Homemade Cat Chairs

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cassy is her cat chair that her loving mom made for her.
All that is needed is an old chair without the back, re-cushionseat with fleece material and a long piece of material that is sewed like a tube and filled with polyester batting. After the seat is re-cushioned the tube is tied around the perimeter of the chair. The remaining material can hang-see pic below or be tucked under. My cats love these!

This is Mittens' chair.

Cassys chair is bigger and fleece was used for the tube and the seat. Mittens chair has fleece on the seat only, the other material is regualr cotton/poly.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really need something like that! If they each had one I could probably get my leather executive office chair back! Right now I am resigned to sit on an old secretary chair without arms while one of my cats sleeps in the big comfy chair next to me

If I sit in my big office chair instead of the secretary chair both of them stand on their hing legs and thrust their front legs at me in an effort to push me out of the chair and give it back to them, LOL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your comments!

I had to do something because DH does not want them on the furniture! I bought cat cubes; they don't like them. I have made beds out of wicker baskets which had a canopy, Mittens did not like it. I have spent more time making and breaking cat beds and after all these years I have finally came up with something they like.

Any old chair can be used, just saw off the top. The fabric selection is endless, just make sure the seat of the chair is re-done in something s o f t.

I thought since they like the human sofa and human chair, they would want something exactly or almost like that. I REALLY wanted to make a cat size armchair, so this is the next best thing and IT TOOK LESS THAN A HALF HOUR TO MAKE.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brilliant! And you could do it with old barstools, too!

It would be easy to slip the stuffing out and run the tube through the wash. You could even run elastic around the edges of a piece of fabric that could slip over the padded seat -- a little slipcover that could be removed and washed, as well.

I've got to try this! Thank you so much for sharing!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very clever! You know, I bet you could make some extra money making and selling them. You may want to see if a local store would consider taking them on consignment, or even try selling them on ebay. I think they're adorable!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Brilliant! And you could do it with old barstools, too!

It would be easy to slip the stuffing out and run the tube through the wash. You could even run elastic around the edges of a piece of fabric that could slip over the padded seat -- a little slipcover that could be removed and washed, as well.

I've got to try this! Thank you so much for sharing!
Carol - our minds think too much alike at times!! I also thought bar stools (you can find them fairly inexpensively at places like Target). Make a tube of stuffing that you can remove from the outer material to wash, or use a material that can be machine washed. You could use colors to match your decor!

I bet you could very easily sell these at craft fairs and cat shows. I've never seen anything like that anywhere! Outstanding!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Carol - our minds think too much alike at times!! I also thought bar stools (you can find them fairly inexpensively at places like Target). Make a tube of stuffing that you can remove from the outer material to wash, or use a material that can be machine washed. You could use colors to match your decor!

I bet you could very easily sell these at craft fairs and cat shows. I've never seen anything like that anywhere! Outstanding!
You can also make additional coverings to fit the holiday...for Christmas, Halloween, Easter, 4th of July...sell them in a holiday kit as accessories! Wow, I wish I had thought of this first, but I'm just not that creative.

Thanks for the gift ddcats...I really do love your chairs!!

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your comments!

I am going to redesign the 'Cat Throne'

Some of you commented (sorry, I don't know how to multi-quote, I'll learn someday) about the Throne being washable. The comments were great! BTW, I have thought about stools. For big cats, a big seated stool would be better than those smaller seated stools.

For the wrap-around instead of using poly batting I am going to use foam (cat-cube foam) so it can be washed and not bunch up like poly-fill will.

The seat will have a washable pillow using foam too. I am going to expand the width of the wrap around for Mittens because she likes to be 'hidden'. Also, the foam rectangle that will wrap around the chair will be tapered at both ends (almost a triangle at both ends) for easy tying.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ddcats

For the wrap-around instead of using poly batting I am going to use foam (cat-cube foam) so it can be washed and not bunch up like poly-fill will.

The seat will have a washable pillow using foam too.
You might want to check into a product called Nufoam. It is sold by the yard at stores like Hancock Fabrics, usually about 24" wide and anywhere from 1/2" to 2" thick. It is fully machine washable. It can be pricey so wait until you have a coupon or when it goes on sale. I was thinking you could roll it into a tube shape then put a cover over it.

Be very careful on the types of foam that you use. Most are not machine washable and if they are, you can't throw them in the dryer.

(go check out my website below - I do a lot of work with foam)

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

You might want to check into a product called Nufoam. It is sold by the yard at stores like Hancock Fabrics, usually about 24" wide and anywhere from 1/2" to 2" thick. It is fully machine washable. It can be pricey so wait until you have a coupon or when it goes on sale. I was thinking you could roll it into a tube shape then put a cover over it.

Be very careful on the types of foam that you use. Most are not machine washable and if they are, you can't throw them in the dryer.

(go check out my website below - I do a lot of work with foam)

Do you makes all those cat toys and beds? How talented you are!

I really like this bed and pillow from your site:

I would like to make one for Mittens because she likes to be under cover. I would just taper off the Nufoam edges into a triangular shape, sew material over the Nufoam shape and tie it, I would need to make the sides higher than her original throne so I can put a pillow on top.

Can you explain the 'roll into a tube' and then cover?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ddcats

Can you explain the 'roll into a tube' and then cover?[/left]
Yes, I make everything on my site. I like to look at cool things and figure out how to make them for myself, thus my instant interest in your cat chairs! For the bed that you like, the pad that is on top of the cat is filled with 1" Nufoam. PM if you want to know more - I don't post my secrets on open forums.

The only problem with using Nufoam over other types of foam is that it won't stand upright by itself - it's too pliable and will fall over. It's sold by the yard and it basically looks like a flat white pad, sort of like quilt batting only thicker and stiffer. When I said "roll into a tube", I'm thinking this:

Measure the diameter of the chair, or the length that you want the sides to be puffy. Cut that much Nufoam and roll it up jelly-roll style to give it some dimension. Then make a slip cover and slide it over the outside of the jelly-roll to keep it in place or it will unroll when washed. Does this make sense?