I ordered...

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ordered a cage from petco...a couple of days later I called to cancel the cage because we didnt need it because I had founda better one. They thanked me and said my order had been successfully cancelled...I checked the site in 24 hours like they had suggested and it showed my order had been cancelled. Today I recieved the cage
What would you do? Let me add something else I wasnt home when the package was delievered or I would have refused it. The nearest petco is 2 hours from me and returning it will cost me 25 dollars.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
did it include a invoice?

if not, i say you got a free cage,lol

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I learned in Law class in college:

US Consumer Law: You can cancel a purchase within THREE business days without penalty.

If a company sends you something that you have not ordered, by law, you can keep it.

Technically, if you cancelled your order within THREE business days, and they sent it to you anyway, it is their loss and your gain. You do not have to pay for it OR send it back.

kerry'n'ben

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

US Consumer Law: You can cancel a purchase within THREE business days without penalty.

If a company sends you something that you have not ordered, by law, you can keep it.

Technically, if you cancelled your order within THREE business days, and they sent it to you anyway, it is their loss and your gain. You do not have to pay for it OR send it back.
so basically, you have a free cage! I didn't know that! COOL

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

As you are probably aware, there are several exceptions to this rule. I don't know if they vary from state to state. I didn't have a lot of time to research, so this is the first one I found, a Texas document. https://www.oag.state.tx.us/newspubs...5contracts.pdf According to the website, the "3 day" law applies to sales made at a location other than the seller's place of business. Also, the law does not apply to mail order or phone sales.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

As you are probably aware, there are several exceptions to this rule. I don't know if they vary from state to state. I didn't have a lot of time to research, so this is the first one I found, a Texas document. https://www.oag.state.tx.us/newspubs...5contracts.pdf According to the website, the "3 day" law applies to sales made at a location other than the seller's place of business. Also, the law does not apply to mail order or phone sales.
THe OP is in VA, so a Texas state law will DEFINITELY not apply here.

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Keep it for now. Leave it in the corner. If they don't call or come for it, then donate it to your local shelter. Or just call them and have them pick it up.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

THe OP is in VA, so a Texas state law will DEFINITELY not apply here.
Obviously!
I don't know if the document (from the Texas Attorney General's website) is quoting US law or Texas law. That's the reason I said:
I didn't have a lot of time to research, so this is the first one I found, a Texas document.
I was also pointing out that State laws make exceptions. For instance, in 49 states, you cannot return a vehicle once a contract has been signed for purchase. The 3-day cancellation law does not apply.

You referred to US law. Are there exceptions? Do you know if VA law has exceptions? Apparently many states do. I just did another quick search and can't find VA.