Where were you six years ago today?

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about all the times I have talked with the older generations about major historical moments. They all seem to remember where they were the moment they heard the news from Pearl Harbor to President Kennedy. For our generation its the Trade Center. I would love to here accounts from everyone about where they were and what they were doing. I plan to print it out and keep it mainly for posterity because the only way to not let history repeat is to always remember.

Here is my story.

I woke up, like any other day and jumped right in the shower. We have a shower radio and I would listen to the local talk channel. Most of the time they would do a what if type of scenario, just to spark a discussion. So as I was listening I just assumed it was like any other day. I finished up in the shower, got dressed and made breakfast. My DH was still in bed so I waited untill I was eating to turn on the tv. The first image I saw was a repeat of the first plane, at this time the second plane had not hit the second tower. I stood and watched in awe. I finally came to and ran to the bed room and woke my DH up. I said "honey get up! We are under attack!" He came to pretty quick but was still a little groggy as I dragged him out to the living room. We both just sat on the couch watching the replay. About 10 minutes after the second plane hit. We could not believe our eyes. Watching live tv and seeing it in real time. I called work and said I would not be coming in. They understood and said they would be closed for the day. We just sat there watching tv in complete shock. Then it got worse, the towers fell. The most amazing feat to human technology gone. It showed how strong but weak we all are. About an hour later we decided to run to the store. It was the most surreal thing I have ever seen. No one was out, the air was still due to all the planes being grounded. It was like the world was coming to an end.

I still can not believe it has been 6 years. I still think about all the people who suffered and all the people who are now trying to fight for us. It feels like it happened yesterday. I know it didn't but It is still so clear in my head. I know I will never forget. I always thought things like this were only found in history books not in real life. I still amazes me how much the world has changed since that fateful day in September.

Let us never forget.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The news was shaking me up so badly that I went to look for something to take my mind off of the tragedy. I found The Cat Site! The first post I read was Hissy's bout the planes hitting the WTC.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was still living with my parents at the time. My mother is the secretary at a church and that week she was volunteering to run a Pregnancy Care Center while the regular person was out of town. She wanted me to help at the PCC so I went with her to work early that morning. We hadn't been there very long when the church phone rang. It was the pastor's father calling to let everyone know what had happened. I went into the basement and turned the tv on and watched the second plane hit.

This is a day I will never forget, and I hope no one ever does.

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was driving into work, talking to my boss about how to take over her job while she was out for a week with chicken pox. We had a small tv/vcr in the office, so when I walked through the door, the cook came up to me right away and asked if I would turn on the tv, the WTC had been hit by a plane.
Little did we know at the time it was terrorists, but as we were watching the news, the second plane hit on air.
It was awful and definitely a day I"ll never forget.

The best thing to come out of that day is the wide sense of comraderie, if you will...a uniform feeling for all...America became about America that day. Nothing else mattered. You could feel the "brotherhood" of a nation take over.

But it was a scary feeling to not know what in the world was going on--or where they'd hit next after the pentagon.

Agree with the war or not, I hope all Americans can open their heart for each other (atleast for the day) and embrace the troops and thank them for keeping our great land free. Keep the families of lost loved ones in your heart, too.

To the soldiers who fight for my freedom!!!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was in class in college...before that I had no idea what the WTC even was

I lived downtown Ottawa and my sister called me to get out of there because she thought they would attack our capital. It was scary.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was working in a call center. We serviced retirees, so the calls were constant (and long if you wanted to chat, they were ready). I remember walking into work and thinking it was a gorgeous fall day and I would be inside tied to phone all day. Well, that day the phones went dead. Those that did call wanted to talk about the WTC, not their pension checks. I remember we were all trying to get online news, but the news sites were all bombarded with hits, and they were very slow.

Then people started to get worried about relatives in NYC, the possibility of more attacks, one girl had parents flying that day and she was hysterical. They sent us all home a few hours early (which was pretty darn nice considering we were salaried employees and all had work we could do off the phones). Not that I could concentrate anyway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys for posting. I started this thread shortly after 1130pm pasific standard time and it was a few hours before anyone posted to it. I was staring to think I was the only one who remembered. It had me very worried. There are members of our site who were between the ages of 6 and 8 when it happened. For them this is a history lesson. At that time in their lives they were to young to know what was fully happening. It is up to us, the older generations to help them to remember and understand the importance of that fatefull day. We need to remember that for most of their lives a war has been faught and they don't fully know why or even how it was started.

May all the victims Rest in Peace.

Let us never forget.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
t is up to us, the older generations to help them to remember and understand the importance of that fatefull day
I agree! My niece is now almost 14 and we have talked a lot about 9/11 the past 6 years. She and I even wrote a "song" about it on the first anniversary. I want to make sure that she always remembers as well.

mrs.harris

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was in my 8th grade art class. I remember all my teachers were crying and Mrs.Martin turned on the TV and we saw the second plane hit. At first we were just so confused, but then we learned it was a terorist attack. We just all started crying and out parents checd us out of school and we all went home and prayed think.

