Wowee...Da Bird!!!

my cat mellow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am from England but currently live in Yorktown V
Ok so I ordered Da bird for Mellow, and it arrived today, DH was trying to open it so he could play first, but before we finished unwrapping it Mellow was interested, he was interested to the point of standing under us as we battled to get the tape off that was holding the poles and string together and he just meooooooowwwweeeeeedddd and meeeeeeeeeeowwed! so finally we got it together and wow he loves it! I had to hide it from him in our bedroom closet, and the whole time I had it in my hands he was meowing wanting it back! I only stoped him playing with it because he was panting (our apartment is hot today, been baking with the ac off)
So now he is laying out on the cool kitchen floor eyes wide just waiting for da bird to come back!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hide mine in the China cabinet. All I need to do is walk in the direction of that cabinet and bend over to open and a door and my cats are all over me. I have to put it away when mine start to pant.

Isn't it a great toy!?!?!?!?

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
lol....I just ordered this for Hailey along with a Drinkwell fountain. I'm hoping she'll love it, but I bet she will because she LOVES the cat dancer! Poor thing deserves a new toy with all she's been through lately. It's so funny how they always love the cheapie toys too. Hailey's faves are little mice and the cat dancer. I have some fancier toys that she ignores, but my roomies new kitties will play with anything.

novemberflowers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh man, I can't believe how much my cats love Da Bird. They flip all over the place as we play, and when I put it away (I have to hide it when we aren't playing because they are maniacs if they catch it), they start meowing, crying, carrying on. They love their other toys, but nothing creates a frenzy like this toy does.

exoticbabee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ooooh..this sounds like something I need to get.
Where can I find Da Bird? Is it only available online?

auchick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats go bonkers over it too!! The other day when I was getting up, one of them went over to the bookcase where I keep it, sat down, looked up and cried!

I ordered mine online from Dr. Foster and Smith. I got a good price on the actual toy but shipping is high unless you have a coupon to offset it. I would recommend trying to find one with one long stick. Mine connects in the middle and sometimes if my girls grab the bird with enough force, it becomes disconnected. I would also recommend buying an extra feather because my girls are so rough with it when they "kill"!

tempteq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I ordered mine off of Amazon with CoolCyberCats.

You have no idea how many times I have shoved the feathers back into the little plastic doohickey so I can make it last as long as I can.

I hide mine in the coat closet. I have seen the cats sit waiting at the coat closet for Da Bird to visit. It's like Santa for them.

Although, my 3 y/o was obsessed with Panic Mouse when we first got it and now she doesn't even care. And it seems like her interest with Da Bird is slowly but surely fading. I'm ALWAYS trying to find the next cool thing to keep her interested!!!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you seen the other "toys" you can use on it instead of the feather?!? My Hannah goes wild over the little sparkler thing and the fur toy.

I have to put mine in the drawer when we're finished playing. Like another poster, all I have to do is go stand near the cabinet and Hannah comes running to see if I'm getting her Bird out!

Stephanie

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We go through about 6 Da Birds a year here. Yes, lock them up when not playing with the cat with them. The string is so dangerous if the cat swallows it or the kitten gets it wrapped around its neck.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tempteq

I ordered mine off of Amazon with CoolCyberCats.

You have no idea how many times I have shoved the feathers back into the little plastic doohickey so I can make it last as long as I can.

I hide mine in the coat closet. I have seen the cats sit waiting at the coat closet for Da Bird to visit. It's like Santa for them.
I got mine from there too! Its great! I put it back in the tube when done and Chevy got it open! I did it to see what he would do. He was dragging the stick out with his paws!

We got a generic version and Summer literally chewed the string off in 2 minutes. I watch her closely and take it away from her when she starts...she doesn't need a 3rd intestinal obstruction surgery.

Chevy won't stop chasing it and apparently never gets too warn out, he'll keep going full force even when it drives him to pant (which happens soon after we begin because he gets SOOO into it...

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well Gizmo pretty much killed Da bird a few months ago.

I've been thinking about getting replacement feathers but I haven't gotten around to it. It's a great cat toy though.

Oh and as for the panting, Gizmo did that quite a bit at first. Kinda freaked me out the first time I saw him do that but I've read some things here and it seems to common thing, especially when they get worked up like that. When he starts panting I usually just stop for a bit to give him a break and he's fine.

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Da Bird is the BEST TOY EVER!! That's the only toy that BOTH of my critters go nuts for. And yes, buy lots of refill feathers because those last about um...5 minutes.

And for the poster who said that she puts the feather back in the plastic doohicky, yeah...me too.

That toy rocks! I bought it at PetSupermarket.