or Connect
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › rat poison?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

rat poison?

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm on a crappy internet connection and the search feature won't load.

I just found one of my two cats playing with a bag of rat poison. We've just moved into a new apartment and had no idea it was there. The bag she had was totally intact, but was next to another, empty bag. Both had been left behind the fridge as bait.

I have no idea if she ate it, or if mice ate it. It would be too early to tell.

Is there any way I can treat my cats with vitamin K myself, or do I need to get them into an ER vet asap?

post #2 of 8
ER vet as soon as possible and I certainly hope they didn't eat any!! It's the only way to know for sure.
post #3 of 8
Originally Posted by taterbug View Post
ER vet as soon as possible and I certainly hope they didn't eat any!! It's the only way to know for sure.
Good luck and vibes that they didn't eat any! Keep us posted
post #4 of 8
I agree, ER vet ASAP. I hope everything is ok!
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Sorry about the lack of response. I had to come over to my parents' tonight to follow up.

The cats are both fine. We ended up taking them in right after I posted. The vet induced vomiting in both, and then we sat around for a few hours while they kept them under observation. We got home at around 1:30am with two incredibly stoned cats. We took advantage of this fact and FURminated Marlon, who usually won't let us brush him.

Marlon probably didn't eat any (at least there wasn't any in the vomit), but Audrey definitely did, so we're just really lucky I was home and close enough to hear her eating. I don't even want to think about what would have happened otherwise. As far as we can tell pretty much everything she ate came up; if she digested any it was fairly minimal. We're keeping a close watch, though, just in case.

They're both on vitamin K pills for a month, and fortunately we bought them some of those treats that you can hide pills in and they love them.

We're going to try to get the real estate company to reimburse us the cost of the vet visit. They were obligated to inform us about the presence of the poison when we moved in. I just can't stop thinking about the fact that their negligence very nearly killed at least one of our cats.
post #6 of 8
Well thank goodness!! Poor babies..
post #7 of 8
Wow you got really lucky!!!
My SIL's dog ate rat poison (they have a dairy farm) not once but twice a few years ago.
They were extremely lucky that their got Chewie to the vet in time the 1st go around and recognized the symptons the second time.
I certainly would go ahead and she if you can get your costs reimbursed. Make sure you tell them where exactly the poison was and make sure no more is hidden anyplace.
I hope they recover well.
post #8 of 8
That is terrifying. I would probably get evicted for strangling someone in the office! Thank god they are okay now and for the future!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › rat poison?