I want a kitten.

animal_cracker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im gonna just be straight up. I dont like being alone and yet things are getting kinda rough for me.

I have class from 9-3, no job, no real hobbies (outside of the usuals) for the weekdays, etc.

I do have a girlfriend but I really only get to see her Th-Sun, and maybe an hour or two on some week days.

I think I want a cat. My sister picked up a litter and a mama kitty and I simply loved the mama kitty. She was so sweet. The kittens were awesome too, but they went fast, of course.

Shes getting a new litter in October so Im probably gonna get either a kitten or the cat, if it has a good personality.

Im told to look for something playful so I dont have a "garfield" cat. I want a guy who would be ok with me wanting to give it attention, haha.

Anyways, I've already asked a few questions to a few friends, but I have one more.

Im at an apartment and Im worried about the cat and its outside life. Im afraid if I let it out it will either get lost or possibly ran over. First, is it important that a cat is let outside to wander? Im told I can get a harness, but isnt that self defeating?

Any tips for choosing a cat that would be right for me?

I failed at trying to find a hobby (almost went for a bonsai tree!) but I think a cat would be good for me.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, Welcome to TCS!
I would keep your kitty indoors only when you get it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

animal_cracker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I understand about a kitten, but how about cats? How important is it that they go outside? Can they be indoor cats for their entire life? Or a great majority?

I should also mention that Im perfectly OK with an older cat. Sure, everyone wants a kitten (it was just the stage of a cat's life that I chose for the topic), and yeah, it would definitely help me sell the pet to my roommates... but I just feel so bad for the fully grown cats at the pound. Im sure they get put away at alarming rates. I would feel terrible not helping against this.

So yeah, if my sister gets a really nice mama kitty, Im so going for one of those. Just sucks that I cant call her Jacques or Cousteau (or both. Really really liked those names) but Ill think of a name equally awesome that isnt too generic like 'Rose' (no offense to cat owners with a cat named rose!)

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can live quite happily indoors as long as they have lots to do, a window to look out of & the right food & medical care.
Up until I got Blossom nearly a yr ago my cats were indoor/outdoor, all spayed & neutered. My 3rd last cat was killed on the road. I decided when Blossom came along to keep her indoors only. My husband & sons have taken her outside in their arms a few times & after each time she wants to go out. I'm very vigilant in making sure the door is latched properly. On the most part, she will only sit at the door whenever someone goes in/out.
Have you had cats b4, kittens are pretty lively at times & get into lots of mischief. If you want a more laid back cat, I'd suggest an older rescue cat that's used to living indoors. Do lots of research on what indoor cats need.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Animal_Cracker

I understand about a kitten, but how about cats? How important is it that they go outside? Can they be indoor cats for their entire life? Or a great majority?

I should also mention that Im perfectly OK with an older cat. Sure, everyone wants a kitten (it was just the stage of a cat's life that I chose for the topic), and yeah, it would definitely help me sell the pet to my roommates... but I just feel so bad for the fully grown cats at the pound. Im sure they get put away at alarming rates. I would feel terrible not helping against this.

So yeah, if my sister gets a really nice mama kitty, Im so going for one of those. Just sucks that I cant call her Jacques or Cousteau (or both. Really really liked those names) but Ill think of a name equally awesome that isnt too generic like 'Rose' (no offense to cat owners with a cat named rose!)
Welcome to TCS!

Actually, many of us would recommend getting an older cat instead of a kitten. An older cat already has its personality set, and it won't get into as much "trouble" as a kitten does. And you are right, many more adult cats get put to sleep.

In my opinion, it's not important for cats to be allowed outside. Many of us have indoor-only kitties. Outside cats have a much shorter lifespan, due to cars, predators, diseases, etc. You might have a little trouble if the cat is used to being allowed outside, but there are ways to help that too.

Good luck!

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
y Milky
te saludan!
!........

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina and Milky say hello to you!!!...
)

See you on the forums!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

animal_cracker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll certainly do my research about properly maintaining a cat.

I personally have never owned a cat, however, like I said, my sister did care for a litter, and while I wasnt aroudn them often, only on the weekends, I can understand the attention they need. I even had to take one to the vet (poor girl wasnt eating because she had a small sore on her tongue that we didnt know about.)

Also, Im sure my sister would have absolutely no problem holding on to a kitten for a few months until I can take it home... though it would be nice to get one later on this year rather than the beginning of 2008.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there and welcome! All 3 of my cats are indoor only! Chablis used to go out and nibble on the grass while we were taking in groceries but not anymore. ! All 3 of mine are very happy as long as they have the french door to stare out of during the day and a sunspot to lay in! I had 2 cats get killed on a road, and refuse to allow them outside without very very strict supervision! But to each their own!
Good luck getting your new kitty
I'm sure you'll make a great owner!

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome !
All my cats have been indoor only. The most important thing is to make certain they have the proper care - shots, spay/neuter and once a year check-ups

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully everything works out for you getting a new companion!

Just make sure you have all the supplies you need before you get a kitten or cat. A kitten is a lot of work but just depends on your situation & how much time you have to train it. An adult cat already has its personality, so you could just ask for a hyper active adult.

It is safer to have an indoor cat only but with supervised outdoor time. Since it is going to be inside, make sure it has activities its interested in.

You could have a new hobby - making items for your new kitten/cat. Thats always fun, thats what we do. Our house has all kinds of handmade cat stuff. It can get addicting!

Update us all on when you get your new kitten or cat!

kerry'n'ben

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
welcome to TCS
i have two kittens and both are indoors only because i live near a main road, however, i do take out on harness' a few times a week particularly if it is warm. If you want an older cat i would recommend trying to find one that is used to being indoors. i agree that older cats can be easier on the mischievous front but it depends on you and what you are looking for. it sounds like you would prefer an older cat so i say go for it
good luck and keep us posted