumpkin pie filling and milk.)

Coat the Bundt pan with Crisco and if you like, place some pecan halves neatly in the bottom, upside down, so they'll be pretty on top of the cake when it comes out.

Gently pour about half of the cake batter into the pan (so as not to disturb the pecan placement). Smooth it with a spoon, making a little bit of a valley all the way around.

Carefully place the cream cheese mixture in the "valley" spoonful by spoonful, so it doesn't sink in too much. Don't let it touch the sides of the pan.

Pour in the rest of the cake batter, covering the cream cheese mixture completely.

Bake in a preheated oven at around 375F until it's done -- which will probably be a little sooner than the time indicated for Bundt cake on the package. When the edges crisp up and start to pull away from the sides, you're probably there.

Let it cool for five minutes or so, then place your cake plate upside down over it, hold the whole thing together with a towel, and turn it over quickly. If the pan doesn't lift off easily, place the whole thing back in the still-warm oven for thirty seconds or so. That will warm the pan again and make it easy to lift off.

Once the cake is cool, dust it with confectioner's sugar and serve. Refrigerate any leftovers (so the cream cheese inside will stay good).

This is really luscious, and perfect for fall. One year for a party, I left off the pecans and instead made a white sugar glaze to drip over the whole cake, and then I placed those little maple-sugar autumn-leaf-shaped candies all around the top! Oh my goodness...
ohhhh that sounds yummy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemae1277 View Post
I looooove pumpkin! I susbribe to the Reiman family of magazines, Light & Tasty, Simple & Delicious, etc etc, not that I cook or anything, but anyhoo, in this month's Light & Tasty there are a few good sounding pumpkin recipes, including this pumpkin cake that sounds A-MAZING! I don't have the link on my home computer, but its at work, so I'll post it on Monday
Post away if you find it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofmany View Post
Per Joy of Cooking (the recipe that I use):

To make the pumpkin for the pie filling: Cut the pumpkin shell in half crosswise. Remove seeds and strings. Place it in a pan, shell side up and bake it in a 325 degree oven for 1 hour or more, depending on the size, until it is tender and begins to fall apart. Scrape the pulp from the shell and put it in a ricer, strainer or blender.

Pumpkin seeds:

Separate the seeds from the strings and rinse thoroughly in a colander, then allow them to dry for a bit. Line a 9 or 10 inch pie pan with 2 paper towels. Place the seeds on top of the paper towels and sprinkle some oil over the top (about 1 tablespoon) then salt per your taste. Cover the seeds with 2 more paper towels.

Microwave for 2 minutes. Carefully peel back the paper towels from the top, stir the seeds thoroughly. Replace the paper towels on top and microwave for 2 more minutes. Repeat this process until the seeds are crisp to your liking. Depending on how many seeds you have, this takes anywhere from 6-10 minutes total microwave time. You can tell that they are getting close when more and more of them stick to the paper towels between stirs. I usually just scrape the seeds that are stuck to the paper off with the spoon. They store well in tupperware.
Thanks hon! Now i can hopefully use a fresh pumpkin without making too much of a disaster in my kitchen
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Post your favorite pumpkin recipes!!!!