Help my puppy won't eat

alf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok so we just got a beagle puppy about 2 months ago. 2 days ago I came home from school and noticed he wasn't his usual energetic self and there was some vomit in the garage. So we took him to the vet and they did some x rays and gave us some special food and pills to give to him for about 10 days. The vet also said yesterday she had given him some of the food and he gobbled it up and didn't vomit so she gave him more and he still didn't vomit. So today we have tried to give him the food but he won't eat it. He has already vomitted twice and he just lays around. I'm just confused because the vet said he ate it really fast but now he won't. Any ideas??

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd give the vet a call and see what they say. Obviously its still something wrong with the pup. Hope he gets well soon!

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What was the vets diagnosis? What kind of food did she give you?
I agree with GoldenKitty45, give them a call. Maybe they can give you something else.

Good luck!
Hope your puppy is back to himself soon

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please take him to the vet ASAP! My Beagle mix, Scooter, is ALWAYS hungry. The first time he wasn't hungry, I didn't worry too much about it. Then the next day he had a 105 fever and spent 4 days at the vet for an unknown illness that nearly killed him.
So the second time he didn't want to eat, we went to the vet right away. He had a fever, this time it was 107! It was another unknown illness but we had caught it a lot sooner because I knew he was sick the second he didn't want to eat.
Scooter gets sick a lot and no one really knows why. He tests negative for everything under the sun but is still sick. Antibiotics does the trick every time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She said that something might just be in his instestines and that it will most likely go away and she gave us this food called Medi-Cal Gastro Formula. She said the food would be easy on his guts and she also gave him an injection to soothe his stomach but he is still not doing anything.

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he drank any water? Gone poddy?

Puppies can dehydrate very quickly- if he has'nt ate or drank anything since leaving the vets office- take him to a vet immediatly!

Second opinions never hurt either

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
second opnion fast ... do you know how to check for hydration

alf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No don't you feel their nose or something?? He just had a lot of water but he still won't eat. I put a little bit of food on my finger and stuck my finger in his mouth to get him to eat but he would just walk away. I think we are phoning the vet though

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Insist on blood tests.
This is exactly what my last dog was doing when we got a positive on Parvo.
She survived, thankfully, the rest of her litter did not.
Please, if it is distemper or Parvo, fast diagnosis is needed.

alf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is parvo and distemper?? I think we should do blood tests though because I don't think if it was something he ate he would be acting like this.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are viruses that can be fatal, particularly to young dogs, or very old dogs.

alf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok well I will tell my parents to ask about it. I don't want to lose my puppy especially since I have begged my parents for the past 2 years for one and now I finally have one and it would suck if he passed away.
Do you think he could be acting like this if there was something in his intestines? Because they looked on the x rays and said his intestines look a little swollen so there could be something there but I just didn't think he would be this lathargic. I think the vet called it a GI in Discretion.

alf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so we called the vet and they said that his behaviour wasn't normal so we took him in. They did some blood tests and more x rays and they can't find anything wrong. They also said that they can't find any dehydration in his blood but he is actually dehydrated. So they might have to do surgery and see if there is something in his stomach that didn't show up on the x ray or something. I will keep you updated on what happens. Also we left him at the vet's because they want to observe him overnight to see what happens.

alf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
we got him from a breeder I think. Also Zeus (the puppy) is on IV fluids now.

bijou's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ALF

She said that something might just be in his instestines and that it will most likely go away and she gave us this food called Medi-Cal Gastro Formula. She said the food would be easy on his guts and she also gave him an injection to soothe his stomach but he is still not doing anything.
I recently started my animals on Seacure. I'll post the link. You should also check out the article in the Whole Dog Journal. I've already noticed a huge differance in my cats allergies and tummy problems. Her poo doesn't smell as stinky anymore. I'll know in a few more days how my pug is reacting to it. (the pug has terrible allergies)

http://www.propernutrition.com/pet.html

I hope your puppy is feeling better soon.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You said you took him to the vet and they said he gobbled up the food and didn't get sick. Then you said something about him being sick in the garage. I'm wondering if you leave the puppy in the garage, if there might be something in the garage that is making him sick.

alf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bijou's Mom

I recently started my animals on Seacure. I'll post the link. You should also check out the article in the Whole Dog Journal.
Thanks for the info. I will ask the vet about it. And about the garage thing. When we first brought him back home after they told us he ate the food and didn't get sick we left him in the house and he just kind of wandered over to the chair and jumped up and started being lathargic again so we don't know what could be wrong. But he is staying another night at the vet's because they still don't know what it is but they said he wasn't as lathargic as before but he is still lathargic.

alf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Could he have gotten into any kind of poison in the house or garage - something like antifreeze???
I don't think so. But the vet just called and said he was doing much much better and we still have to feed him the Medi Cal and some new pills that are anti nausea pills and we have to be very careful not to let him eat anything outside. Thanks for all your advice! I will keep you updated on how he is if any of you want to know. Thanks again!