Twice Yearly Exams

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just saw an ad from the American Veterinary Association recommending twice yearly exams for all cats and dogs. I know senior cats and cats with some chronic conditions should be seen twice a year but all cats and dogs. Once a year is expensive enough, I think I will continue with once a year at least until I have a senior cat.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, there has also been discussion contrary to the vet recommendations, that indoor cats may not need to be seen as often if they are never outside, not exposed to many other cats, and are otherwise in good health.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
well you and I should see the dr and denist twice a year so I see it okay... My Zoey has two examine s a yr ... my vet charges just the office call

jenc511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't really think a young cat needs to be seen twice a year, unless there are other health issues requiring more frequent monitoring. As for seniors, I don't think twice yearly exams (along with bloodwork at least once a year) are overkill.

To be quite honest, I like the vet to get a look at my cats (and the once-a-year Purevax rabies vaccine requires it), but without bloodwork and further diagnostics, I can't say that you're neglecting your cat if you don't take them in for check-ups. An observant owner is going to notice most obvious (as in, outwardly visible) issues, anyway.

I have had kitties live to be in their twenties with minimal care, so it can obviously be done differently. I often wonder if I'd done all sorts of diagnostics on Sam, if I would have been freaking out about CRF for many years before she finally became ill and died at 22. She was never sickly (until the very end), so who knows if it would have been worth it to go nuts over her bloodwork?

lonelykitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
our dogs go 2 times a year but with Chaos we'll probably just stick to one. Our vet charges a fortune but our dogs have to go to get x-rays for their hips and other stuff so their trips are neccasary. Chaos will probably only go once a year though for his shots and exam and that's it.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JenC511

To be quite honest, I like the vet to get a look at my cats (and the once-a-year Purevax rabies vaccine requires it), but without bloodwork and further diagnostics, I can't say that you're neglecting your cat if you don't take them in for check-ups. An observant owner is going to notice most obvious (as in, outwardly visible) issues, anyway.
I agree with this, for the most part, but I really believe checkups are important. Even observant owners can miss things, or dismiss vague symptoms as just "slowing down" when there is, in fact, a problem that should be treated. Cats are so good at hiding their pain that it's easy to miss.

jenc511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
momto3cats, I agree that a lot of "getting older" signs could be easily treated diseases. However, when we're talking about the difference between people who will take their cats for twice a year bloodwork and people who won't/can't afford annual check-ups, I doubt the latter group is springing for bloodwork and other diagnostics when they do take them. If you just take your cat in for a rabies shot and let the vet look it over, it seems unlikely that you'll aggressively diagnose and treat many diseases in their early stages.

I guess I see it as a lot of potentially homeless cats living to their mid-teens and not receiving aggressive care for treatable diseases vs. being euthanized much younger in shelters. A lot of people can give a long-term home to cat, but may not be able/willing to afford aggressive treatment of CRF, diabetes, etc.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat is 1 1/2, got all his shots when he was a baby and is neutered. He does not go outside ever. He also eats a good quality diet.

I honestly don't think I will take him for a "check-up" but maybe every 2-3 times a year (mostly so they can look at his teeth). Money is no problem, I just don't see the point of putting him (and me) through the stress. This is of course as long as he is eating, pooping/peeing and acting ok.

I just had a physical (because my insurance made me), have zero health issues, no meds and I know I will not be repeating the experience yearly.

Twice a year? Other than a visual inspection of the cat, what would a vet do?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by meow meow

My cat is 1 1/2, got all his shots when he was a baby and is neutered. He does not go outside ever. He also eats a good quality diet.

I honestly don't think I will take him for a "check-up" but maybe every 2-3 times a year (mostly so they can look at his teeth). Money is no problem, I just don't see the point of putting him (and me) through the stress. This is of course as long as he is eating, pooping/peeing and acting ok.

I just had a physical (because my insurance made me), have zero health issues, no meds and I know I will not be repeating the experience yearly.

Twice a year? Other than a visual inspection of the cat, what would a vet do?
fecal , possible urine some also do a basic CBC panel