I left my heart at the shelter today.

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't think it was possible to feel so much pain in a place that was filled with animals.

The first thing I noticed when I walked into the door was the kitten in a cage near the cat room. He was mewing loudly - the poor baby was probably only four months and was so desperate for attention that he moment I stuck my finger through the bars he rubbed against is, eagerly turning as if he thought he might be able to have he whole body touched at the same time.My friend, who was looking for a dog, walked into the back room. A few moments later I followed her afer the kitten settled down a bit.

The kennels were nearly all empty in the building. Most of the dogs were in the outdoor kennels. I walked over to the first two and knelt down next to the dogs. They nearly went crazy, trying their best to fit their noses through the bars to touch me. It was terrible. I wished to death I could take all of them home with me where they wouldn't need to push their paws underneath cold metal fences to be touched.

The other dogs were no different. All were friendly, loveable mutts who seemed to adore people. Every time I moved on to the next dog the others would stare forlornly back at me. It broke my heart to have to leave them there where the only time they got out was so their kennels could be cleaned or to be taken for a short walk out. There wasn't enough people to give these animals the time and attention they deserved to have.

Back inside, I wandered into the cat room. All of the cats were caged except for one, which was wandering around. Though most didn't leap up and beg for attention like the dogs earlier, a few did. I went through one by one, touching them and talking to them.

The cat on the floor brushed by me, and a sat down to pet it. She immediately crawled into my lap and began purring and kneading. Her name was pillow and she was a back and white domestic medium hair with green eyes (she reminded me of Scully a bit). Who in their right mind would give up a cat like this? She was beautiful and friendly - the perfect cat. Wha's more, when I stood up to go to the other cats, she insisted on following me around until I picked her up. When I did she hooked her arms around my necka nd held on.

I think I left a part of me at the shelter with the dogs, cats, and my little Pillow.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If only more people could see that, could see how much those animals want to be loved.....

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know exactly how you felt, I went to the dog shelter once when I was looking for a dog friend for my Vino. Almost instantly after walking into the kennel area I started to cry, all those poor dogs
I have never stepped foot in a shelter again unfortunately. My hat goes off to all those who volunteer, I never would be able to handle it

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is why the rescue doesnt send me to do the pulls at the shelter. I always came back with more then what I was supposed to get or with ones that would be hard to adopt out. I just couldnt leave them.

Last time me and the foster home cordinator went we came back with sooo many puppies. We went to pull 10 purebred Pointer puppies. Came out with those puppies, 1 Golden mix, 2 shepherd mixes, 7 collie mixes and 8 mini aussie/pom mixes. We took all the puppies that were going to be put down that day. Thankfully half of them were adopted out within a week and we were able to fit the rest into foster homes no problem. But it is soo tough. I swore after that I woudl never go back. I cant handle it. Let me deal with the ones that are already safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

If only more people could see that, could see how much those animals want to be loved.....
I know. Another the sad thing is is the fact that all of them were black except for four, and there were probably twenty dogs there. I've decided I'm going to adopt all black dogs when I can...they get overlooked so often.

Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I know exactly how you felt, I went to the dog shelter once when I was looking for a dog friend for my Vino. Almost instantly after walking into the kennel area I started to cry, all those poor dogs
I have never stepped foot in a shelter again unfortunately. My hat goes off to all those who volunteer, I never would be able to handle it
I started crying when I saw all of those dogs, too...the look on their doggy faces is enough to do it. It's a terrible, terrible feeling to have.

It's the opposite for me. I'm never going to fel like I'm doing anything unless I'm able to volunteer there at the shelter. I have the number to call there and, if I'm able to, I'm going to start volunteering there ASAP.
Those poor, poor babies...hopefully I'll be able to make a little difference to them.

Originally Posted by Fostermomm

This is why the rescue doesnt send me to do the pulls at the shelter. I always came back with more then what I was supposed to get or with ones that would be hard to adopt out. I just couldnt leave them.

Last time me and the foster home cordinator went we came back with sooo many puppies. We went to pull 10 purebred Pointer puppies. Came out with those puppies, 1 Golden mix, 2 shepherd mixes, 7 collie mixes and 8 mini aussie/pom mixes. We took all the puppies that were going to be put down that day. Thankfully half of them were adopted out within a week and we were able to fit the rest into foster homes no problem. But it is soo tough. I swore after that I woudl never go back. I cant handle it. Let me deal with the ones that are already safe.
That sounds like a love/hate job. You're saving some and leaving some behind - too tough. I don't think I'd be able to do that without breaking into tears when I left...I admire everyone who has jobs like that. They've got to be so strong.

lioness

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know exactly how you feel.

