Why do men do things like this??

mrs.harris

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My husband came home from physical therapy today and made me hold our dog Murphy, who is huge by the way, so he could go inside without him jumping on him and gettign him dirty. Even though he was going to take a shower when he go inside before we go see the comedian!! What was the point of making me get dirty and covered in mud?? He is aggrevating sometimes.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO I would not have held the dog - I'd have made him sit-stay or hold to the collar so the dog would not jump up.

You guys need to work on basic obedience

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe he didn't want to un-fix whatever he did at physical therapy?

That or he's self-centered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrs.harris

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The dog does not listen. We just got him a few days ago and he has had no training other that what I have tried to do so far! He does not sit/stay. He jumps and if you hold his collar he chews on you! He was just being bratty today, he's been in physical therapy for months, Murphy will not "undo" that.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see
Hope you sign him up for basic obediece real soon. Nothing's worse then a large dog with no manners!

And the small ankle biters are just as bad with most owners letting them jump and jump - I hate that too

mrs.harris

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm hoping he will calm down a lot after we get him fixed next week! Another thing is even though he has a dog house, and a clean dry porch, he likes to dig a huge hold in my garden and sleep in it!
Why??? I can't keep him clean for anything!

kerry'n'ben

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
men ... can't live with them can't legally shoot em
(only joking) ben would probably try to get me to do that too! My reply would not be polite

mrs.harris

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kerry'n'ben

men ... can't live with them can't legally shoot em
(only joking) ben would probably try to get me to do that too! My reply would not be polite
That is exactly how I feel!
Marriage is wonderful but it does have a few catches I guess...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really suggest reading "The Loved Dog" or "Dogs for Dummies" and working with your dog on commands/etc if you are concerned about him jumping.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea, Guys can be a bit self centered at times!
And where are you holding him with his collar that he can bite you still? You gotta show the dog that you are in charge. The way we are taught to do it at work to show your dominance to them, put them on the ground on their backs and stand over them and hold them still for a minute. It works really well, but it can be hard to do!
either classes or get a no jump harness to help with training. We have a few people that use them at work. A large dog jumping at you when you dont expect it can cause injuries! Also see about a class at maybe petsmart or maybe a local shelter or doggy daycare. A lot of those have classes for not that much! Good Luck!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been trying to figure out why men do the things they do for years: I've given up - my blood pressure is high enough as it is!

Seriously, the dog needs to learn some manners, and the sooner the better. I don't like it when a dog jumps all over me either - dirty or not!

Good luck in training him!

Kittkatt

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's your husband in physical therapy for? It's possible that's why he didn't want to hold a rowdy dog... though who knows why he said he didn't want to get dirty.

I can't really say anything on the matter though, I'd do the same myself, but more because I wouldn't be able to hold the dog.

Seriously, take people advice and start working on training your dog to behave. All you need is some spare time and an internet connection to learn some basics.

mrs.harris

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have began, like I said I've only had him a few days. My husband had a wreck in March and he broke his kip and tore 3 ligaments in his knee, so now he is finishing up his PT for that. He can walk and do everything normal now, but he still has some flexibility issues.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you didn't want to hold the dog, you should have said no...that's what I would have done

I know you just recently got the dog, but I agree with the others that he needs obedience training. An obedient dog is a happy dog.