need advice/help with applying soft paws

charliefarley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi i need a little advice from all experts out there at applying soft paws.
I have just tried to apply the first one as a tester to see how kitty and paws get on. But i cannot get them to stick i was initially afraid to put to much adhesive on afraid kitty would get stuck together or something
but then i gradually put more in and really thought it has stuck.
I watched kitty for 10 minutes and she bit it of within seconds.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you trim the nail first?
Did you hold onto kitty for a few minutes before turning him loose to ensure the glue had time to set?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charliefarley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes trimmed nails and held onto Charlie for at least five mins and then watched her for another five then as soon as she got near claws it was off

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh, I got nothing then. Sorry! Maybe one of our experienced soft-paws users has some other ideas.

charliefarley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you thread has been very interesting maybe i should try different glue although i thought that maybe the glue was special for cats or something.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I believe it's just super glue or like nail glue that comes with human press on nails... the glue you got may just be bad... I have used regular super glue with no problem (Just gotta be careful as with the included glue that it doesnt seep out over the top of the caps) before and I think I actually might do that regularly cuz has anyone else noticed that squeezing the glur tubes that come with the soft paws is really hard?!?! I also find that there's not enough (or at least I can't get enough out) to last the whole pack?

tia2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fortunately, I haven't had any problems. I'm filling the cap at least half full, but with the pink ones it's hard for me to tell how much I'm using. It may be seeping out when I put it on...is that really bad?

If she's tugging at them then it may not be the glue. Once she settles down, and leaves them alone (which took my cat about 5 minutes per nail) I'd let mine go a bit after each one so it wasn't so traumatic.

It may be the glue though, because the glue I have (that came with it) held TIGHT almost instantly!! (10 second maybe?)

charliefarley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi thanks for all your replies and just to update I have checked the date on the glue and it seems that it was out of date in 2006 not that i would have thought that would make a difference but maybe it just might be the problem.
I have only just purchased although on ebay.
I applied one with false nail glue just 20 minutes ago and Charlie has not noticed it as yet as after getting a little uptight, because i kept playing with paws to try and get a claw she would let me apply one to, she has fallen into a deep sleep with the help of a lot of treats hehehe.
Will let you know if it stays on although i did notice that although a good snug fit her claw as it had been clipped did not fill the whole soft paw not sure if this is correct but if it stays on that would be a good start

tia2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Same thing with me. I have smalls and mediums and the smalls fit better. The mediums look like there's too much space at the tip. One suggestion to me was to snip off a little from the open end (to make it a tad shorter) and it worked much better for us. Maybe you can try that too?

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
If some glue does seep out the top: I always have a few Q-tips next to me when I'm applying Oliver's soft paws and if glue seeps out I just quickly swipe with the Q-tip... The worst I've had happen is a bit of his toe hair got into the glue, but it just fell off when the cap fell off without leaving a bald spot or anything... hasn't happened since I started the Q-Tipping though... works for me, but Oliver's pretty cooperative with the application process

charliefarley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HELP
I have just put third soft paw on and it didn't stick although i thought it had now soft paw if off and charlies nail is stuck with glue in her fur can't retract nail out as stuck fast will it harm her when she tries to lick it she has not noticed yet

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
the glue will eventually wear off. you might try cutting one to make it shorter & reapplying it.

i usually try 'moving' the soft claw with my finger before releasing the cat. that way i can tell if the glue has 'grabbed' onto the nail or not. if the nail is really short & the soft claw is a large size, it sometimes doesn't stay put.

charliefarley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes thank you i panicked not getting along at all well with these despite all your great advice maybe i am just not good at this type of thing.
The other soft paw has fallen off now so i am back to one which i put on last evening. Charlie was very patient but i think she is now loseing her patience with me taking so long with applying them to no avail.

I have trimmed them back short to allow for her clipped kitten size nails and they look to fit ok athough rather short. I am about to give up as i feel so sorry for her

tia2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you're having such a hard time with it. Maybe take some time off and try again at another time? If I lived near you I would come over and help you out.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you take her to your vet or a groomer to see if perhaps someone there can help you this first time? This would also be a good chance for you to watch them do it.

charliefarley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will take time out as suggested as now charlie has two claws stuck with glue and a rather pink looking claw due to chewing off my very last attempt this evening athough last time i looked 3 were in place on one paw with one glued claw in amongst them

Take care and i will update if anything more positive to tell you I feel really cruel at this moment in time.

charliefarley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Could you take her to your vet or a groomer to see if perhaps someone there can help you this first time? This would also be a good chance for you to watch them do it.
Hi i am afraid vets here in the UK have little heard of this product and i have contacted a few who are not willing to apply them as i told them they are glued on and they thought they were just pushed on. So i am yet to find a vet who has any experience with these at all.
Groomers here have never heard of them only about 150 miles away from my home town which would be to far to travel. So as you see i am a little alone with this were i live.