Cooking Experts!!!

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, it's fall, and I have a crockpot and want to start using it. I don't use it often anyway, but I love them. Is it really ok to leave it running all day if you're not home?

I like soups and would really like to make some soups in it. Does anyone have any good soup/stew/crockpot recipes?

Can you make something in the crockpot, put it in some storage containers, and freeze it until you're ready to eat it? I've never done that before but am a huge fan of convenience!

mrs.harris

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, you can leave it on all day. Most recipes turn out better if you do! and yes, you can also freeze it and eat it later.

I really love Hungarian Goolash, the recipe sounds strange but I swear it is so good!!

Take a 3lb sirloin roast and cut it into 2 inch cubes. Put it in the crock pot with a large diced onion, 2 cans of tomato soup, 1/2 cup of ketchup , 1 TBSP of paprika and a little salt and pepper. Add water until the meat is completely covered with liquid and cook it on low for up to 12 hours! Serve it over mashed potatoes.
Everyone loves it when they try it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That actually does sound really good! So, I don't have to be home to supervise the crockpot? I guess that's why I don't use it more often, because I'm afraid of leaving it running. But I'll take a leap! Thanks for the recipe! EASY, I love easy!

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We love cooking on the slow cooker! Put a bunch of yummy stuff in - let it cook - and even yummier stuff comes out
You gave us inspiration to cook up some tasty food in our crockpot!

Heres some websites for Crockpots:
http://allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes...rm=slow+cooker
http://southernfood.about.com/library/crock/blcpidx.htm
http://www.recipe4all.com/dishes/crockpot/

We weren't sure what type of food you are into so just gave you a few websites to surf through to see if you like anything...we are looking through them too, they look like delicious recipes anyways...

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by greenvillegal

So, it's fall, and I have a crockpot and want to start using it. I don't use it often anyway, but I love them. Is it really ok to leave it running all day if you're not home?

I like soups and would really like to make some soups in it. Does anyone have any good soup/stew/crockpot recipes?

Can you make something in the crockpot, put it in some storage containers, and freeze it until you're ready to eat it? I've never done that before but am a huge fan of convenience!
Yep. Just set it on auto and it will cook on hi for a period of time and then lower to simmer for the rest. When I was working I used to use my slow cooker frequently. Never had a problem.

I am the Queen of freezing foods! One thing I've learned is that if you are planning on freezing something like a soup or stew, that you under cook it a bit so that the veggies are cooked but still somewhat hard. Freezing actually "cooks" things like veggies so if you have fully cooked veggies and freeze them, when you thaw them out they will be mush.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, tho my ex refused to have a crock pot or electric blanket. He claimed that someone should be home to watch the pot or it could start a fire. I'm serious - he refused to let me have one!

We own two crock pots now (small and large) and never had anything happen!

Anyway, yes you can put it on all day. Just be sure you clear everything around it and push it to the back of the counter so it won't be knocked off by a cat or something.

You can freeze the leftovers and have them another time.

DH usually makes roast, potatoes and carrots with a little onion and roast beef gravy in the crock pot. We've also made chili in it too

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mrs.Harris

Yes, you can leave it on all day. Most recipes turn out better if you do! and yes, you can also freeze it and eat it later.

I really love Hungarian Goolash, the recipe sounds strange but I swear it is so good!!

Take a 3lb sirloin roast and cut it into 2 inch cubes. Put it in the crock pot with a large diced onion, 2 cans of tomato soup, 1/2 cup of ketchup , 1 TBSP of paprika and a little salt and pepper. Add water until the meat is completely covered with liquid and cook it on low for up to 12 hours! Serve it over mashed potatoes.
Everyone loves it when they try it!
I'm going to try it too!

Is that *condensed* tomato soup??

And yes, what you cook on the cooker can certainly be frozen and reheated later.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use mine a lot during the winter because I love stews, soups, etc when the weather is cold.
Mine also has a timer on it so I can have it shut itself off, after a couple of hours then just reheat when I get home. I know they are safe but I also don't like the idea of them being on all day.

One of my favorite recipes is for chili which I make with both ground beef or with zucchini as a vegetarian meal.

The recipe is
1.5 lbs ground beef or 2 large zucchini (chopped in larger pieces)
1 canned stewed tomatoes,
1 can kidney beans with juice,
small can crushed tomato's
1/2 cup water.
3 chopped celery stocks.
1 large onion chopped,
1 large green pepper,
1 large chopped tomato
1 can mushrooms (optional)
salt, pepper
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
splash of tabasco
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce.

If you like your chili more spicy add extra cayenne, or some jalapeno peppers.
Often if I am making it vegetarian I will also add a handful of green beans or a few baby carrots.
Now I am hungry just thinking about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did make some Guinness (yes the beer) chili a few months back... HOLY COW it was good. If I can remember I'll post the recipe, but you can look it up online too. The beer just adds something to it. It's amazing.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katz4Life

We love cooking on the slow cooker! Put a bunch of yummy stuff in - let it cook - and even yummier stuff comes out
You gave us inspiration to cook up some tasty food in our crockpot!
Those would be my recipes also. I use the crockpot to clean out ingredients from the fridge. If you like something in a stew, add it to the crockpot!

But here is one that I really love:

3-4 pound beef roast
1 can beer
1 jar diced pepperocini peppers

Cook on low for 10 hours. Pull the meat out of the pot, shred it and return it to the pot. Optionally, add a sliced onion and a package of Au Ju mix and cook for another hour.

Serve over rolls as sandwiches.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Those would be my recipes also. I use the crockpot to clean out ingredients from the fridge. If you like something in a stew, add it to the crockpot!

But here is one that I really love:

3-4 pound beef roast
1 can beer
1 jar diced pepperocini peppers

Cook on low for 10 hours. Pull the meat out of the pot, shred it and return it to the pot. Optionally, add a sliced onion and a package of Au Ju mix and cook for another hour.

Serve over rolls as sandwiches.
I'm stealing that reciepe!

I use our crockpot ALL the time! One of my favorite is:

Pork chops (how many you need - we only usually have 2 for us)
1 can of creme of mushroom soup
1 can water
Salt/Pepper/Seasoning salts

Cook for 8 hours on low- they are SO good, they just fall apart

You can also put some cut up potatoes in there too and cook with it!

I dot he same also with chicken breasts, but use creme of chicken soup instead, and cook the same, they are sooo amazing!

Happy cooking!