I used to volunteer at a shelter and it was one of the best things that I ever did. It is sad but to know that you are helping even just a little bit to give those animals some attention, give them treats, take them for walks and play with them - it's just a nice feeling. In reality, the shelter workers just can't do everything as far as giving individual attention and such. That's why volunteering is so important.

I hope to be able to volunteer at our local shelter very soon. I hope you are able to cocoalily!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will have such a hard time when Rob & I pick out our two kittens when we get our house. I will be excited to bring home two little cutie-pies, but will be so upset to leave all the others behind. I've been thinking about volunteering somewhere when I've got time, just to spend time with the little loveboats people give up.

(Of course, Rob knows better and is aware I'd probably ask him every time if I could bring them home!)

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lioness

I know exactly how you feel.

I used to volunteer at a shelter and it was one of the best things that I ever did. It is sad but to know that you are helping even just a little bit to give those animals some attention, give them treats, take them for walks and play with them - it's just a nice feeling. In reality, the shelter workers just can't do everything as far as giving individual attention and such. That's why volunteering is so important.

I hope to be able to volunteer at our local shelter very soon. I hope you are able to cocoalily!
I'll let you (and everyone else) know when I'm able to. There's no if about it, I'm going to - this incident has cemented that sure enough.

Hopefully you're able to too...

Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

I will have such a hard time when Rob & I pick out our two kittens when we get our house. I will be excited to bring home two little cutie-pies, but will be so upset to leave all the others behind. I've been thinking about volunteering somewhere when I've got time, just to spend time with the little loveboats people give up.

(Of course, Rob knows better and is aware I'd probably ask him every time if I could bring them home!)
I still don't understand why people give up their pets. There some situations where you just can't keep them, and I'm sympathetic with that, but when people say they just "can't handle having a pet" (one of the tags on the cages read that) it makes me want to ask them why they got it in the first place.

I asked my mom if I could take Pillow back home. She was $110 and I offered to pay for her myself, but she said she wouldn't let me pay money for a cat when I could get free ones anywhere.
I was considering the money as a donation to the shelter to help the ones I couldn't bring home with me. It makes me so angry that she can be so narrow-minded sometimes.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cant understand why many people just give up having a cat ... why did you get it in the first place? I'd understand if they rescued the cat and then brought it to a shelter. I understand that my friend couldn't deal with having 5 kittens, 2 grown cats, and 2 dogs in her house. We urged her to bring the kittens to a shelter when they were still small, because they'd be more likely to get adopted. We would have taken two, but didn't want to mess with Tigger's content life with just us. (We knew she didn't like other cats stealing our attention!)

*Sigh* I wish I had a kitty hotel!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is heartbreaking I know. I just keep thinking what a disservice I would be doing by taking home more than I could afford to care decently for.

That's one of the things I love about the shelter where I volunteer - the cats are not caged. I met the founder of the shelter a couple weeks ago and commented on it. He said that was one of the reasons he and his wife started the shelter - they did not want to see rows of cats in cages.

I go into any of the cat rooms, sit on the floor and have all these cats come and rub against me and walk over me. It's wonderful. I brush their coats, clip their nails and generally just give them lots of loving. It's wonderful therapy.

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I cant understand why many people just give up having a cat ... why did you get it in the first place? I'd understand if they rescued the cat and then brought it to a shelter. I understand that my friend couldn't deal with having 5 kittens, 2 grown cats, and 2 dogs in her house. We urged her to bring the kittens to a shelter when they were still small, because they'd be more likely to get adopted. We would have taken two, but didn't want to mess with Tigger's content life with just us. (We knew she didn't like other cats stealing our attention!)

*Sigh* I wish I had a kitty hotel!
It doesn't make any sense at all, and it makes even less when you're there looking at all of the beautiful cats that were dropped off. They're all so lovely and friendly - why would anyone give it up? It makes me realize I'm lucky to be who I am - a person who can help look after at least a few animals responsibly and care enough about them to not bring them to the shelter for inane reasons.

A kitty hotel would be nice, I agree.

Originally Posted by Yosemite

It is heartbreaking I know. I just keep thinking what a disservice I would be doing by taking home more than I could afford to care decently for.

That's one of the things I love about the shelter where I volunteer - the cats are not caged. I met the founder of the shelter a couple weeks ago and commented on it. He said that was one of the reasons he and his wife started the shelter - they did not want to see rows of cats in cages.

