UTI friendly dry cat food

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lexi has a severe UTI. She is currently on a mixture of Orijen and Serengetti. I know that one is UTI friendly so I don't know what is causing her PH to be at a 7.0. The vet gave me prescription Hill's diet and I'm not too keen on that, but will keep her on it until I can find something else that WILL lower her PH. Can any one else suggest other UTI friendly dry cat food? I would appreciate both grain free and grain brands that are SAFE. Thanks!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm thinking that sharky said no grain-frees are truly UTI friendly.

I know all Nutro dry foods are certified UTI safe.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is right NO grain free are UTI friendly for those with the UTI issue ... orijen s mag and total ash are within but ca and phos are not ...

Nutro
Purina
Royal canin
all are uti friendly in certain formulas...

Corn or corn gluten aid s in ph balenceing of chicken

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you arent adverse to wheat( ie allergy )
MAX cat adult and lite are both CERTIFIED for uti health... the others are formulated and do fall within guidelines

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've dealt with the same issue with Leo. After several uti's and pu surgery, the vet put him on Hill's c/d. I also have issues with the food, so I'm mixing it with Nutro Max chicken flavor. It is certified for uti health (I'm not 100% sure that all Nutro versions are, though), and I will probably go to all Nutro Max chicken for dry when the Hill's runs out.

He gets mostly wet food now, as I think the increased liquid intake he gets with more wet food is the biggest factor in keeping him uti-free (imo). I feed them Wellness grain free varieties.

I started a similar thread when I was first dealing with this, and here is sharky's response from that thread:

"DONT SHOOT the messanger ... but Max cat by Nutro and Purinas urinary in both pro plan and One are CERTIFIED for UTI health and aid in prevention of stuvites...

max adult in chn or the max light would be my choices ... yes they have wheat and corn gluten both are actually helpful in UTI health"

Good luck to you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CurlyQ629

I've dealt with the same issue with Leo. After several uti's and pu surgery, the vet put him on Hill's c/d. I also have issues with the food, so I'm mixing it with Nutro Max chicken flavor. It is certified for uti health (I'm not 100% sure that all Nutro versions are, though), and I will probably go to all Nutro Max chicken for dry when the Hill's runs out.

He gets mostly wet food now, as I think the increased liquid intake he gets with more wet food is the biggest factor in keeping him uti-free (imo). I feed them Wellness grain free varieties.

I started a similar thread when I was first dealing with this, and here is sharky's response from that thread:

"DONT SHOOT the messanger ... but Max cat by Nutro and Purinas urinary in both pro plan and One are CERTIFIED for UTI health and aid in prevention of stuvites...

max adult in chn or the max light would be my choices ... yes they have wheat and corn gluten both are actually helpful in UTI health"

Good luck to you!
All our cats were on Purina before and she NEVER had one. She does have the stuvite crystals. My number one concern at this point is reducing her PH and getting her better. So I may have to try one or the other or switch her back to Purina. I just wish I knew a better premium food, that doesn't have all the by products, is safe, and can help prevent UTI's also. I also have the Hill's c/d and will try to find something else in the mean time.

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

All our cats were on Purina before and she NEVER had one. She does have the stuvite crystals. My number one concern at this point is reducing her PH and getting her better. So I may have to try one or the other or switch her back to Purina. I just wish I knew a better premium food, that doesn't have all the by products, is safe, and can help prevent UTI's also. I also have the Hill's c/d and will try to find something else in the mean time.
I know, right?!?! Wouldn't it be great if our food experts on the forum got together & produced the "perfect" cat food!!

Until then, Leo's been doing well for 6 weeks post-surgery on his mostly Wellness grain-free wet, supplemented by Hill's/Nutro dry mix diet. After the vet bills this summer, the "perfect" foods are the ones that will keep him uti free! Good luck finding what works for Lexi!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CurlyQ629

I know, right?!?! Wouldn't it be great if our food experts on the forum got together & produced the "perfect" cat food!!

Until then, Leo's been doing well for 6 weeks post-surgery on his mostly Wellness grain-free wet, supplemented by Hill's/Nutro dry mix diet. After the vet bills this summer, the "perfect" foods are the ones that will keep him uti free! Good luck finding what works for Lexi!
Thanks! I will take a look at Royal Canin and Nutro Max. I hope Leo continues to do well! I know how nerve racking it is to see them uncomfortable and in pain. I had to take her to the e-vet this weekend because she got so bad.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine get Nutro Gourmet Selections i think its called. (the roasted turkey one in the orange bag). Jasmine was having soo many UTI issues recently (she was eating wellness super 5 mix before that) and at the suggestion of Jennifer (Sharky) and lots of research -we switched to Nutrol. I could not be more happy!!!!
It's helped my sweet kitty soooo much and she hasn't had any more issues since the switch!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Mine get Nutro Gourmet Selections i think its called. (the roasted turkey one in the orange bag). Jasmine was having soo many UTI issues recently (she was eating wellness super 5 mix before that) and at the suggestion of Jennifer (Sharky) and lots of research -we switched to Nutrol. I could not be more happy!!!!
It's helped my sweet kitty soooo much and she hasn't had any more issues since the switch!
Great! I was thinking Nutro would be better for UTI's or at least I've heard more about them helping UTI's. I am glad that she is doing better!

Anyone recommend any wet food that is friendly for UTIs?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
wet food much easier... look for mag .022 or .025 and cal and phos under .025 the later two may have to make calls to the companies

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I too switched to Nutro MAX after 3 of 6 kitties got UTIs. Those 3 have not had one single recurrance since switching.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I too switched to Nutro MAX after 3 of 6 kitties got UTIs. Those 3 have not had one single recurrance since switching.
That's great! I will have to try out a small bag.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I picked up a bag of Nutro Max gourmet Roasted chicken. We shall see if that helps get rid of her UTI's. I hope so! It has grain, but at least it doesn't have the by-products and seems to be a pretty safe brand.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree that Nutro MAX isn't the best food. But, one thing I've learned from sharky is that corn helps maintain a normal pH.

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
HI

With your recommodations I also picked up last night at
pet supply a 6 lb. bag of Nutro max roasted chicken(Orange bag)
and stroke of luck it was on sale 3.00 off for this size bag
at pet supply plus this month.
Well results were good, she loves it and I just mixed in
old food.
Also this morning she was running around like someone
put a fire cracker in her bottom. If this works on the UTI
repeats, I will be a very happy camper.

I sure hope it this works for her!! I have tried lots
of different foods, litter and different supplements,
with not luck.
Brenda

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fed Purina One Urinary tract health for 9 years with no problems. I then switched to Royal Canin Special 33 because magnesium was .08. I also had no problems on that food and I fed it for a year.