Another Soft paws question

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How much to soft paws cost? Tubee and Samba both like scratching our matress, so we were considering buying some. So does anyone know an average price. And where do you suggest buying them? (which places are cheaper) Thanks!

Manda

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by proudmomof3cats

How much to soft paws cost? Tubee and Samba both like scratching our matress, so we were considering buying some. So does anyone know an average price. And where do you suggest buying them? (which places are cheaper) Thanks!

Manda
I got a bunch on ebay for like 15ish after shipping. I would bid to like 11 and like 4 for shipping. Best deal I could find. If you don't like ebay I've heard other recs here so I'm sure someone will come in and give you some places online to buy. Petsmart and petco are like 20-25 I think.

lozza73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by proudmomof3cats

Manda
I bought these for £14 for 40 on ebay. Be warned, though, they bring their own problems...if your cat starts chewing them, things (string, cotton, etc) can get caught around them..also, they're no different from false nails and can strip the nail bed - causing your kitty to have very sensitive nails and cry from time to time :O(

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lozza73

I bought these for £14 for 40 on ebay. Be warned, though, they bring their own problems...if your cat starts chewing them, things (string, cotton, etc) can get caught around them..also, they're no different from false nails and can strip the nail bed - causing your kitty to have very sensitive nails and cry from time to time :O(
Yep, one time Hailey got one off and along with it came like half the nail. It bled some and I was at work at the time. Luckily it didn't look like it bled too much as there was no blood around the apartment, but it still freaked me out.

stalker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok I thought these things were a joke when i saw them on TV, I can't believe people actually buy these let alone use them!!

You chose to have cats, cats scratch things, get used to it or find more understanding owners for your cats!!

Is this another culture thing between UK and USA?

seems USA its your MY cat you live MY way
and UK its you're in my family I'll treat you like family

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Stalker

Ok I thought these things were a joke when i saw them on TV, I can't believe people actually buy these let alone use them!!

You chose to have cats, cats scratch things, get used to it or find more understanding owners for your cats!!

Is this another culture thing between UK and USA?

seems USA its your MY cat you live MY way
and UK its you're in my family I'll treat you like family
I don't think saying get used to it or find more understanding owners for your cats is appropriate or nice. It is very true that a claw can get damaged if it is pulled off or snagged on something but it is the same injury that your cat may get after sinking their claws into the couch, carpet, cat tree, etc.

Soft paws are basically harmless and I think that people who use them do understand their cats. That is why they use these instead of declawing or simply getting rid off the cat because it tore everything up.

stalker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok maybe i was a touch harsh, but cats claw, its in their nature.. like tellin a bloke not to scratch his bits really and mittens wont stop him doing it lol

I don't think saying get used to it or find more understanding owners for your cats is appropriate or nice.
I very much doubt many cats think brightly coloured bits of plastic round their claws is very nice either!

Anyone ever thought of a scratching post? my cats love it! yes they catch their claws in it, yes they pull their claws out, you should see the mess round the bottom of mine!!

My honest opinion is those soft claws things are close to cruelty!

Disagree I expect you will but the only advantige i can see is to owners who want perfect cats (they dont exists! I've looked)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We don't care very much, but the problem is that Samba likes to scratch through everything. Tubee we understand, he is a kitten and he is getting better at not scratching furniture. After finding out the price we are just going to live with the scratching. I know cats scratch, and I would never get rid of one of my kitties. Samba has been peeing on our clothes for almost a year now and we still would never get rid of him so don't think we don't love him. I just wanted to see if this could be a good idea.

Manda

Oh and we have 5 scratching posts, 3 of with are 6+feet.

stalker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
do you tell them off properly when they scratch what they shouldn't?

Ours get dunked under a tap if caught going for the sofa arm!

you know what they dont go for the sofa any more

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We try to spray Samba, but he just doesn't see to associate punishment with the crime. He isn't the brightest cat, but we are trying hard. Thanks for the advice.

stalker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fluff and mitz are dumb as dumb gets the message got through eventually,

persavere you'll get there, they do now understand the word Tap lol

hope ya get it sorted

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Stalker

do you tell them off properly when they scratch what they shouldn't?

Ours get dunked under a tap if caught going for the sofa arm!

you know what they dont go for the sofa any more
So you think soft paws are cruelty to animals, but dunking a cat under the tap is fine?

stalker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
little bit of water wont harm them, pulling their claws out will