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well for me, that morning I got off work at 7am, and got home and went to bed. I usually sleep with the radio on and did this did too. I crashed and did not hear a thing till I woke up for dinner at 6pm, then my mother asked me if I had heard, and I about what, and was told of the tragedy, needless to say I ate the rest of dinner infront of the tv till I had to get ready for work that night. Needless to say that is all we discussed that shift.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was asleep, 7 months pregnant with my youngest son.
I remember getting woke up by a barage of phone calls saying "get up and turn the tv on. All hell has broke loose!"
I turned the tv on as the 2nd plane hit.
Then rushed to pick my oldest son up from daycare early.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was at work and 8 months pregnant with Sierra. I remember exactly what room I was in. I stopped mid stride and just stared at the radio speaker listening to the first plane hit and then the second. I remember I didn't believe what I was hearing.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was at work. One of our co-workers could not get ahold of her husband (in the Pentagon) - she went into hysterics. The boss told her to go home and about an hour later, we got the word that if you wanted to leave you could with no charge to personal leave (I work for the government).

I left, was crying on the way home, and my son came home from school about 1/2 hour after I got home. We had the tv on and just could not look away - it was unbelievable and almost seemed like a movie - not reality.

I didn't know the cell phones had been down, and neither DH nor could get ahold of each other (he was working in construction). He was in Minnesota, me in Maryland.

All I could do was pray to God to keep us safe and let each other know we were ok. I left a message on DH's answering machine (hard lines working) and he called me when he got home.

We could not be physically together, but "held" each other tight over the phone and were both crying. It was right after that, he told me "do what it takes to get you and your son over in Minnesota permanantly". I did

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had been out for lunch and then shopping with a friend, getting ready to see Alien Ant Farm that night in London, my uncle called me and we just laughed at him, he was known for winding people up, then I got a call to ask if I could come into work (I was working for a politician at the time) and I believed my boss. By then the traffic was crazy so I just went home, we were almost there anyway, and watched the news.

The gig went ahead, with proceeds going to help those in need from the WTC so we went, but the band staff and members still hadn't got in touch with all of their family and were running off between sets to try their phone calls again.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was working offsite doing a large inventory audit for one of our auto dealers. I had called the office for an audit update when my co-worker told me a plane hit the WTC. I'm like what???? and then had the guys turn on the TV at the dealership. I was doing working shortly after but didn't leave till I got the ok from work so I watched tv at the dealership that morning. I was off in the afternoon and I remember calling DH to ask if I should go to bank to take out a fair amount of cash just in case we needed cash. That evening I was one of the dumb ones that waited in line for like two hours to get gas-all the gas stations were jammed. (should have waited the next day). That afternoon I was working on a craft project at home and watching the TV in disbelief.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just starting my final year in college. My first class of the day was ironically called Freedom of Speech and it started at 8:50. My professor was slightly annoyed that over half the class didn't show up. Needless to say he didn't know. As I got out of that class I walked across campus to my next one. There were police cars all over the place. Because I went to a rather liberal school so I thought that it was just another drug bust. My professor cut class really short, but only told us to not turn on the internet.

Being given freedom a friend of mine and I decided to go get some pizza and enjoy one of the last beautiful days that Ohio had to offer. Once I was munching down someone told us. I started running to my car. My father was in route to Boston that morning. The first thing I heard was that Perry Nuclear Power Plant was on "high lock down". For those who don't know what that means if you tried to approach the plant with out proper ID they'd arrest you. If you crossed that line they'd shoot you. I panicked.

After I got home I checked the messages. Two from my sisters, one from my husband's commanding officer telling him not to go anywhere and one from my best friend's CO telling him the same thing. At that point I went numb.

Three hours later I found my Dad. His flight had been diverted to New Orleans. It was also the day my husband told me that we were going to have to get married if he went over seas. He wanted me to be able to get housing benefits from the military if it came down to that.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was off work that day and I had gotten up early to catch up on some laundry. I remember the television was on in the living room and the first time I looked at it and seeing the plane hitting the tower and thinking to myself that it was a movies trailer.
It was about 20 minutes later when I looked at it again and they were playing the same thing that I realized what was going on.
I spent most of the day transfixed to the television as I am sure countless other people did as well.

crouchingcheese

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was in tenth grade, in Art Class. The chemistry teacher came running in, and told my art teacher to turn the tv on, they thought it was a suicide thing.

As we were all sitting there watching, the second plane crashed.

Some people came to school and pulled their kids out early, I think the rest of the school did end up letting out an extra hour or two. I remember a lot of crying, and all of the teachers were worried. We spent a lot of time in the lunch room (my school only had about 400 people total in it).

When I got home we prayed together and I called my boyfriend, it was a sad day indeed.