Smell changed.

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As most of you know I have been having a problem with Samba peeing on things. Well, I always have to smell whatever we think he peed on to make sure its pee and not something that Tubee spilled on. His pee now smells different, and I was wondering if that is a bad thing. We are sure it is Samba peeing not one of the other cats, and Samba i neutered. If you need more info, just ask and I will be happy to answer the best I can.

Manda

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since he has established a pattern of going outside of the box maybe you should try retraining him. Confine him to a room with a litterbox (preferably with Cat Attract litter) and nothing else enticing to pee on. Hopefully he will establish a new pattern of using the box.

If you don't want to leave him closed up all the time maybe you could monitor his "output" and let him out for a time after he has used the box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He was checked about 2 weeks ago for a UTI and the test was negative, but he is prone to UTI's. We don't want to have to bring him to the vet unless we are sure he is sick and not just being bad. He hates car rides and It costs a lot to get him checked so often. We are pretty sure its not a UTI. I was just wondering if the change in smell was a bad thing. Thanks for any advice.

Manda

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by proudmomof3cats

He was checked about 2 weeks ago for a UTI and the test was negative, but he is prone to UTI's. We don't want to have to bring him to the vet unless we are sure he is sick and not just being bad. He hates car rides and It costs a lot to get him checked so often. We are pretty sure its not a UTI. I was just wondering if the change in smell was a bad thing. Thanks for any advice.

Manda
The change in smell would make me think something medical but since this has been going on for a while

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your help. If anyone else has had this or has some more advice it would be appreciated.

Manda

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anything else changed? Is he eating the same food in the same quantity? Is he drinking more or less than before?