Which Dry to mix?

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Riley is currently eating California Natural dry and Merrick and Evo wet.

My foster cat isn't crazy about the Cal. Nat. and won't eat wet food at all. My question is, I would like to have a 2nd dry that I can mix with the cal. nat. so maybe she will like it better. I have no way to feed them seperate.

Which dry food would you recommend to mix with it? I order from petfooddirect so it would need to be from there. Should I use Evo since he seems to like the wet? Or would Serengeti or something else be better?

He has no known health issues, no weight issues and generally likes any poultry and fish flavors although I do try to limit his fish.

Thanks for any and all opinions

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have any local stores that might carry samples? If not, you may want to see if the manufacturers would give samples as well--that way you can find a food the cat will eat without spending tons of money on "rejects."

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with cloud_shade. I've wasted a ton of money trying to find a combination for mine. I'm currently mixing California Natural and Orijen, but I went through just about every other premium food out there before they accepted the Orijen.

If you send emails to the companies whose food you want to try, a lot of them will send you samples. Also, some of the stores keep samples of the stuff they sell.

Good luck!

vettech

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, get samples. I ahve gone through bags of natural foods to find what my cats like. They likes Solid Gold and wellness the best. Orijjen has a very high protein content, I dont like that. Its not balanced enough.

kittylover77

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed California Natural and my kitties love it. Since I am a huge fan of simple formula foods I'd go with Nutro Natural Choice Adult (green bag).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I stopped in the pet store last night and they had a 2 pound bag of Evo so I got that. The foster is still adjusting to the California Natural so I'm going to wait a few weeks before I try introducing the Evo in the mix. They said I could return the bag if they won't eat it

Orijen is too inconvenient for me to get right now. I need to be able to buy their food all at one place or from the same website.

Riley wouldn't eat the nutro canned but I'll keep the dry in mind if the evo doesn't work out. Like I said, he likes the cal. nat. just fine, its the foster that doesn't, so I just want a mix, but not to switch off cal. nat. totally.

kittylover77

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I usually alternate monthly get a bag of Cali Natural or Nutro Natural Choice.
Id mix both, if someone liked one more than the other.
EVO got my 6 year old girl pudgy, when I switched off of it, the weight dropped.

If your kitties are not prone to pudgyness, EVO is great. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover77

I usually alternate monthly get a bag of Cali Natural or Nutro Natural Choice.
Id mix both, if someone liked one more than the other.
EVO got my 6 year old girl pudgy, when I switched off of it, the weight dropped.

If your kitties are not prone to pudgyness, EVO is great. Good luck!
Hmm, well Riley is a long slender boy but the foster is a bit pudgy. In a couple weeks I'll try mixing about 2/3 CN and just 1/3 evo and see how they like it. If they start getting fat, I'll try something else. Thanks for the info!

mechanicalman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Which dry food would you recommend to mix with it? I order from petfooddirect so it would need to be from there...

Orijen is too inconvenient for me to get right now. I need to be able to buy their food all at one place or from the same website.
I noticed today that Pet Food Direct is now carrying Orijen.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan

I noticed today that Pet Food Direct is now carrying Orijen.
YIPPY... sorry ... I have been needing to get more orijen and hoping I wouldnt have to get a box labelled cat toys again...

If the wet EVO works the 1/3 to 2/3 rds Cal natural for a start pt seems reasonable

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does your cat just not like California Natural or getting tired of the food? I've found that after a while my cats were not so fond of Nutro. I really think that after dry food has been sitting in storage for a couple of months it loses that smell that attracts cats to it. Therefore I no longer mix brands unless I want to change to another brand because I will end up with more dry cat food and after a couple months it will lose its potent smell. I simply buy 3 pound bags of dry cat food only and it lasts me a while because I also feed wet food. If you want to keep things interesting for your cat you can change brands every now and then, like once the bag is only a quarter to a third full start mixing in a new brand to switch to it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by moggiegirl

Does your cat just not like California Natural or getting tired of the food? I've found that after a while my cats were not so fond of Nutro. I really think that after dry food has been sitting in storage for a couple of months it loses that smell that attracts cats to it. Therefore I no longer mix brands unless I want to change to another brand because I will end up with more dry cat food and after a couple months it will lose its potent smell. I simply buy 3 pound bags of dry cat food only and it lasts me a while because I also feed wet food. If you want to keep things interesting for your cat you can change brands every now and then, like once the bag is only a quarter to a third full start mixing in a new brand to switch to it.
... this is why I recommend no more than 2 months of food be stored at one time if they are naturally preserved.... they can go stale depending on conditions.. ie humidity , heat or cold , wet or dry