Penny is finally starting to act like a Bengal...

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...and Ginger is NOT pleased.

Impish little Penny has a new game: Ambush Ginger!

Why is Ginger such a fun target? Because she SCREAMS when she's mad, and instead of facing and fighting, she screams and runs away to the top of her cat condo! It is the funniest thing, poor babykitty.

I've been pleased that Penny has respected (up until now, of course) Ginger's alpha kittiness, but Bengals are little troublemakers (because it's fun
) and it has become a daily game of ambush.

I feel bad for Ginger, but at the same time, I'm pleased to see Penny amusing herself!

Oh...how to balance the emotion!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

...and Ginger is NOT pleased.

Impish little Penny has a new game: Ambush Ginger!

Why is Ginger such a fun target? Because she SCREAMS when she's mad, and instead of facing and fighting, she screams and runs away to the top of her cat condo! It is the funniest thing, poor babykitty.

I've been pleased that Penny has respected (up until now, of course) Ginger's alpha kittiness, but Bengals are little troublemakers (because it's fun
) and it has become a daily game of ambush.

I feel bad for Ginger, but at the same time, I'm pleased to see Penny amusing herself!

Oh...how to balance the emotion!

8-Bit does this to Scratch every day.

"Beat on Scratch until he screams like a little girl" it really fun.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have the same problem with my Bengal Simba. He ambushes and pounces on my 10 yr old gigantic 30 lb Siamese Shane, and Shane screams and runs, and little Simba chases him. Simba also likes to tease my other Bengal Angel, because she's scared of him.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

I have the same problem with my Bengal Simba. He ambushes and pounces on my 10 yr old gigantic 30 lb Siamese Shane, and Shane screams and runs, and little Simba chases him. Simba also likes to tease my other Bengal Angel, because she's scared of him.
Hope, please tell me that "30 lb. Siamese" is a typo! I thought Bijou was getting too big for his .., well for anything really, harness, collar, . .

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Takoda loves to do this to Trouble. She screams to high heaven every time.

I don't know what it is called but have you noticed if Penny puffs her whisker pads and breaths real heavy when she is stalking Ginger?

Takoda does this to Trouble and it is the funniest thing I have ever seen.
He blows out and puffs up his whiskers so they kind of face forward instead of to the side and then puffs air out his nose really fast.

Nial might know what I'm talking about though.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

Takoda loves to do this to Trouble. She screams to high heaven every time.

I don't know what it is called but have you noticed if Penny puffs her whisker pads and breaths real heavy when she is stalking Ginger?

Takoda does this to Trouble and it is the funniest thing I have ever seen.
He blows out and puffs up his whiskers so they kind of face forward instead of to the side and then puffs air out his nose really fast.

Nial might know what I'm talking about though.
rut roh.......that's actually very aggressive behavior that bengals exhibit when they are ready to fight for real.

Does Takoda seem to be playing or is he trying to hurt Trouble?

Sorry for the thread hyjack Betsy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

rut roh.......that's actually very aggressive behavior that bengals exhibit when they are ready to fight for real.

That's ok!

Note to self: Watch Penny when she stalks Ginger to check for blowing and puffing...

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol Eazy does that to heyu, he loves to hide under a blanket or rug, and has heyu walks past he reaches out to smack her.hahaaha to which heyu turns into a puff ball and runs.

lol followed a min later by heyu running back in, and jumping on the bump under the rug.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
some bach flower rememdys might help... there is one to calm that behavior..... walnut was recommended to me

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Hope, please tell me that "30 lb. Siamese" is a typo! I thought Bijou was getting too big for his .., well for anything really, harness, collar, . .
Not a typo. Technically Shane is 28 lbs. He's enormous and almost too big to sit on my lap. He's as wide as my chest, and he hurts me when he gets on my lap. He's the most enormous Siamese cat I've ever seen, and he's really not fat. He's just HUGE. I think he could stand to lose some weight, though, maybe down to 20 lbs.

Simba is a tiny little thing. If he weighs 10 lbs that's probably stretching it. But he ambushes Shane all of the time, because I think he loves to hear him squeal and scream.

Simba doesn't do the aggressive puffing of air, though. He's just havin' fun.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I never knew it had a name!

He does it every time I bring out Da Bird or those straw things Teri gave me when he was a kitten and of course Trouble. He has never acted like he is ready to fight for real. Every once and a while he will get a wild hair and annoy Mia but a sharp NO, knock it off normally works. He does let me know he isn't happy when I tell him to Knock it off.

Trouble will sit on the back of the couch behind my head and Takoda will climb into my lap put his paws on my shoulder or stand from the floor and do his whisker thing at her. I just normally laugh because I think it's adorable. When I laugh and tell him to leave her alone, he stops looks at me and chirps. Some times he will go back to doing it again but normally he will see if I'm eating something he can steal a bite of or he goes off to something else.

We first noticed it during our nightly bedtime play with the straw when he is a kitten. I would hold the straw high and he would sit and look up and do his whisker thing. He has done it ever since.

Should I be worried?

I'm also sorry for Hijacking the thread too!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

I never knew it had a name!

He does it every time I bring out Da Bird or those straw things Teri gave me when he was a kitten and of course Trouble. He has never acted like he is ready to fight for real. Every once and a while he will get a wild hair and annoy Mia but a sharp NO, knock it off normally works. He does let me know he isn't happy when I tell him to Knock it off.

Trouble will sit on the back of the couch behind my head and Takoda will climb into my lap put his paws on my shoulder or stand from the floor and do his whisker thing at her. I just normally laugh because I think it's adorable. When I laugh and tell him to leave her alone, he stops looks at me and chirps. Some times he will go back to doing it again but normally he will see if I'm eating something he can steal a bite of or he goes off to something else.

We first noticed it during our nightly bedtime play with the straw when he is a kitten. I would hold the straw high and he would sit and look up and do his whisker thing. He has done it ever since.

Should I be worried?

I'm also sorry for Hijacking the thread too!
It's not the whisker thing that is the problem. It's the huffing. I've only known bengals to do this. They puff their whisker pads out and "huff". This is normally a sign of aggression and if you mimic this behavior to a bengal, they will look at you as if you just turned into Godzilla.

Since you explained what Takoda is doing, it sounds like he's just having some harmless fun, at Trouble's expense. I don't think you need to be concerned unless it escalates. He may just be using the technique to intimidate.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

It's not the whisker thing that is the problem. It's the huffing. I've only known bengals to do this. They puff their whisker pads out and "huff". This is normally a sign of aggression and if you mimic this behavior to a bengal, they will look at you as if you just turned into Godzilla.

Since you explained what Takoda is doing, it sounds like he's just having some harmless fun, at Trouble's expense. I don't think you need to be concerned unless it escalates. He may just be using the technique to intimidate.
The whisker thing is always accompanied by the huff when Takoda does it.
I will keep an eye on him when he's messing with Trouble.
At first I thought it was he didn't like Trouble any where near me but he doesn't mind the other cats on or near me.

I've only seen it at play time and have never seen Magnum do it.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bengals and Ocicats must be out of the same molds.....
Charlie is determined to become boss cat over Ling no matter what it takes. He's always picking on her first and pestering her till he gets the top of the treehouse or any other place he thinks he should be and Ling shouldn't be