To vaccinate or not to, that is the question

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, I believe in kitten shots 100% but after that, if you have an indoor only cat is it really necessary?
This is my first time having my OWN cats and they are indoor cats so getting rabies shots would be ridiculous. But I'm afraid that other vaccinations would do more harm then good, just immunocompromise them between the vet trip and getting the vaccination (especially since one is prone to infection) with no REAL benefit, there are so many diseases out there you can't vaccinate against, why make them prone to getting those?. I also know one of our neighbours indoor cats died at 4 years old from complications associated with a vaccine, hasn't vaccinated (past kitten stage) since and has had all her cats live 15+ years. So is it really necessary or beneficial?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, first of all, yearly or twice yearly trips to the vet for exams are very important! Whether you vaccinate or not, vet check-ups aren't something to skip.

Whether or not you vaccinate is up to you. I plan to give rabies & distemper every 3 years for my indoor onlies as well as my outdoor cats. That is what the AVMA says is standard now.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was the vaccine complication a vaccine-related cancer? Because if so, they now make vaccines that don't use the additive that causes the cancer.

Also, rabies vaccines may be required by law where you live as they are here.

What makes you say that vaccines make your cats immunocompromised?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
so you can just schedule the kitties for a yearly checkup? (so far i've already taken them, one had a uti and is going back next week to make sure it's clear, the other was fine but i was being an overprotective mama)
and just out of curiousity, why rabbies vaccinate your indoor cats? Even if they got loose, the actual chance of them getting bit by a rabid animal on that one time outside as far as I can tell from research, is much much lower then any complications from a vaccine.

but good to know that it's only reccomended every three years.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
vaccination, even dead vaccines, cause your cat to fight it so he can gain the immunity, while his body is using his fighitng machinery to fight this it makes him susceptible to other infections etc. since he is already fighting something, in essence (this is in humans as well) your defenses against other illnesses goes down.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
yes ... you schedule a wellness check and specify no shots ...

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
why rabbies vaccinate your indoor cats? Even if they got loose, the actual chance of them getting bit by a rabid animal on that one time outside as far as I can tell from research, is much much lower then any complications from a vaccine.
It's important to get the Rabies vaccine even for indoor animals, simply because it's required by law. In the odd chance someone might get bitten by one of them and have to go to the ER, the animal would then have to be impounded for a quarantine period and the owner could potentially be fined and it's possible that the animal would not be returned to the owner (depending on the laws of your city/county/country).
I worked for animal control, and we had to deal with this daily with both dogs and cats.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I foster. Bottle fed kittens, strays with unknown hisotry. They could very well have rabies.....I'm trying not to risk it too much.

sunfairie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do not vax my human babies.
We use holistic means for healing our bodies.

You can do the same with animals-from what I read.

We use homeopathy, bach flower, and vitamins for wellness.
If I could find a vet to follow with me-which I believe I do have one close-I will follow that route. Doesn't seem fair to vax my fur babies and not my human babies.

I don't know.....need to read more.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lmunsie

First of all, I believe in kitten shots 100% but after that, if you have an indoor only cat is it really necessary?
This is my first time having my OWN cats and they are indoor cats so getting rabies shots would be ridiculous. But I'm afraid that other vaccinations would do more harm then good, just immunocompromise them between the vet trip and getting the vaccination (especially since one is prone to infection) with no REAL benefit, there are so many diseases out there you can't vaccinate against, why make them prone to getting those?. I also know one of our neighbours indoor cats died at 4 years old from complications associated with a vaccine, hasn't vaccinated (past kitten stage) since and has had all her cats live 15+ years. So is it really necessary or beneficial?
I'm pretty much with you on this. There is the possibility of some unforseeable situation that could put your cats in contact with an infected animal. But from what I've read I agree with you that the risks from vaccines is greater.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been wondering about this myself. Frankie is a little past due for her annual check up and poor Wickett hasn't seen a vet since his neuter. I plan on taking them both in sometime this month for a check up but I'm wondering what vaccinations are necessary as they are both indoor only. I know rabies is required here but is there anything else that they really need?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
After losing our Bijou for 4 days I was very happy that he was up-to-date on his vaccines.

As the other poster says, if your cat should bite someone, the cat can be seized and put into quarantine. I'd rather avoid that for my cat so I'll get the rabies shots that are required in our area.

As for the other vaccines, our vet now does the 3 yr. vaccines and I'm just one of those old fogies that prefer to err on the side of caution and get the dang shots.

I volunteer at our local shelter and I handle and pet other animals so I'm never sure what bacteria or germs I may bring into our home on my clothing so prefer to protect our kitties by having them up-to-date on vaccines.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

After losing our Bijou for 4 days I was very happy that he was up-to-date on his vaccines.
Does this mean Bijou has returned?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

Does this mean Bijou has returned?
Yes, our handsome boy is home and safe.

In the process we found out what a wonderful neighbourhood we live in and how caring they are. We had neighbours coming to the door asking if he had come home yet, others stopping while passing to ask after him - it was truly special to know there are still good neighbourhoods. Yesterday around 4 pm a neighbour from across and down the street came to the door and said his dog had a cat cornered in their back yard under a tree and it might be our Bijou. It was. John says we are going to have this couple over for dinner and buy a big steak for their dog.

OK - hijack over.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad bijou made it home, I would die if my guys went missing
And whitecat, I would also agree with vaccinations if you are bringing in strays, there is no point at all in risking it.....that's for all the thoughts on this guys .

I will be doing some homeopathic healing (I have bach products) however I know there are some things I need meds for......

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lmunsie

I'm glad bijou made it home, I would die if my guys went missing
And whitecat, I would also agree with vaccinations if you are bringing in strays, there is no point at all in risking it.....that's for all the thoughts on this guys .

I will be doing some homeopathic healing (I have bach products) however I know there are some things I need meds for......
Thank you.

I agree, if you are bringing in strays or fostering, IMO you should have your cats up-to-date on vaccinations.

I also agree that homeopathic remedies is a great way to go, but I also believe there are some things that one needs "stronger" stuff to deal with the problem.