I go into any of the cat rooms, sit on the floor and have all these cats come and rub against me and walk over me. It's wonderful. I brush their coats, clip their nails and generally just give them lots of loving. It's wonderful therapy.
I want a shelter like that someday...a place where the animals can walk in more then a two-foot radius. I can understand that the shelters would want to keep the sick animals caged, but other then that, I think it would be best for them to be able to walk around.

That sounds heavenly. I wish I could be there right now...

Originally Posted by mbjerkness

I find it really hard, I want all of them, the last dog I got at a shelter, I had to take home, cause he had sad eyes.
When I go into the shelter I realize I love all of these animals. I know some people walk in and feel indifferent toward the creatures left there - but I can't, and I'm sure 99% of you on here are the same way. It really brings you back down to earth.

rone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It doesn't make any sense at all, and it makes even less when you're there looking at all of the beautiful cats that were dropped off. They're all so lovely and friendly - why would anyone give it up?
I feel the same way. Fred & Ginger spent ~5 mo in shelter/foster home before we adopt them. Not even an hour after we brought them home, they start doing the '8' around our legs while meowing loudly. Both DH & I can feel strongly that they were grateful someone give them a permanent home. It's only been 4 mo but I love them dearly & wouldn't trade them for the world.

I no longer visit the local shelter because it always breaks my heart, so many cats and some let you know they need LOTS of love.

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rone

I feel the same way. Fred & Ginger spent ~5 mo in shelter/foster home before we adopt them. Not even an hour after we brought them home, they start doing the '8' around our legs while meowing loudly. Both DH & I can feel strongly that they were grateful someone give them a permanent home. It's only been 4 mo but I love them dearly & wouldn't trade them for the world.

I no longer visit the local shelter because it always breaks my heart, so many cats and some let you know they need LOTS of love.
Isnt it weird how cats can always manage to snag your heart without even trying? It doesn't take more then few seconds to fall in love with them.

I wish I could bring some home with me. I can't, though, and since I'm not able to I'm going to volunteer to give the poor darlings a little bit of attention.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cocoalily

A kitty hotel would be nice, I agree.

My friend's mother in law actually has a "kitty cottage"! They've got a 1500 (I believe) sq ft building, central heating and air, etc. She's got a bunch of cats living there, and pretty much devotes her time to caring for them all.

I say they live better than me, because the room the fiance & I share sure doesn't have central heating and/or air!! We've got an air/heating window unit from about 1980!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i stopped at petsmart the other day for the normal stuff.
And i made the mistake of walking over to the cat cages. Two kittens had been playing with several people watching. Well as i walked up, they both stopped playing and sticking there paws past the bar,and doing the meep thing, how looking at me.

i cant take on more animals, but man,

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My friend's mother in law actually has a "kitty cottage"! They've got a 1500 (I believe) sq ft building, central heating and air, etc. She's got a bunch of cats living there, and pretty much devotes her time to caring for them all.

I say they live better than me, because the room the fiance & I share sure doesn't have central heating and/or air!! We've got an air/heating window unit from about 1980!
That's what I'd like to do, but with all animals. I'm hoping to go to school to be an all-animal veterinarian so I can provide my own care for them. I know one person can only do so much, but only so much is better than no much, right?

We've got central heating and air, but it doesn't always work...you might be better off then I am.

Originally Posted by theimp98

i stopped at petsmart the other day for the normal stuff.
And i made the mistake of walking over to the cat cages. Two kittens had been playing with several people watching. Well as i walked up, they both stopped playing and sticking there paws past the bar,and doing the meep thing, how looking at me.

i cant take on more animals, but man,
They know when they can tug the heartstrings, don't they.
I know exactly how you feel. I know when I feel like that I want to pick them all up and give them all hugs and kisses! Those poor pettore/shelter babies...

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww!
I feel your pain!!
I do this every time I go visit our shelter. I wish I could bring them all home with me!! It took me awhile to go in the shelter actually, because I know the fate of the poor creatures.

I love each and everyone of them.....
And god bless their little souls.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's very hard to walk away from the shelter and leave them behind... especially the ones with "sad eyes."
And my shelter is no-kill. I cannot imagine how those who work with kill shelters manage it... but I thank goodness there are good, loving people who do bring compassion into those places despite the agony they must feel.

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I dont know why it is that I torture myself. Sometimes I will go to our shelter just to say hello to the poor babies. I will be signing up for voulenteer work very soon we are moving closer to our shelter, so i will be more able to get there!

I want to take every last one of them home, but the other half would not allow. . .