Mysterious rash...any ideas?

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know ya'll aren't doctors, but maybe someone has had this happen before?

So, for nearly two weeks now, I have had a rash all over my torso. It started as papules (just red, raised areas), and now I have pustules (pimple-like spots). They concentrated mostly on my abdomen at first, but then spread to my underarms, back, and down both sides of my torso. They are not in clusters or a recognizable pattern.

Now, there are several large spots (mosquito bite-sized) that are pustules on my back, with only one on my abdomen now.

I've seen the Dr. She has no idea, but though maybe scabies. But, nothing itches, nor do any of the spots appear lower than my thighs, or upper arms. The concentration is on my torso. We don't have bedbugs or fleas, and Brandon (DH) has no spots on him at all.

I haven't changed: deodorant, detergent, body wash, lotion, perfume, etc.

Anyone ever have this problem before? (sorry, no pictures of the spots!)

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had something similar a couple years ago. It was mainly just on my side near my hip, it did itch quite a bit though. I didn't go to the doctor but it everyone said it could be shingles... but I did have chicken pox as a child. The strangest thing was, I had the rash for about a week or so, then had an awful stomach virus and the day after the virus started going away, the rash was completely gone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Had a bad case of chicken pox as a child.
Dr. definitely ruled it out. Thanks for the site! I'm going to look that up.

Also, I've never had shingles, that I know of. Not sure what they look like (and wouldn't my Dr. know they were shingles?)

kerry'n'ben

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
could be an allergy to foods? My partner used to drink lager whenever he went out and he suddenly came up in similar spots on his body, it turned out to be an allergy to something in the lager! Let us know if you find out

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shingles are PAINFUl. If you had that, you'd know.

THe rash you describe sounds to me just like the impetigo that my daughter had as a child. It doesn't itch at all.

You might want to look into that.

kerry'n'ben

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

THe rash you describe sounds to me just like the impetigo that my daughter had as a child. It doesn't itch at all.

If it is impetigo you can get creams for it but it is usually easily passed on so i would thought your partner would have some thing too

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you had chicken pox bad as a child, you should'nt have to worry about shingles.
Have you been in the sun alot recently?
Buy any new jeans or belts with metal on them?
When it first started, did you itch then? Did it spread rapidly or stay in the same spot(s)?
Just trying to help you narrow it down

bnwalker2 pointed a possibility out- there could be a nasty virus or staph infection in your body or on your skin. Maybe you could try flushing your system out somehow

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks!

Originally Posted by kerry'n'ben

If it is impetigo you can get creams for it but it is usually easily passed on so i would thought your partner would have some thing too
Pfft, if he caught a cold from me, I'd die of shock! That man has the immune system of an antibiotic. lol

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I never caught impetigo from my daughter, and I had full contact with her daily - I dressed her, bathed her, fed her, etc.

It comes from bacteria in your own skin.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chichismom

If you had chicken pox bad as a child, you should'nt have to worry about shingles.
Have you been in the sun alot recently?
Buy any new jeans or belts with metal on them?
When it first started, did you itch then? Did it spread rapidly or stay in the same spot(s)?
Just trying to help you narrow it down

bnwalker2 pointed a possibility out- there could be a nasty virus or staph infection in your body or on your skin. Maybe you could try flushing your system out somehow
I know I'm allergic to nickel, and I know that those rashes are severely itchy (I keep a piece of masking tape on the back of jeans buttons because of my allergy).

They never itched, but the thought of bedbugs had my skin crawling. Definitely a mental thing! It also spread pretty rapidly, but only one or two spots on my thighs or upper arms (like, one little spot). They also fade after two or three days, and then others form. I notice the new ones in the morning.

I also didn't start any new medications (I mean, I did two days ago, but well after this situation started).

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Start or stop using BC lately?
Nope, been using the same thing for years. :/

Also, I've seen images of impetigo, and the spots I have are less like blisters and definitely more like pimples (with a white head). They also don't seep or burst. Unless there are different degrees of it, it doesn't seem to match. *scratches head*

kerry'n'ben

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I never caught impetigo from my daughter, and I had full contact with her daily - I dressed her, bathed her, fed her, etc.

It comes from bacteria in your own skin.
It's a similar thing that causes coldsores. I always get those sorts of things, my cousin gets impetigo alot and i have to stear clear
. Some people are lucky and have a good resiliance to those sorts of things - i obviously don't
hope you manage to find out what it is!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It's a similar thing that causes coldsores. I always get those sorts of things, my cousin gets impetigo alot and i have to stear clear
. Some people are lucky and have a good resiliance to those sorts of things - i obviously don't
hope you manage to find out what it is!
Where on earth are you getting your medical info?

"Cold sores" are caused by the HERPES virus, same as chickenpox and shingles. Cold sores are NOT caused by bacteria.

OP, do your research, and even though I'm giving suggestions, take ALL suggestions given to you with a grain of salt, as obviously, we are not medical professionals here!

I strongly suggest you make an appointment with a Dermatologist, as they are THE only ones qualified to give you proper medical advise/diagnosis.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice, everyone!
The only thing that's nearly identical to what I'm experiencing is either Pityriasis lichenoides chronica (PLC) or Pityriasis lichenoides et varioliformis acuta (the acute form of PLC). But, I'll talk to my doctor about a referral to a dermatologist.

Thanks again!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's best not to take a guess when it comes to your health hon. We are not going to be helpfully on here because we are not dermatologists that specialize in skin issues/etc. Your best bet is to get into a reputable derm. asap to have this issue addressed and get something to help clear it up if possible.
Good luck!

(by the way, have you had a staph infection ruled out by your other doctor?)

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's not true.

Shingles is a reactivation of the chickenpox virus. Once you have had chickenpox, the virus lies inactive in your nerve roots and remains inactive until, in some people, it flares up again. When the virus becomes active again, you develop shingles instead of chickenpox.

Anyone who has had even a mild case of chickenpox can get shingles. People who have a weak immune system are vulnerable to reactivation of the virus that causes shingles. Many factors can weaken your immune system, including aging, injury, and illness. Medications that weaken the immune system can put you at risk of shingles reappearing too.

Exposure to shingles will not cause you to develop shingles. However, if you have not had chickenpox and you are exposed to shingles, you can develop chickenpox.

Someone with shingles can potentially expose you to chickenpox if you come into contact with the fluid in the shingles rash blisters.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still going to find a professional to take a look. I'm not *concerned* as much as confused, lol.

My Dr. looked at my spots, where they're all located, and all she said was, "If they were itching and all over your hands, I'd say it was scabies, but since you're asymptomatic, just watch it and call if it gets worse." *shrug*

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No no no -- it's the other way around! If you've had chickenpox, you ARE at risk for shingles. However, the rash you describe doesn't sound like shingles at all. Can you get to a dermatologist?