Minnesota must have the world's worst "climate"!!!

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is kind of a vent...sorry!
I just can't believe it...it's only the 14th of September!!!! Just a week or two ago it was summer and the temps were in the upper 80's. And then suddenly, and I really do mean suddenly things changed. Instead of a normal gradual cool down, we quickly plunged into this horrible October-like weather, with temps at night going down into the 30's and 40's, and we're even setting new records.
YUCK!!!!!

For example, today we've got gusty NW winds and a temperature of 42 degrees...so of course it feels even colder. I went outside with a heavy coat on and I thought I was going to freeze to death!!!
And we even have a frost warning for tonight. The "good news" is that in just a few days the temps are going to be back in the upper 70's and maybe even the 80's.
OMG!!!!!! We're all going to be SICK!!!!!

Now, I have to ask, where else besides Minnesota (and Wisconsin and Iowa, & maybe a couple of other places) does the "climate" depend on which direction the wind is coming from????

And finally, I hope everyone else is enjoying much better weather than we are!

mrs.harris

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in Southweat GA and I would love for it to cool down! We are still in the 90's some days. Today is a little cooler though thank goodness! Hopefully you won't get a cold or anything from the big change!

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought St. Louis was bad!!!!!
At least we are'nt freezing! Pretty much the same thing though. Not barely a week ago we were 95+ with lows in the 70's. Now the high is barely 70!!!!! Lows are down to about 45
It really irks me
as I am an avid gardener/birdwatcher- its throwing everything for a loop

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't you just LOVE it

DH says "if you don't like the weather, wait an hour, it will change".....

Besides, it fun to start having to dig out a few long pants/tops and put away the really summery stuff. Most Minnesotians just have a big closet with spring/summer on one side; fall/winter on the other - that way you eliminate 1/2 of clothes packing....

BTW it's NOT freezing till its minus 10 degrees. I have a long sleeve shirt on today and no jacket - was mid 40's this morning

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, no wonder you're enjoying the cooler weather! Actually, I wouldn't mind a gradual change in the temperature...but when the change is very fast and exteme, it just isn't healthy.

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lorie D.

Well, no wonder you're enjoying the cooler weather! Actually, I wouldn't mind a gradual change in the temperature...but when the change is very fast and exteme, it just isn't healthy.
We went from 90+ to lower mid 70s in a day. Down to the lower 40s at night. But Im loving it compared to the 80 at night.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dragged over 40 pots of plants inside, have to cover 4 more with pails (and bricks) so they don't blow away. I have most of my pepper plants and basil covered. Will wait till later to finish covering!! The low temps for tonite have now changed to 33 degrees so I'm sure we will have frost!! Even Bobber is sleeping in the house versus under a shrub or tree.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup- I live in MN

I think it was a week and a half ago... it was 96*, HUMID, awful weather.

Now for the past 2 weeks its been COLD- 30s at night, 50s during the day and I LOVE IT!

Although the drastic change in temps has prompted me to get an awful cold that I just cant shake because the weather keeps changing! The other day it actually hit 70, and then back down to 40 at night, today its been 50s all day and down right COLD!

No complaints here though, I LIVE for this kind of weather, hence why I adore living in MN!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

No complaints here though, I LIVE for this kind of weather, hence why I adore living in MN!
You can keep it Kenz! (I think I tell you that every year!
) It's 75 out here right now and I'm good with that!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hear ya, and feel for ya! I'm from Wisconsin, and remember those days oh so well!!
And I don't miss them at all!

If it makes you feel any better, we occasionally get days like that here, too (Texas, that is), although not as frequently. Especially in the wintertime (or what they CALL winter, that is!) It can be the middle of December or January, and the temps will be in the 60's or 70's, then BAM! A storm/cold front will blow thru, and the temps will drop drastically in a matter of minutes. You'll be wearing shorts one minute, and then will have to turn around and put on sweats & a coat!
You go from A/C to heat in the same day, or vice-versa!

I remember when I first moved here, and the temps got down into the fifties: people were running around wearing thick coats, gloves, & ear muffs, and I had yet to put on a jacket! That was a "spring day" to us northerners back home!
I just had to laugh!
But I'm just as "wimpy" now too myself - I get cold when it drops below 70!
You do get acclimated to it!!

I DO NOT miss those days at all! I have never been a cold-weather person.
It's still in the 80's/90's here, and I'm lovin' it!!

KittKatt

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm "enjoying" the same weather as you are. I live in the Twin Cities/Metro area and it's just as bad! today is was 55 degrees at noon. I like that better then the hot, muggy days of summer, but I wish fall would go back to normal.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been pretty chilly here in Michigan too. It's in the mid 50's right now and just a week or so ago it was in the 80's. The trees are starting to turn, and it's nippy in the morning going to work. I just LOVE this time of year. I love the fall colors and the smell of the air....sunny autumn days, apple cider and donuts, bonfires, etc. The only thing I don't like about autumn is the fact that winter is right on it's heels. Man, I HATE winter.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

I remember when I first moved here, and the temps got down into the fifties: people were running around wearing thick coats, gloves, & ear muffs, and I had yet to put on a jacket! That was a "spring day" to us northerners back home!
I just had to laugh!
But I'm just as "wimpy" now too myself - I get cold when it drops below 70!
You do get acclimated to it!!
That's how it was for me when I moved here (mid-atlantic region) from Upstate New York. I didn't wear a coat to school till February! And I found getting a snow day for what seemed like a miniscule amount of snow just hillarious. I used to call my old friends up and tease them. Now I'm one of the ones getting all upset when we get our little bit of snow on the ground!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

And I found getting a snow day for what seemed like a miniscule amount of snow just hillarious.
I agree!

Gosh, there has to be at least 6 inches or more of snow on the ground before they close the schools in Wisconsin!
And people don't "hibernate" either, unless there's a full-fledged blizzard occurring!

I have to admit, I DO miss the fall, though!
All those pretty colors when the trees change over! But I don't miss the 6 months of bare trees and all that bleakness of winter - although the snow IS pretty when it's falling.

~KK~

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lorie D.

Now, I have to ask, where else besides Minnesota (and Wisconsin and Iowa, & maybe a couple of other places) does the "climate" depend on which direction the wind is coming from????
Well they say in Kansas, if you don't like the weather, just wait 15 minutes and it will probably change. We live in a part of the country where the weather fronts battle it out - cold from the north, winds from the west, and rain up from the gulf. You can be on one side of town and be sunny and 80, and 30 miles away it will be rainy and 50.

We're supposed to dip down to 42 tonight. High yesterday was about 85 and high today was in the 60's. But yes, we're supposed to rebound back to the 80's by Monday.

It's too early for the cold!! *brrrrr*

But look at the bright side - the kidlets get snuggly when the weather cools off!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's below 40* outside here. I cannot catch some of the farm cats, they fell for it last time, so now most are still outside. I opened the garage door a crack, it's like 60* in there so they'll be warm.

I want summer back!