How do you stop the 'cat smell'

my cat mellow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am from England but currently live in Yorktown V
Ok so I dont actually notice a smell in the apartment, I think its because I am home most of the time so I have become imune to it, But hubby gets home from work and often comments on it, its not a particular smell, not pee or poo, its just that animal smell,

What are your tips for keeping your house smelling fresh?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Febreze is a wonderful thing! My house can get like that, especially when it is hot and humid outside. I try to spray it on my couch and chairs at least once a day and use I Love My Carpet powder (or something like it) when I vacuum. Especially with my dogs...when they go out in the rain, that "wet dog" smell stays for days!

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

We don't really have a problem with that. I scoop the boxes 2-3 times a day. I vacuum 2-3 times a week. And I try to open the windows regularly. All of that seems to keep our place smelling fresh.
Same here. I also bathe the kits every two weeks. I am immune to the 'pet smell', and I dread when winter comes and everything is closed up. I think no matter how clean one is, there is still going to be a slight 'pet smell' unless one goes the artificial way and uses sprays. And carpets have to be steamed once a year too, right.

laine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a similar problem also, i dont really notice my house smelling like cat, but when my sister comes over, she comments on it, i guess fabreeze etc is the best answer...

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had anyone tell me my apartment smells like a cat.
In fact when the complex was inspected a year or 2 ago, the inspector was impressed that our place didn't smell like anything. The cable guy said the same thing.

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's funny. My boyfriend ALWAYS comments on how there is absolutely to "cat smell" in our apartment. He says he's gone to huge houses with only one cat and it just stinks like cat. I have two adult cats and one kitten in a 750 s.f. apartment...no smell here.

I can only say that in my case, my cats do not go outside. I clean the house once a week, clean their litter boxes 2-4 times a day and use World's Best Litter. Also, my apartment is tiled.

Do you have carpet? I can see how that could absorb smells.

Do your kitties smell? Maybe it's the litter box? How often do you clean it? Do you sanitize it and put fresh litter in regularly?

Good luck with your "cat smell."

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've found that the animal smell goes away once there is no longer a man in the house. Nothing worse than stinky man-feet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

my cat mellow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am from England but currently live in Yorktown V
Thanks, I did try baking soda yesterday on the carpet before i vacuumed I think it made a slight difference but it probably needs to be left longer.

Mellow doesn't smell, but it has been so humid here I really don't think that helps with the smell

I clean weekly, and Mellow is an indoor cat, so I guess its to do with the weather...Rain is forecast tonight, so maybe I ll get to open the windows, Mellow loves this because there are so many different sounds for him to listen to when they are open

I put fresh litter in last week, I do it weekly or 2 weekly and scoop every day its only been the last 2 weeks when hubbys noticed the smell...bring on the cool weather

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't say that I know what kind of smell everyone is talking about. Is it your house or your cat? I can stick my nose in my cat's fur and it smells like nothing. He is indoor and never gets a bath.

As for litterbox, ours is in the basement so I don't smell it. Although more than anything the litterbox smells of carbon. I had a garage sale a few months ago and a lot of the stuff that was stored in the basement smelled like carbon.