Thinking ahead...

gizmo's mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know I'm getting way ahead of myself, but I wanted to know if any of you have found a way to keep your cats from bothering the Christmas tree?
I have one cat, Gizmo (3) who has never had a problem with Christmas trees. Although she bats at a branch or sparkly ornament, nothing has ever been bothered or knocked down. My roommate's cat Emo (1) is very playful and doesn't know his own size (he's 15 pounds). Since this is the first year Gizmo and Emo (who don't really get along, by the way) will be living together at Christmastime, I'm thinking ahead about how to get a tree without causing a catastrophe. I would really like to get a large, real floor tree but don't want it to get climbed or knocked down or chewed (he killed an indoor palm plant when he ate all of its leaves). Am I going to have to succumb to a tabletop tree, or does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Again, I know this is far in advance, but who doesn't look forward to Christmas??

Thanks!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You won't like my answer. Don't put up a tree. 100% sure-fire way to keep them from having a problem with one.

I don't bother to decorate anymore. Not worth the mess, the hassle, or the danger to my kits.

Then again, no one comes over for the holidays, so I'd only be doing it for myself anyway.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ling learned that Christmas trees are mean and squirt you with water when you get too close

This coming Christmas will be Charlie's 1st with a tree - and I know we probably will have several "fights" on our hands to keep him away....stay tuned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gizmo's mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
aww that's sad... I guess I'm getting discouraged from my festive tree
I was hoping there was some kind of spray or something I could put around the lower branches so that they wouldn't be interested. I have feliway, do you think that would work?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone puts fine netting around the bottom - in a dark green/black so it doesn't show. Seems to work for them.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what I am going to do, I have made most of the ornaments on the tree, most glass, beads,porcoline dolls, delicate stuff. We always have a tree down stairs the kids decorate, the one in the living room is Mommy's.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I solved this problem for my household last year. I got a really small (like 2-3ft) tree that goes on top of a antique stereo cabinet that the cats aren't allowed on top of. That way I can have a tree, and the cats won't bother it.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love having a Christmas tree. I can't imagine not having one. we used to go out and get one (which was alot of fun) then i found out I was allergic, so now we have an artifical tree, it doesn't smell the same but I'm not itchy
I will have to put some kind of barrier so Lucky doesn't go climbing

tallulah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have had to downsize my tree from 6ft to 2ft, there is a lot less to pick up if it topples over lol.

kittys mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, I HAVE to post on this one. I have 4 cats and I've always gotten a real tree at Christmas. I get one that's between 6' and 8' (vaulted ceilings).

I also have several crazy cats that get into EVERYTHING.

I've never had a problem with my tree.
I'd recommend a real tree with short needles (the denser the better). Thomas always tries to climb the tree but it's too pokey and he immediately backs out. Tre and Kota follow Tom's example.

Of course, they do occasionally break ornaments. Tom's favorite spot to sleep at Christmastime in under the tree, so cute!!! Except he sleeps in the nativity right on top of Mary, Joseph, and little baby Jesus. So, that's always spread out all over the place.

They run and dive in my tree skirt like it's a slip 'n slide...I hurry and put presents out to prevent that game. The presents are wrapped in boxes and have no ribbons. (Ribbons are torn to shreads and...if the cat can't stand on the present without ruining the wrapping, it doesn't belong under there).

So, mainly the only problem I can't prevent is the ornaments getting broken (don't hang any family heirlooms and you'll be fine) and the fact that there is just something tastey about tree water. Yuck, they always drink out of the base.

If you're worried about it tipping over, you can use fishline and secure your tree to the wall behind it. Also, I always put my tree in a corner to give it any extra support it needs. Be sure to get a good sturdy stand too. Just in case.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kittys Mom

Okay, I HAVE to post on this one. I have 4 cats and I've always gotten a real tree at Christmas. I get one that's between 6' and 8' (vaulted ceilings).

I also have several crazy cats that get into EVERYTHING.

I've never had a problem with my tree.
I'd recommend a real tree with short needles (the denser the better). Thomas always tries to climb the tree but it's too pokey and he immediately backs out. Tre and Kota follow Tom's example.

Of course, they do occasionally break ornaments. Tom's favorite spot to sleep at Christmastime in under the tree, so cute!!! Except he sleeps in the nativity right on top of Mary, Joseph, and little baby Jesus. So, that's always spread out all over the place.

They run and dive in my tree skirt like it's a slip 'n slide...I hurry and put presents out to prevent that game. The presents are wrapped in boxes and have no ribbons. (Ribbons are torn to shreads and...if the cat can't stand on the present without ruining the wrapping, it doesn't belong under there).

So, mainly the only problem I can't prevent is the ornaments getting broken (don't hang any family heirlooms and you'll be fine) and the fact that there is just something tastey about tree water. Yuck, they always drink out of the base.

If you're worried about it tipping over, you can use fishline and secure your tree to the wall behind it. Also, I always put my tree in a corner to give it any extra support it needs. Be sure to get a good sturdy stand too. Just in case.
That sounds like some great advice! Just be sure not to put the stringy tinsel on it because kitty could easily eat those and get blocked or choke.

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

You won't like my answer. Don't put up a tree. 100% sure-fire way to keep them from having a problem with one.

I don't bother to decorate anymore. Not worth the mess, the hassle, or the danger to my kits.

Then again, no one comes over for the holidays, so I'd only be doing it for myself anyway.
My decorating consists of bringing out my waterglobe. http://www.colorfulcritters.com/brow...970040149.html

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love decorating for the winter solstice but with 3 cats and 3 dogs I gave up on a tree long ago. So for the last 17 years or so I hang a fake garland over the double entry to the diningroom and decorate that with all my nice (and very breakable ornaments). A second garland hangs over the kitchen doorway decorated with food themed ornaments. The cats try the pull the ends down for the first day or so (no ornaments till that's out of their systems) and then ignore it after that.