I was diagnosed with Lupus today. . .

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, last week I went to the doctors for bloodwork, and a check up because it had been so long since my last. In the past week I have developed a rash across my face. I went in to the doctors today, and lowe and behold, I have tested positive for Lupus in two different tests. A preliminary test and a secondary more thorough test. I have an appointment with the Rheumatologist on tuesday of next week (the 18th). I am kind of scared, and kind of upset. Not quite sure what this means for me now, or for my future. Anyone here with the disease, or know anyone with. Any words of encouragement?

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww sweetie!

My dad's step mother has been diagnosed with lupus since as far back as I can remember (and I'm 22) and has always led a pretty normal life regardless. She is just now getting really sick, but its unrelated to the lupus.

Try not to worry too much, talk with your doctors and get second opinions if you don't feel satisfied.

Mindset has a lot to do with it. She was never phased by having lupus and refused to let it bring her down. Keep your chin up!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, that would be scary
Hang in there. I have no idea about the disease..hopefully it doesn't affect your life too much.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to give you some words of encouragement as well. Even if you do have lupus, that doesn't mean you can't still try to live your life normally. Things do get better... I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason. I don't know much about Lupus.. but I am sure you are going through some confusing, tough times right now. Good luck!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rachel, I'm sorry to hear that. One of my good friends has lupus, and the good news is that she is still doing well many years after the diagnosis. She's had to change many aspects of her life - she can't be out in the sun at all without extensive protection, she can't exert herself. It's been a tough road, but she stays positive and reminds herself of what she does have and what she can do.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a very good friend that has it, and it can be managed successfully for a very, very long time. Follow doctor's orders, make sure you take aspirin daily if they recommend it. Other than that, it really doesn't change your life much, other than being a big inconvenience at times.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the support guys. I really appreciate it. It is my understanding that you can still have a family and everything. I am only 20 so I have alot of life that i still want to live! Than you again for the support!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww best of luck sweety. I dont have any experience to share with you but Im hoping you feel better soon and find some way to manage your condition. Im glad they were at least able to figure out the issue, even though its not a simple answer.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NoRachelHere

Thank you for the support guys. I really appreciate it. It is my understanding that you can still have a family and everything. I am only 20 so I have alot of life that i still want to live! Than you again for the support!
No problem.
Keep us updated as you find out more info! If you ever need to talk... you know that we are here.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know much about it, but I wanted to offer you my support.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about this! I have no idea about Lupus either, but I'm sure your a very strong woman who can get through this!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NoRachelHere

I have an appointment with the Rheumatologist on tuesday of next week (the 18th). I am kind of scared, and kind of upset.
Just a little heads up, your first appointment with a Rheumatologist will likely be very long. Don't be surprised if you spend hours waiting.
Take all and any medical information that you have, especially copies of your recent blood work. He or she may very well want to do a full panel of blood tests as well.

Read up on lupus and any medication you may end up on. It's good to know possible side effects, prednisolone/prednisone being a big one for flare ups.

Good luck with your visit. Hopefully your Rheumatologist will help you get a treatment plan set up soon so you can get to feeling better.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww sweetie!!

I am sorry to hear this. I dont really know what to say. I know you are young and finding it early is probly a good thing. I really dont know much about Lupus though.

and many many
to you!!!

lady20

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The tenant who lives in my dad's basement has lupus and pretty much leads a normal life. Thats the good news that you can live a normal life, just a few things to listen to the doctor about, and I believe there might be different strengths of the disease, the other people gave you some good web sites to visit. Keeping positive and happy is a major step.

Helene

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You guys are great! i appreciate it so much. I have heard that the first appointment will be quite intensive. . . And I am not looking forward to the bloodwork, but anything to get better. . . Thanks again guys!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, there are different "strengths" of lupus -- many people barely know they've got it, and I'm sending big-time vibes that you'll be one of those people. Stand tall and don't let it intimidate you!