Why doesn't TCS have a chat room?

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most forums I'm a member of have some form of a chat room or shout box. Why doesn't TCS have one? I realize we all get to chat on the board but a chat room is different because we get to interact more with people we may not otherwise talk with privately. I think it would be a great addition to the forum.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's probably for the safety of TCS's minors but I'm not totally sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

It's probably for the safety of TCS's minors but I'm not totally sure.
There are plenty of websites with minors on it that have chat rooms. I can't see that as an excuse. And Moderators can also kick people out of chat rooms if they use the right program.

noludoru

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LMAO! It ought to be mandatory that you have an account to get into the chat room. I know on Chaz, it's annoying as heck when we have some unregistered person harassing the flow of the chat and saying 'oo guess who i am' over and over. Or doing things to deliberately anger us.

Although, I think a chat room might be a COOL idea! So amny members on here to talk, I bet we could have a blast. But I dodn't know what that would do as far as cost goes..

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure it would be nice, but I wouldn't care wither way. I go on plenty of forums that have chat boxes and I never use them or look at them...however, I'm sure that there are plenty of people on here that would love to have on, so it would very likely be a lovely addition to the site (I just wouldn't use it that often).

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
its been said the reason, is that someone can not be there to monitor the chat room 24/7

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by noludoru

LMAO! It ought to be mandatory that you have an account to get into the chat room. I know on Chaz, it's annoying as heck when we have some unregistered person harassing the flow of the chat and saying 'oo guess who i am' over and over. Or doing things to deliberately anger us.

Although, I think a chat room might be a COOL idea! So amny members on here to talk, I bet we could have a blast. But I dodn't know what that would do as far as cost goes..
On that forums I go on with chat it is mandatory that you be a member of that forum before going into the chat room. And as far as moderating it 24/7 if the right chat room is used it will create a chat log. It can be reviewed and dealt with accordingly. And all mods I know are harsher on those type of issues because their not there to immediately stop the issue. So if someone is messing up in a huge way they are gone ASAP! Which of course in return reduces those instances because everyone knows you have less wiggle room to mess up.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do not think a chat room will happen. There just aren't going to be enough people to monitor it properly. Remember, TCS is used in schools, so a chat room could get out of hand quickly.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I do not think a chat room will happen. There just aren't going to be enough people to monitor it properly. Remember, TCS is used in schools, so a chat room could get out of hand quickly.
I didn't know it was used in schools. Are these school children members?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

I didn't know it was used in schools. Are these school children members?
Someone else is better qualified to answer that question, perhaps a MOD?

noludoru

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Moderating a chat room? Now there's something I've never heard of before.... But as far as the family friendliness goes for TCS, then yes I suppose that would be necessary. But if the case I don't know if it'd be the best idea... you'd essentially have the poor mods spending all their time in the chat room! That'd be kinda boring.

BUT.. since I've said it before... how about more mods?
Then you all would have a chance to breathe. Whenever I read posts about you guys, I feel kinda bad, because you all seem stretched thin--this is WAY too big a forum for so few (most of the forums I'm on have 6-12 people moderating each individual bit of the forum, and each mod is assigned to several places around the forum, so you wouldn't have to have a hundred people moderating, just 20 or so). It might be a good idea to snare a few of the well-known, more responsible members who you trust.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well how about expanding the mods? I remember when MSN had their chat rooms with 4 types of people; a viewer, regular chatter, a brown mallet and a gold mallet.
A viewer merely viewed and couldn't talk or whisper or anything.
A regular chatter just chatted.
Go figure? lol.
A brown mallet was like a vice-mod. They could kick but that's it.
A golden mallet was The Mod. They could promote 'goldies' or 'brownies' and they could demote, kick or ban people.

Sounds pretty good, right?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I recall, there were two TCS chat nights, and there just wasn't enough people involved to bother continuing with it.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Add me as well.

Only people who are registered with TCS should be able to get onto the chat room. And those here who are under 18 already know we have restrictions on certain words we use on the forum, they should be able to stick to that same rule in the chat room, otherwise i think that members who are over 18 and have a certain period of membership (like the requirements that apply to the secret santa) should be able to give friendly warnings etc.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

If I recall, there were two TCS chat nights, and there just wasn't enough people involved to bother continuing with it.
I think everyone here means a permenant chat room, not chat nights. I for one have never been able to get onto the chat nights due to different time zone, daily activities and having to download programs to actually chat at a certain time. It is way too much effort for just a once in a while chat. I vote for an actual chat room where we can go in and out and chat to whomever is there at the time.

I don't have icq/msn/yahoo etc. I stopped using mirc when i met Tristan as there was too much crud on there to deal with.

I love replying to posts, but i'd love to actually chat to you girls/guys.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But the fact that so few people did attend the chat sessions sets up shows that no one is really interested in chatting, at least not moderated chat, and as Gaye said, Anne's official decision has been posted and there have been many threads on it since with the same answer.

Many forums I am on are scaling back on chat rooms now for several reasons, people can lie about their age to get on them, both children and adults and that can lead to problems, chat rooms eat bandwidth and are expensive for forums to run, the moderating problem - they tend to cause admins more problems than anything else.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's certainly not the consensus on the forums I attend. But to each their own.