Questions to the Breeders

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sometimes check on Ocicat breeders websites for available kittens. I find that most are advertising mainly female kittens available - I want a male. Do breeders tend to offer the females first and keep the males or what?

If so, why is that?

When I was breeding my rexes, I always offered both male/female and had a waiting list for choice.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My females seem to get snapped up first. Which is strange because I'm convinced the boys make better pets overall. I offer whichever gender I have available at the same time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do too Nial - love the boys and if given a choice, will take a male every time. I'm now considering either the Chocolate Silver or a Cinnamon Silver male for my 2nd Ocicat. Name will still be the same - Captain Jack Sparrow

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think most breeders would want females to complete their catteries foundation. Once that's done you start looking for the boys!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

My females seem to get snapped up first. Which is strange because I'm convinced the boys make better pets overall. I offer whichever gender I have available at the same time.
Unfortunately, I think a lot of people are afraid that even with neutering the boys might start spraying.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

I think most breeders would want females to complete their catteries foundation. Once that's done you start looking for the boys!
Right, but we're talking about people looking for pets.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I sometimes check on Ocicat breeders websites for available kittens. I find that most are advertising mainly female kittens available - I want a male. Do breeders tend to offer the females first and keep the males or what?

If so, why is that?

When I was breeding my rexes, I always offered both male/female and had a waiting list for choice.
Maybe the males are allready booked? Few males? I can't see a good reason not to advertise the males if there are males. I'm more interested in keeping females than males. Breeders who contact me mostly want females and the ones that want pets want the boys.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I can think of is those relatively seldom occassions when someone wants a stud, a couple of breeders I know have kept boys for longer to see how they develop - if you only have room to house 1 or 2 studs you want to make sure you're getting the absolutely best boy to complement your queens' looks and improve your lines, the breeders I speak to do sometimes keep male kittens for a while to see how they fill out if one of their close friends is interested in a potential stud iyswim. That's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head!

I prefer boys really

bluekat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

If so, why is that?

My boys go faster than the girls. Waiting lists are almost all people who want a boy. Some of my boys are sold before they are born. Therefore I may only have females available in some litters, because the boys are taken already.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That makes sense then - guess when DH finally gives me the ok to get that 2nd Oci, then I'll get on a waiting list and try to be patient.

He knows I could just go get one now, but we don't make major decisions unless both agree to it

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I find this interesting...boys vs girls. Growing up our pets were ALWAYS female, never really thought much about it. I had asked my mom why and she thought boys would lift legs in the house because that's what ALL males did. Of course back then people didn't spay/neuter like they do now so that was probably true. I remember a neighbor who has this small dog and the moment he saw you he would attach himself to your leg and hump away.

I think people still have that perception today. Personally, I've come to love the boys and prefer them over females. It didn't start out that way, just sort of happened. So now I have a home of all males (2 cats & 2 dogs). It also seems to be that way with fosters. ALL my foster cats have been males, again never planned, just sort of happened.

Yesterday I had a phone interview with a potential adopter for one of my Siamese fosters and the conversation led to male vs female. He has been a cat owner for 15 years and said he had always preferred the males to females when it came to personalities.

So I'm curious, as breeders, what is your preference and why? How are males and females different in personalities? Is it true that males are most affectionate and playful? I'm sure there is also a difference between altered and unaltered personalities as well.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah - give me a male any day (cats). But I prefer female dogs....
Have had the "leg" thing happen too many times when I was around male dogs.....

As an ex breeder, you can only have so many non-neutered males in the house. So most of my males were neutered purebreds - only one entire male for breeding. I've had several females (various breeds) and find that males really are nicer personalities in general.