Need Help - Recurring UTI

russ0268

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

In the last year Simon my 8 year old 16 lbs. cat has had 3 recurring problems with UTI. I just took him to the vet for the current one, and again the vet has him on meds to help with the problem. I feed him very good food, Wellness. He mostly eats canned and sometimes has dry available to him. I have been trying to get his weight down, but it has not be easy. He didn't gain the weight over night and I know he won't lose it overnight.

My questions is, my vet want to put him on the perscription Hills food. I have read that the stuff is not very healthy and would appreciate any experiences others may have had on this food. Both my cats love the Wellness and I only feed the grain free so I am relutant to change. Is there something that I could be adding to his diet that would help him with the UTI problem?

Thanks for you help. Laurie

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wellness has to high in magnesium. If I remember correctly it is .10%. You want a food with .08%. Purina One Urinary Tract I used for 9 years with good results. I also used Royal Canin Special 33 with good results. Both those foods are .08%

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

russ0268

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since he mostly eats the canned, which lists the magnesium at .025. Maybe he just can't eat dry food. I like leaving them something to munch on during the day. I pick up the dry food in the evening. And they get canned food 3 times during the day, morning, when I get home from work, and and small amount at bedtime.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmm, I would either cut out the dry completely or else find a better one for urinary health.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by russ0268

Since he mostly eats the canned, which lists the magnesium at .025. Maybe he just can't eat dry food. I like leaving them something to munch on during the day. I pick up the dry food in the evening. And they get canned food 3 times during the day, morning, when I get home from work, and and small amount at bedtime.
WITH a history now of UTI look for mag in cans of .022 or less ...

I also say nix the dry if you can

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh sharky...I feel bad asking the same questions about UTI wet food...but I went on the hunt last night and everything I find is .025% mag. I couldn't find anything lower, do you know any brands that are lower?

I really need to find a competent vet to help me sort out Hailey's health problems.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
umm give me some time .. should have some by the weekend

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh shoot, I bought the lite yesterday which is .025%. I'll have to remember to get regular next time for my little chub girl.
The new pouches seem to be in the range too. Arg, I had a coupon for them and threw it away because I was thinking they didn't make pouches anymore.

Hailey got a UTI while on Natural Choice kitten food http://www.nutroproducts.com/ncccdry-kit.shtml

I think it's that one...is that within the guidelines?

Ahh...I wish I had a healthy cat...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by venusgirltrap

Oh shoot, I bought the lite yesterday which is .025%. I'll have to remember to get regular next time for my little chub girl.
The new pouches seem to be in the range too. Arg, I had a coupon for them and threw it away because I was thinking they didn't make pouches anymore.

Hailey got a UTI while on Natural Choice kitten food http://www.nutroproducts.com/ncccdry-kit.shtml

I think it's that one...is that within the guidelines?

Ahh...I wish I had a healthy cat...
ANY dry can help with causeing or aiding in a UTI.... some are safer than others due to adjusted % ... the kitten doesnt list magnesium but the other two are within the range if a bit higher since it is a Kitten formula