How to tell them

lda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That the big bed is my bed and the little comfy bed is his? He doesn't sleep in his bed at all

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats like to sleep up high - not on the floor. So put his bed in a chair or even on your bed or a dresser and I'll bet he uses it more.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Most cats like to sleep up high - not on the floor. So put his bed in a chair or even on your bed or a dresser and I'll bet he uses it more.
This is absolutely true! Maia needs to sleep where she can see me while I sleep, which the best view is from above!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got him today, and my first time raising cat too! :p I couldnt sleep tonigh because everytime I fell asleep he would get onto me and wake me up

dani_elle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My mom bought my cats a cat-bed once. They sniffed it a few times, peed in it, and never went near it again.
We threw it out right after and never attempted another cat bed.

I like cuddling with my kitties when I sleep though, so it doesn't matter too much.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't sleep well unless Bijou is cuddled in with me. I'd be more upset if he preferred a kitty bed to my bed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I dont mind sleeping with him but I'm just afraid I would accidentally roll onto him and choke him

stalker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When i 1st got my girls Mitzie would sleep on my pillow and Fluffy on my shoulder purring in my ear!

Was ok at first but after a while with 2 persians that snore for england they had to move! bought 2 beds and placed on the bed and they took to them straight away, then slowly moved their beds..... eventually to the sofa downstairs ahh heaven !!

Now sadly the same trick isn't working with the new boy though....

Oh and dont worry about rolling onto them they get out the way trust me lol

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a friend that has put her cat bed at the foot of the bed, help in place by the footboard. Her cat actually uses it there, and won't get in it any other place.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDA

I dont mind sleeping with him but I'm just afraid I would accidentally roll onto him and choke him
I honestly think that if you rolled onto your cat in bed he would scream and scratch and scrabble about and you'd wake up sharpish! They are pretty good at getting out of the way, I think as soon as they sensed you moving they would shift themselves if they were in your path.

Sonic has slept in our bed since the first night he came home with us when he was 13 weeks old and he just grumbles and moves if we turn over in the night. Radar is a recent addition to our bed - we've had him longer but he's recently decided to sleep with us, and if we move he gets out of the way too. Now how the cats deal with each other in the all-important-territory of our bed is a different (and slightly sleep-depriving for us) matter but not relevant to this thread!!!

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats will sleep where cats will sleep. I've gone to great trouble to provide my cats with warm, comfy beds and they aren't using them at all right.
LDA, it sounds like your new kitty wants to sleep with you on your bed. Why don't you try putting a cat bed on the bed next to you and see if your kitty will sleep in the cat bed when it's on your bed. That will solve any concerns you have about you rolling over and about the cat sleeping on top of you, and it also gets the cat bed up off the floor and someplace we know your cat wants to be. You might want to experiment a little with placement. Some cats like to sleep at the foot of the bed, some at the head of the bed, and some in the middle.

Good luck and have a happy life with your new kitty!!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well...I must be a weirdo as most of the time, my cats don't sleep with me. I like them sleeping with me, but my DH doesn't due to his allergies. So, I have 2 kitty beds on the floor beside my bed. When I'm getting ready for bed, part of my routine is to brush them and give them some quality petting time. They get in their beds, I groom them, then we all go to sleep. They stay in their beds and I'm in mine. Sometimes they want to be in other places in the house when I'm getting ready for bed, so they don't come for their nightly brushing. Most of the time, when Hannah comes to the bedroom, she'll jump in her bed. However, my older cat, Callie, jumps up and snuggles up with me. I call her my sneaky snuggler because she gets in bed with me at around 3:00 in the morning while I'm dead asleep!!

Stephanie

auchick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've definately rolled over onto Marble a few times. It's usually not a big deal, she just finds a new spot near me and all is well again.

joe poppers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by auchick

I've definately rolled over onto Marble a few times. It's usually not a big deal, she just finds a new spot near me and all is well again.
Yeah, our 20 lb kitty sleeps with us too. We actually have a queen bed with 3 pillows. Hubbie and I sleep in the corners and Joe takes the whole middle inlcuding the pillow in the middle

We don't worry about rolling over him, we mostly worry about HIM rolling over us and crashing us while we sleep!
Sometimes I wake up with a butt up my face

But cats will get out of the way, my hubbie and I are not the best sleepers and we have the tendency of kicking and moving around alot while we sleep and during the 5 years we had Joe sleeping on our bed, he never got hurt. There was a few times I did kick him while I was asleep ( he was laying on top of my legs) but all he did was fall off the bed and climb right back up

I would not worry about your cats, I think it is pretty impossible to hurt a cat that is sleeping with ya on the bed, unless he is a kitten ( then I don't know!)