Someone had mentioned

bazkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
...that they sprinkle some Brewer's Yeast on wet food to get their cats to eat it. Where do you find this at? Can you get it at the grocery store? If so, what section is it usually in?

Thanks!

G

ghostuser

I usually see it in with the vitamins and herbal supplements and such. The problem with the grocery stores around here, though, is that I only see it in pill form, and I'm far too lazy to crush it all up. And our health store only carries this huuuge tub of it.. so I haven't gotten around to trying it out myself yet. But I hear great things about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bazkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow! Was I WAAAAAYYYY off
I asked someone in the store and they suggested I try with the baking goods....
Of course, I had no clue either.

G

ghostuser

Maybe they were thinking of normal yeast? I had no idea where to look for it at first either, of course.. I just remembered they had a ton of weird stuff in that section and lucked out.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im not even sure what brewers yeast is but I use it all the time, its so good over popcorn. I get mine in the bulk section but I dont suppose all grocery stores have those. You could check in a health food store or pet stores should have brewers yeast tablets and they're not too hard to crush.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just an FYI, it doesn't work for all cats. Cindy sniffed it and walked away. But maybe she's just exceptionally picky

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

Just an FYI, it doesn't work for all cats. Cindy sniffed it and walked away. But maybe she's just exceptionally picky
I was so excited when I heard about Brewers Yeast because I was hoping to use it to get all cats on premium wet. Mine werent really impressed with it either.

BUT I have heard of others that have had great success with it.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got mine at a health supplements store also.

Of mine only Coco likes it but she *loves* it!

Toby likes parsesan cheese.

I haven't found anything Zara likes as a sprinkle on food enticer.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I believe I bought my Brewers Yeast on ebay. Make sure you don't get what is described as Brewers Yeast for Cats that has added garlic.

G

ghostuser

I went ahead and got some of this today since I caught it on sale.. and while Chase seemed VERY interested in the container, sniffing it like crazy and rubbing on it... he was rather unimpressed when I sprinkled it on his food. Goofy cat. My sister's little fat cat loves it, though. I guess I'll use it to treat her with her wet food so it doesn't go to waste.

lonelykitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tru

I believe I bought my Brewers Yeast on ebay. Make sure you don't get what is described as Brewers Yeast for Cats that has added garlic.
I always get the stuff with the added garlic because garlic helps repel fleas. Why is garlic bad for cats? Should I stop feeding it right away?

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lonelykitten

I always get the stuff with the added garlic because garlic helps repel fleas. Why is garlic bad for cats? Should I stop feeding it right away?
I should look up all the info and give you links, but in short, (since I'm a lazy person).

Garlic is from the same plant family as onions. The effect of onions has been proven to be cumulative in the system of cats and can cause anemia. Since onions and garlic are so close, it follows to not give your cats or dogs either one.
I've noticed that some vets now have signs at their sign in desk expressing same.

So please don't give garlic to your cats.