Science Diet?

krysty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2 year old kitty, Rosco, recently had a UTI, he just came home from being at the Veterinary Hospital for almost 7 days, the Vet prescribed Hills Science Diet Prescription c/d dry and canned, but I have read a lot of negative things about this food, should I continue feeding him this, or is there something better?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
continue to feed but do some research ... Did he have crystals ?? Is theis a first UTI ?? what is the NORMAL food

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krysty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He did have crystals, and this was his first UTI. All three of my cats are on Science Diet c/d now, but I have read so much about this food being garbage, I'm worried about keeping Rosco, and my other two cats on it.

He was previously on Friskies, I know not the best of food, but I was currently in the process of finding, and switching them to a better, more healthier brand.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WHAT type of CRYSTALS???

ALL three SHOULD NOT eat a RX unless all have that issue

krysty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

ALL three SHOULD NOT eat a RX unless all have that issue
The vet told me to allow all of them to eat it.

lonelykitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are other higher quality foods out there that will help with UTI's. I agree if your other cats don't have the same problem as the one with the UTI they should not eat that food!

krysty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They've only been eating it for two days, I've picked it up off of the floor so the other two can't eat it anymore, I asked my Veterinarian if it would be alright, and he said it was perfectly fine to feed them the food, since they're all used to having dry food available all day, and Rosco can't eat the other brand. But I can just feed them all multiple times a day instead of leaving it out now.

What are the other brands he can eat, that will help with the UTI, besides HSD?

krysty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, I want to switch my other two kitties to a healthier food, which one would be best?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sharky - I was wondering as well - a co-worker is feeding her cat Blue Spa (is that right) for crystals. so I was going to recommend that, but I want your opinion first.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Krysty

Also, I want to switch my other two kitties to a healthier food, which one would be best?
What is your budget for say a 6lb bag( about a month for 2 cats)

Originally Posted by kluchetta

Sharky - I was wondering as well - a co-worker is feeding her cat Blue Spa (is that right) for crystals. so I was going to recommend that, but I want your opinion first.
I dont know Blue to be a UTI friendly food OFF to research... blue s chn formula has a mag of .10 .. uti friendly is .09 better for uti is .085% for a mag level in a dry food so NO I would NOT recommend it

krysty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am not exactly sure which type of crystals, my mother spoke to the Veterinarian more than I did about the crystals, I can definitely find out tomorrow though.

I have about $20 extra dollars a week to spend on cat food, I would have more, but I also have six Siberian Huskies who need to be fed.

Do you have any reviews on Wysong Feline Diet, Wellness, or Castor & Pollux?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FInd out what kind of crystals he has; my Samuda had crystals and was prescribed C/D but as we are a large family, I didn't want to have to feed it to my non-UTI cats, nor did I want him to have to eat this unpalatable-looking food exclusively for life; I discussed it with his vet, who prescribed an alternative: METHIGEL. This is a methionine gel supplement -- it is also available in tablet form -- that is supposed to balance the urine Ph and prevent crystals from forming. Check with your vet about this for your little guy -- see if it is appropriate for him, because if it is, you can then feed all of your cats including him a quality premium food (there are many of these, and it depends on your budget and preference as to which one(s) you feed. Personally, I feed Nutro Max Cat, Nutro Natural, Natural Balance, Optimum Nature's Recipe, Triumph, ProPlan, Solid Gold Katz-n-Flocken, PetGold, and Trader Joe's, the latter being a high-end supermarket chain which makes its own cat food brand. Other TCS members have their preferences, so you may want to get more opinions than just mine. But I would definitely discuss Methigel with your doctor!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I cant in good conciens say anything without KNOWING the type of crystals...

If Struvite Nutro max is UTI certified and would be my recommendation ... WET FOOD IS way WAY better for UTI / crystal cats

krysty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll call the Vet tomorrow morning and ask what type of crystals. He's on HSD C/D at the moment, this food won't effect him in anyway since it's (from what I've read) obviously not good for him, would it?

krysty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is Wellness, or Wysong a good brand to feed my other two kitties?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Krysty

Is Wellness, or Wysong a good brand to feed my other two kitties?
I love the Wellness core and most of there wet line... cannot say I am a fan of Wysong