Can cats sense *cat lovers* ???(sorta a rant too)

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really honestly think they sniff ya out!!

Tonite on my walk I encountered a mama cat with 4 kittens(OMG they were all sooooo cute!!!) They had the polydactyl feet
Anyways, and the mama cat looked pregnant again
I am thinking about rescuing her and getting her spayed, I spoke with the *owner* briefly tonite and she doesnt give a rats behind about the cat/kittys....this will be her 3rd litter in like 6 mos!!
So I call the shelter and ask them if they can take them, and they said not right now because of a few cats there that may have upper resp infections....they cant risk bringing in anymore cats.

Anyways, after that ordeal, another kitty came leaping out of nowhere, and followed me several blocks, so I walked it back to where it came from, and talked with some man outside, and said it wasnt his.....sooo everytime I would leave it, it continued to keep following me...so I got to my car and drove it to my house, with intentions of finding its owners, and thankfully I did!!
Sooo is it just me, or do cats sense a cat lover?

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not sure. I have actually read somewhere that cats, sense the non cat lovers. For example if you have a bunch of cats and you have a guests over and 1 doesn't like cats, then the cat will go straight to that person and sit on their lap.
Apparently the reasoning behind it, is that a non cat lover won't touch the cat or try move it, therefore the cat can sleep on a warm lap in peace without being patted.

Apparently a cat will sooner go to a non cat lover than to a cat lover. Sounds weird, but logical, I have seen it a few times too.

nightcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No I dont think kittys know the good guys from the bad guys.Ive picked up many cats over the years and only one or two of them have actually been appreciative

I think your kitty knew what he was doing though...he's a very lucky kitty

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always suspected it is a combination of body language towards cats/animals, voice, and the fact that you probably already smell like cat.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by nightcats

No I dont think kittys know the good guys from the bad guys.Ive picked up many cats over the years and only one or two of them have actually been appreciative

My cats always take some time to warm up to people. With a total stranger, you wouldnt even know I had cats, except for the cat accessories.

But there is this older gentlemen, who has always been a dear friend of the family in his early 90's now, who absolutely adores cats. Hes one of the extreme few that my cats loved, immediately and will go straight to him, sit beside him, let him rub their bellies
They knew from the beginning they he loved them.

Also with my Easy, she ran straight to me when I first saw her, she showed me her belly, she gave me really sweet cat kisses, slept curled up to me, from the first night, but strangers (which I was when she first met me) she will hide from.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DIEGO

I am not sure. I have actually read somewhere that cats, sense the non cat lovers. For example if you have a bunch of cats and you have a guests over and 1 doesn't like cats, then the cat will go straight to that person and sit on their lap.
Apparently the reasoning behind it, is that a non cat lover won't touch the cat or try move it, therefore the cat can sleep on a warm lap in peace without being patted.

Apparently a cat will sooner go to a non cat lover than to a cat lover. Sounds weird, but logical, I have seen it a few times too.
I read somewhere that it is because people who don't like cats don't look at them, which in cat language is polite. So they gravitate toward people that follow their rules (if that makes sense). I know my mom HATED cats but if there was a cat around it would be wrapped around her ankles trying to get her attention.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats always seem to sniff me out. It's not uncommon for cats to follow me home if I go out for a run. They definitely know I'm a cat lover. During the summer I have at least one cat follow me home about 5 times a week. I know all the owners and they don't seem to mind as long as their cat is back home in the morning.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think so. Otherwise a number of cats (that we rescued) wouldn't have gravitated to DH & I over the years.
It's like we have a neon sign or something.

Just over Labor Day weekend we found a stray torti who just sauntered right up to us. We would have had the shelter take her, but she got out of the crate and garage overnight (animal control is only 8-5 around here). She seemed grateful for the food and dry/warm place to sleep for the night.
We have been keeping our eyes peeled for her since then.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My SO is a cat magnet. Even the shyest cat will go to him. I have seem him be able to pet ferals that no one else can get near.
Fluffy was dropped of by a busy highway in front of the tattoo shop where he works, and when he saw her tapping on the window to be let in, he walked out. It took all of 30 seconds for her to be in is lap, purring and informing him that he was now her person. She got right in the car with me when he told her to go with me and he would be along later. She sat politely in the backseat on the ride home. Wouldn't you know, one of the few times I was without a carrier in the car.
She is now a spoiled little Princess who loves her Daddy.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I read somewhere that it is because people who don't like cats don't look at them, which in cat language is polite. So they gravitate toward people that follow their rules (if that makes sense). I know my mom HATED cats but if there was a cat around it would be wrapped around her ankles trying to get her attention.
I've also heard that. Though I'm a cat lover the cat who lives next door to my workplace won't come near me

yasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think they can, or at least mine. My cats dont go to just anyone. but it seems as if they go to cat lovers though. My sister hates animals and yasmine will stay far away and sit across the room and stare at her.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

From what I've read this behavior is because cat people tend to make eye contact which is a challenge or dominating to a cat. They will also make overtures to the cat, which is aggressive cat language, effectively. So, non-cat people won't look at them (submissive behavior), and allow the cat to extend friendship on their own time, which establishes trust...

Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

Cats always seem to sniff me out. It's not uncommon for cats to follow me home if I go out for a run. They definitely know I'm a cat lover. During the summer I have at least one cat follow me home about 5 times a week. I know all the owners and they don't seem to mind as long as their cat is back home in the morning.
I think they can smell emotion. I know Noel can always tell when I'm feeling something extreme, so I think it makes sense that they can tell something. I think this would also support the "don't date anyone your animal doesn't like" theory.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

From what I've read this behavior is because cat people tend to make eye contact which is a challenge or dominating to a cat. They will also make overtures to the cat, which is aggressive cat language, effectively. So, non-cat people won't look at them (submissive behavior), and allow the cat to extend friendship on their own time, which establishes trust...
Strangely, my Sho is the exact opposite of this. If he's used to someone enough to be out in the room they're in and the person makes even slight eye contact with him, he'll be over hounding them. He takes being looked at as some sort of acknowledgment. Then again he's a bit slow sometimes...

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL, Noel is like that too, but I think that comes from the attitude that she just rules the roost.. she doesn't care if you make contact or not, she considers herself queen. All others are submissive to her.