Denied, Denied, Denied..I'm mad

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I got the call today and the people that I filed an app for medical help denied me. Apparently they no longer help people get medical care but that was not reflected on their website. Then they told me about another form of help through my hospital. Yeah no go there. That program is only to help if you go to the ER and get treatment and if the decide to do surgery. My hospital is not the best and they did not help me at all last time I went. All they told me was go see a doctor.

By this point I am mad and I am fuming. So as a last ditch effort I called a hospital in Savannah. And told them if I do get help I am going to the news. I am tired of people treated like this because I have no insurance. No one will help me and the doctors charge an arm and a leg with min. help. She told me to go to the ER there. An OB team will see me. She then told me to tell them to refer me to them (women's health institute) and to have me fill out finical aid papers to get help.

If I don't get affordable help then I will go to the news. This is BS that they are treating me this way. I can not believe this day in age people with no insurance get treated like this. That threats of calling every news station around and exposing this is the only way to get help.

For the record. I have stopped bleeding from the other day if not I would already be on the way to that hospital. Right now ,as awful as it seems, I have to wait to start bleeding again. And when I do I am on my way.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree you are certainly getting the run around. Is there perhaps a Planned parenthood location closeby you could contact for advice????

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
why were you denied? Confused because in other thread you wrote you applied for 'medical assistance' - and in my state that is what we call our Medicaid. All states have different rules and I'd like to hear why they denied you...or, do you mean "medical assistance" of another kind? If that is the case, did you apply for Medicaid?

I work will many pts without insurance everyday, and am curious what the deal was.

Is self-pay discounted care legal in your state? It isnt in MD but it is in CA (for facility) - the docs can discount all they want.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it totally blows but that is how it goes. When I didnt have insurance no docs would help me... I tried applying for GAMP (medical assistance), but because I wasnt a resident of Milwaukee I could seek no medical assistance no matter what the situation. I ended up spending $100 at a doc office and all he did was check my heartbeat (What a jerk, obviously my heart is still beating if I am standing in front of you) and then he sent me on my way. I wanted my money back, but apparently they think $100 just to listen to your heart is ok...

Can you get a job with insurance or get a policy with something like Blue Cross Blue Sheild?

It is really important to have insurance, without it... Getting help and proper treatment is slim to none and VERY expensive. At least in my experience...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CDubbie

why were you denied? Confused because in other thread you wrote you applied for 'medical assistance' - and in my state that is what we call our Medicaid. All states have different rules and I'd like to hear why they denied you...or, do you mean "medical assistance" of another kind? If that is the case, did you apply for Medicaid?

I work will many pts without insurance everyday, and am curious what the deal was.

Is self-pay discounted care legal in your state? It isnt in MD but it is in CA (for facility) - the docs can discount all they want.
Not Medicaid. Me and the husband do not qualify for that. This was another program. Apparently they dropped the medical assitance part of the the program and now only help with medicines. But their website does not reflect that.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're absolutely right to be livid -- but nobody should be surprised. People without insurance literally die on the doorsteps of hospitals in this country every day. Even people who are insured, but who reach their coverage limit in the middle of lifesaving cancer treatment, are literally wheeled out to the curb the day the payments stop! (My source on this is a friend who works for the American Cancer Society, and these are not isolated cases.)

This is a heinous crime against humanity, it is done in the name of the almighty dollar, and it is part of a well-oiled money machine operated by HMOs, pharmaceutical companies, insurance companies, and the politicians they own.

We should all bear this in mind every time we vote.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear you are going through this. It makes me really grateful that we have the NHS.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An update here:

I did email a news station in Savannah, 2 1/2 pages, I'll let you know if and when they contact me.

I started bleeding again this afternoon. Its to late to make the trip to Savannah. I'll have to wait and see what the morning brings.

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My parents are going through something similar. My dad had some sort of weird infection in his toe, and they had to amputate it. 6 weeks later it happened to the next toe. This was with him telling them repeatedly that something was wrong. They had been paying $45 every time to see the doctor because they thought they had to. They really can't afford it, as my dad has racked up $30,000 in medical bills. Well, the collection agency called my mom and told her that she had to pay the doctor bills. She said she wanted an itemized statement, no big deal right? Well, the lady said since she was paying the $45 copay she should be able to pay the doctor bills! WHAT?? Apparently, if you DON'T pay the copay, they will see you anyway, and NOT harrass you! My parents only found out that you didn't have to pay when someone in front of them with a different ethnic background was told to "pay what you can". They never told my parents this. Now my dad has not worked in about 4 months at least, and my mom is working her butt off. When she told them that she couldn't pay right now, they said, "well, your working right?" Yeah! To pay bills! It is like they don't even understand losing an ENTIRE income! I work in the medical profession and HATE the way things are going. Good luck to you.